Apple: "If You Want To Criticize Religion, Write a Book"

TheNarrator

Feb 12, 2010
TWEWER said:
I'm really glad that Apple had the balls to law down the law in the most simple way possible. They don't want to put up with shitty apps or pretentious bullshit. They never said anything about games not being able to explore deeper themes. All Apple said was that they don't want their platform to be used as a soapbox for your religious or political preaching. And they are well within their rights to maintain that policy.
I would agree with you if Apple didn't have a complete monopoly on the applications sold for their devices (something that I regard as immoral and wrong in itself, but that's not the topic now). But as it stands, they have almost complete control everything you do on your device, so banning applications for being offensive is plain and simple censorship, making Apple a direct enemy of free speech.

I'm glad to actually see some people responding negatively to this. The complete lack of criticism of Apple's bullshit in my direct environment disturbs me immensely. Almost everyone will say that freedom is an important value, yet very few seem to be willing to defend their freedom in practice.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
erttheking said:
teh_gunslinger said:
And that's why I've been ranting about fucking Steve Jobs and Apple for neigh on 10 years.

Nice going, all you consumerist sheep who bought their products. Think different my ass. None of you ever thought an independent thought. You just wanted the shinies.
Right right, because I bought something that you don't approve of, I'm a sheep. Could you be any more insulting. God, sheep is turning into such a generic buzzword that it's slowly losing all meaning.
That being said, Apple IS basically saying that they're going to be a nanny state now, so maybe you can see where people are coming from in this case?

either way it seems rather strange that they're now trying to close the barn door years after it would have made any difference, as if now they suddenly have standards or something

Apr 5, 2008
"Games, films, apps, comics, music, and books should all be held to the same standard," he told GamesBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/15/apple-want-to-criticize-religion-write-a-book-dont-make-a-game/]. "To suggest that there is an invisible line that says it's OK to say something in a book but not in a game? That feels wrong to me."
The mediums are different. It might feel wrong to you but I would agree with Apple on this one. There are things that can be expressed in a book that cannot be in a video game or movie, and this goes the same whichever way around it's considered.

I don't strictly agree with the censorship, but I do agree that apps, movies, books and songs should be handled differently. Not all ideas and concepts belong in a free app and with kids running amok on the service Apple do have a responsibility to keep shit away from them. The consequences of not doing so would be worse than any controversy about standards. There is a line and while not well defined, it's a good idea to keep the app store in some form of check. Actually, it should be patrolled harder, particularly apps with microtransactions which allow kids to spend $1,000s of their parents money on twinkly stars and golden coins.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
This is why Apple any corporation sucks. They are such control freaks.
Fixed. You could say that about Microsoft too. They aren't has freedom loving as people want them to think.

TheNarrator said:
I would agree with you if Apple didn't have a complete monopoly on the applications sold for their devices (something that I regard as immoral and wrong in itself, but that's not the topic now). But as it stands, they have almost complete control everything you do on your device, so banning applications for being offensive is plain and simple censorship, making Apple a direct enemy of free speech.

I'm glad to actually see some people responding negatively to this. The complete lack of criticism of Apple's bullshit in my direct environment disturbs me immensely. Almost everyone will say that freedom is an important value, yet very few seem to be willing to defend their freedom in practice.
But, but we don't want freedom! We have as much as we need and no more! There's no need for us to take apart our phone and see what's inside as we love Apple and promise not to make them angry!

/sarcasm

This mentality is why I left both Apple and Microsoft and went straight to Linux for the majority of my work. Some of us want to know what's inside our phones, and a good chunk of us like our freedom. We're not ready to give up our freedom just for using a locked down device.

teh_gunslinger said:
My point is: Apples marketing is aimed at annoying hipster types that think they're unique snowflakes. They then buy the most closed of eco system available that basically allows only one way of doing anything. The Way of Jobs. That's why I call people sheep. Because they listen to obnoxious marketing. If they/you thought about it for more than a second you'd realise that Apple is actively harming the consumer.
No need to make it personal against the guy you're discussing it with. I agree with you, but you're forgetting that most people aren't technologically savvy. 10 years ago, it was predicted that we'd all have some idea of what goes on inside a computer, but people can't even tell me what certain "buttons" do. I'd say it's more Apple's fault for actively brainwashing the consumer by realizing that no one knows exactly what's going on inside their product when they have a certain feature.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
That's a shame... There are better ways to sort these apps then just rejecting the ones that a corporate giant deems as proper and safe. Shame on Apple.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
In my opinion, it all comes down to being a pain in the ass and not wanting to understand what Apple meant by what the said, or having common sense and reading between the lines.
Basically, it says it's not taking chances with games that tackle heavy matters unless they are deep in content, as much as most books and movies do. A strategy game, probably as superficial as every other strategy game in the app store, going about an actual and CURRENT conflict... Well, that's controversial, potentially offensive (many people who take part in conflicts find the games offensive), and it's not the sort of thing you'd want to put in your store, hell, Six Days in Fallujah also got canceled for those reasons, people just didn't speak the words.
If the game had the depth of a book to it, of a documentary, it would probably pass, I believe, after all, the app store (in the Mac) has games that could be considered "controversial" but have enough content to go over it.
Last but not least, it's hard to do an honest game about a current conflict, it's not over, not enough facts are known.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Really? Someone decided to dispense with the legalese and go back to "I'll decide what is and isn't allowed by my own judgment, whatever process that may describe"? That's pretty damn audacious.

Vasily D'Souva

Jan 16, 2013
I can see Apple blocking something like "Endgame Syria" and having a defense for doing so (I vehemently disagree with this defense) without being political in its censorship. But when it bans something like "Drone+"? I don't see how anyone could argue that an app pinpointing the locations of US drone strikes on a map was ?not useful or entertaining enough? because I sure as hell could have used it. And then to block it later for being ?excessively objectionable or crude content?? How is that anything other that political censorship?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I regret not getting an android :(....I missed out on a snes emulator

you know what? I dont get it....I don't get people who go crazy over iphone and wait in lines to get the latest model

I have an iphone 5 and you know whats amazing about it? NOTHING absolutly nothing....at best its a useful device for accessing the internet...at worst its an expensive brick I'm stuck with for 2 years...as it is it is not a big fucking deal

I hate to make sweeping generalisations and call people names but.....but what the hell is wrong with some people?

anian

Sep 10, 2008
So basically "Think different" is now totally untrue, since there's no thinking about the content left for the users and definitely nothing different since everything has to be the way Apple decides.

I know this decision is really about Apple trying to avoid potential lawsuits, but negative reaction and experience is still an experience that influences the way people think. Instead of using their omnipresent power and control on their platforms to do what they like and allow experiments and risky stuff (I mean in terms of design and ideas, not necessarily adult and religious content) while still keeping users, they choose to just be extra conservative with a basically very liberal false image.

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
If at all possible, I'd never ever want to talk about religion or politics ever. As a result, I could not care less if it is forbidden to make apps based around the subject.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I must be missing something, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Apple provides a service and they wont support certain things on it. If you're fine with that then ok, if you're not then buy from someone else.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
teh_gunslinger said:
erttheking said:
teh_gunslinger said:
And that's why I've been ranting about fucking Steve Jobs and Apple for neigh on 10 years.

Nice going, all you consumerist sheep who bought their products. Think different my ass. None of you ever thought an independent thought. You just wanted the shinies.
Right right, because I bought something that you don't approve of, I'm a sheep. Could you be any more insulting. God, sheep is turning into such a generic buzzword that it's slowly losing all meaning.
No, you're a sheep because you bought a terrible product that actively harms consumer electronics and the user.

My point is: Apples marketing is aimed at annoying hipster types that think they're unique snowflakes. They then buy the most closed of eco system available that basically allows only one way of doing anything. The Way of Jobs. That's why I call people sheep. Because they listen to obnoxious marketing. If they/you thought about it for more than a second you'd realise that Apple is actively harming the consumer.
Oh yeah, I'm a sheep because I have an Ipod, which I use on a regular basis and genuinely enjoy to have and "harms consumer electronics and the user" because they don't let everything on and they cost a little bit much. I couldn't even bring myself to read anymore after that beyond insulting first sentence of your post. When you want to actually debate like a civil Human being, come find me, until then later.

EDIT: Am I a sheep or am I a hipster? Make up your God damn mind!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
weirdguy said:
erttheking said:
teh_gunslinger said:

That being said, Apple IS basically saying that they're going to be a nanny state now, so maybe you can see where people are coming from in this case?

either way it seems rather strange that they're now trying to close the barn door years after it would have made any difference, as if now they suddenly have standards or something
They're saying that they're not going to let some apps onto the app store based on their own judgement, but didn't people get angry at Valve for letting that crappy zombie game onto Steam? And considering how just about everyone who calls people who buy apple products "sheep" considering that I'm very content with my Ipod, you'll forgive me if I'm a little less than sympathetic towards them. It's not like Apple has a monopoly on computers, smart phones and tablets, there's plenty of others out there, and I like what I get from Apple. God, every single time I go onto the Escapist the less I want to be here, I only ever get insulted here for (not being a PC gamer/buying from Apple/not being an atheist/not jumping on the backs of video game companies for every last little mistake they make). Really, coming on here is slowly turning into a miserable experience.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Good to know they know their target audience: small kids and impressionable adults.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Quaxar said:
And if you want to criticize a book? Do you have to found a religion?
Twister anyone?

OT: I kind of agree with McMillen, this is proberly going to get blown out of proportion but if theres one company that can afford to stay classy its Apple and that statment is anything but classy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
If you want to criticize religion, write a book buy Android.
Edited for accuracy.

I find Apple's condescending nature offensive. Last(and only) product I bought from them was an iPod back in 2005. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now(and I don't own a barge pole anyway)
Apple's more of a cult than a religion.

Oskuro said:
#@$% you, Apple! Who are you to decide where the line is, or if it exists at all? I bought your overpriced hardware, so I am the one to decide if I want a fart App or a bouncy cock on it!
They are Apple, and this is nothing new for Apple. People knowingly buy their products anyway.

You know how people use the term "vote with your wallet?" This is the endgame.

TWEWER said:
They don't want to put up with shitty apps or pretentious bullshit.
So they're going out of business?

But jokes aside, if they don't want "pretentious bullshit," why is it limited to games only?

erttheking said:
Actually, it's because you're tacitly supporting a corporate culture of censorship and thought control.

Also, sheep lost all meaning ages ago. It didn't have meaning as far back as the eighties.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thesilentman said:
Fixed. You could say that about Microsoft too. They aren't has freedom loving as people want them to think.
And when they were doing bad things, people actively called them on it. Their monopolistic behaviours and the like? People didn't make excuses.

The thing is, Microsoft isn't really the issue and it's not either-or. Criticising Apple is not an endorsement for Microsoft.

Milanezi said:
as much as most books and movies do.
You had me until that point. I think you're overestimating the depth of the majority of the literary market. I'll repeat the same for film, too.

William McQuiston said:
So... Are we to assume the line is drawn by a Congressional Republican? Because that's the only way I would think Drone+ and giving directions to abortion clinics crossed "the line."
Potter Stewart, the man behind the quote, was a centrist in his time. That alone would make many of his views far left in this day and age. Consider that the "Liberal Lion" of the SCOTUS who stepped down a couple years back was, at the time of appointment, a Republican appointed by a Republican.