Apple Voted Largest Influence On Gaming Industry

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sagacious Zhu said:
My expression exactly. Just because the man died doesn't mean he suddenly had a massive effect on the gaming industry. There are many companies who have shaped the gaming market much more than Apple in the past few years.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Seriously? Shigeru Miyamoto 7%, I'm not a Nintendo fan but he created or helped create some of gaming's most iconic/well known characters and games. He part of the reason Nintendo is a major force in the games industry and it's had a large influence on gaming and culture. Some people's childhoods were built on the stuff he made and as result has effected their life as an adult as well.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
L10nH3ArT said:
Well the article forgets to add in the fact that the survey was given at a convention that mostly focuses on handheld technology such as android, iproducts and the like.

Add in that fact and it kinda makes this a no brainer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/11/02/steve-jobs-voted-most-influential-man-in-video-games-igniting-a-firestorm-of-complaints/
So they left out that key detail just to get us all riled up? Really? I hope that's not the case but it sure looks like it.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
Um, what? Steve Jobs is the most influential person in Gaming???

The same Steve Jobs that essentially crippled gaming on Macs for a decade because he doesn't like them?

Ugh.

This is literally a kick in the teeth to the gaming community.
The Steve Jobs who didn't bother to patch video card drivers until Gabe Newell decided that he wanted Steam on the iOS Steve Jobs?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sneezeguard said:
Seriously? Shigeru Miyamoto 7%, I'm not a Nintendo fan but he created or helped create some of gaming's most iconic/well known characters and games. He part of the reason Nintendo is a major force in the games industry and it's had a large influence on gaming and culture. Some people's childhoods were built on the stuff he made and as result has effected their life as an adult as well.
Hes also arguably the reason we have consoles today at all, I mean when the videogame market crumbled the only ones who were willing to release a console was a little known Japanese company called nintendo, but without games from someone like Miyamoto its possible that it would have flopped and no one else would have tried it again.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
Hahahaha!

Oh wait they're serious. Let me laugh even harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go shout because I can't that most of the people who voted for this obviously does not know what the word innovation means or that just because their the face of something doesn't mean that they are directly involved with said "innovations."

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
Devil's Advocate: iPhone, Wii and Facebook made gamers out of our moms, aunts, grandfathers, and jocks. Angry Birds has 500 million downloads. For *us* those people had minimal impact, but to Joe and Jill on the street, Miyamoto is a guy nerds talk about if they even know the name.

I wonder about the number of console+PC gamers compared to Facebook/iPhone/Wii only gamers?

One of the women I work with still makes fun of us, and nephew, to playing "those stupid games" but still plays Wii bowling.

I'd still pick different answers though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LordBongo said:
I'll admit that I'm guilty of occasional Steve Jobs worship. But this... this is just not at all right. Sure, the iPhenomenon introduced a lot of people to the joy of casual gaming, but it didn't define a generation like the NES did.
I'd say the iphenomenon IS defining a generation of gaming.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'm sorry what did you say? I temporary blacked out from stupid overload.

The IPhone is becoming a mover and shaker in games but it's still the fresh young kid of the industry, not the Earth shattering root that such titles call for. It's just a survey, so whatever, but it's a little disconcerting.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Well it's pretty clear that this is bullshit, judging by the comments and factors of it all...
But Steve Jobs wasn't a god, although it seems the world would like to think he was...

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Man who makes Microsoft, who then not only make one of the 3 current generation consoles, but are the owner of the prominent PC operating system for gaming, annihilated by a guy who's company created the Mac, which if you put in the same sentence as gaming will result in derisive laughter. GG professionals, GG.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
BS.

This is quite simply the cult of apple rising again and trying to push their religion.

Sagacious Zhu

Oct 17, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Sagacious Zhu said:
My expression exactly. Just because the man died doesn't mean he suddenly had a massive effect on the gaming industry. There are many companies who have shaped the gaming market much more than Apple in the past few years.
Maybe I should elaborate my previous Rageface

Granted, the Apple line of handheld products certainly launched a renaissance in casual gaming, providing small developers with the means of selling their products in ways previously unavailable on such a large scale.

However, if we are recognizing the new resurgence of casual games, I think that more recognition should go to the developers who made the games rather than the CEO who was in charge of the company that distributed them.