Apple Voted Largest Influence On Gaming Industry

DSK-

May 13, 2010
LOL. Well, I won't say anything because I am a member of what some people like to call the "PC master race" although I also play on my consoles >_>.

OT: You know, if they voted for someone along the lines of Mr Miyamoto, the designer/creator of Halo, John Carmac or anything related to main stream gaming I could accept it and I wouldn't bat an eyelid on the matter. But I find this laughable, I'm sorry.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
I'd say Sir Tim Berners-Lee should have been voted top. You know why? He was one the major figures in creating what we are using right now...THE INTERNET!

(To be exact his invention was the World Wide Web and all the code that goes with it (I think thats correct)).

I doubt many of the people who voted even know he is; mainly because he didn't try and make money from his creation.

Bottom Line: No Tim = no XBL, no PSN, no Steam, no Facebook, no MMOs, no AppStore.

*EDIT*
L10nH3ArT said:
Well the article forgets to add in the fact that the survey was given at a convention that mostly focuses on handheld technology such as android, iproducts and the like.

Add in that fact and it kinda makes this a no brainer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/11/02/steve-jobs-voted-most-influential-man-in-video-games-igniting-a-firestorm-of-complaints/
Well at least adds some context...Still it's highly likely that many of these people didn't even know who Tim was. Heck did they even know any of the names on list besides Jobbs?

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
I'm at a loss for words... Oh wait, no I'm not. WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT?? o_O

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Wait... what... the... holly... fucking shit is this about?!

The iPhone probably works great for gaming, but it doesn't offer much that you can't get from other phones. Now I don't want to step into the role as a hardcore gamer here and say that what you do on a phone can't be considered gaming, especially seeing that some of my recent games on Steam involves Dungeon Defender and Yosumin, but this is stupid.
If I am taking a shit I might play some game on my phone (doesn't have an iPhone and it still works). If I were to travel far I would use my DS and probably play Professor Layton or Pokemon since that holds my attention much better. Oh well, I guess this is just Apple fans doing their thing and praising the former CEO who recently died.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I hate to sound cold here but honestly...Apples on this list because Jobs died. Well, he is at the top of the list because he died. Ill grant him a position of influence that shouldn't be dismissed, but he is not at influential as others.

Also, most influential on video games? Excuse me but, well...

Think about it. Gygax not only pioneered the RPG and the contemporary fantasy setting, but he probably was the origin of the popular concept of playing a game where the player controls a single avatar. And that's the majority of your major games these days. I doubt that one can even speculate what the gaming landscape would look like without him.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
"According to a survey distributed to 1,000 videogame industry professionals"

Well that alone makes it complete bullshit anyway. Not that we didn't already know that this is complete bullshit. First of all, these "industry professionals" clearly aren't very professional at all. I don't know if they're just idiots or if they've just got Apple and Steve Jobs on the brain due to him having just passed away, but either way, completely unprofessional. The fact that Miyamoto didn't even get into the double digits says it at all, and even though Gabe Newell did, only 16%? Need I say more on that?

And a survey of just 1,000 people? Like every other survey, the sample size is far too small for these results to actually have any significant value to anything in life. This garbage is not going to make my change my thoughts on cell phone gaming being just another fad for the casuals that took the place of Facebook gaming (which took the place of their Wiis which is why Nintendo has to crawl back to core gamers) and will have its place taken by something else in a year or two. 1,000 people who clearly can't think objectively and would rather give sympathy votes to the recently deceased than people who actually did great things for the industry aren't going to change my thoughts at all.

You know, I'd really hate to see the results of such a poll if they conducted it after someone like Tim Langdell died.

L10nH3ArT said:
Well the article forgets to add in the fact that the survey was given at a convention that mostly focuses on handheld technology such as android, iproducts and the like.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/11/02/steve-jobs-voted-most-influential-man-in-video-games-igniting-a-firestorm-of-complaints/
It makes it a no brainer that they're still completely wrong. The only thing that this changes is that they're clearly biased and purposefully misleading. Gather up a room full of people who are clearly NOT industry professionals at all, get them to say that Apple and Steve Jobs, the creators of the only platform that will let them charge money for their games that should be free on Newgrounds, are the most influential to them (who else are they going to pick?), and then proclaim to the world "GAMING INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS DECLARE APPLE THE LARGEST INFLUENCE ON THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY".

Hats off to Forbes for showing this survey and declaration for what it really is: complete garbage.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
So 1000 professionals voted in this survey...was this survey only for investors who pretend to know anything about the industry and then voted for the corporation who is the most successful in milking their customers (e.g. every new iphone generates roughly more than double of its costs as profit)?

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I'm sorry but how has Steve Jobs been more influential than Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto saved video gaming after the crash. Without him the I-phone wouldn't have games on it in the first place.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I don't have a HUGE problem with saying the iPhone has shaped the industry more than the Xbox or PS3 or whatever. Maybe the Wii, but I could definitely let it slide. But saying that Jobs has had more influence than Miyamoto? Or Newell?

There's a word for this: wrong.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
had the guy and his iphone impact on the industry? well yeah, but only in recent years and still not that much compared to nintendo, sony or miccrosft. heck, i would even say that sega had more impact on the game industry.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
L10nH3ArT said:

Ah that makes sense. They were all probably drunk and so rather than having actual thoughts and opinions they just went with whatever they were doing at the time. Most influental man? I'm using an iphone - it's steve jobs!!! I'm updating facebook - it's zuckerberg!!! Most influential hardware - etc etc.

Jimi Bove

Jan 29, 2011
What the iPhone did to indie games and the gaming industry was huge and, probably, the biggest change to gaming in 2 decades or so. But the biggest influence ever? I think the very first computer game coders and the NES (and perhaps even the pioneers of 3D games) would like to have a word with you.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
You know, this immediately reminds me of a show I saw a while back of the "Top 100 Inventions that changed the world." Topping the list was the iPhone, which baffled me, because the Internet, Computer, Cellular Phone, and MP3 Player were all anywhere from 10-50 spots BELOW this singular culmination of the above. It actually pissed me off a bit, because their logic was "this list is based off items which, without them, your life would not function (as well)" and all I could think of is "If you don't have Internet, the iPhone is worthless, and if not for all the innovations of computers and information technology, the iPhone wouldn't exist. And who the hell could live without Light Bulbs (somewhere in the middle of the list) but wouldn't be able to function without their damn iPhone???"

Honestly, fine, if we're talking strictly about the present industry, then yes, I suppose the iPhone with its near monopoly over the casual market is becoming a force to be reckoned with. But seriously, to just ignore all of Nintendo's achievements, namely being the original driving force of POPULARIZING video games, not to mention the achievements of several other companies and individuals to help make video games as mainstream as they are, is so sickeningly perverse that I want to find the supposed 1000 "video game industry professionals" and force them at gunpoint to revoke all privileges of working in this industry.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Survey skewed due to recent death of Steve Jobs. I can't honestly think of a game that was produced solely due to, by, or in connection with Apple that changed the face of gaming in any significant way.

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
iPhone for top 5 all-time? Most iPhone games are glorified browser games, and Apple doesn't even make most of the games. With that, how does Steve Jobs even make the poll?

As far as someone with the most influence over gaming ever, there's not even competition. Shigeru Miyamoto all the way.

What "industry professionals" did the voting anyway? Was it mostly people who started playing games because of their phone and had no other contact with games before?

Edit: I just looked back at the link of the second page. Dumb, biased survey is dumb and biased.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
I think people are confusing those silly iPhone games to real games on the console and pc.Now say what you will,A game is a game no matter the platform but true video games are on consoles and Pc(arcade to I guess).Now if their is ever a legit Angry Birds gaming tournament like there is with Starcraft then an only then will I accept iPhone games as serious games worth playing.Until then they are just a cheap way to waste time on the bus or wile taking a shit.