Are most gamers into metal music?

sketchesformysweet

Aug 3, 2010
I have an incredibly eclectic taste in music, and I really do listen to a bit of everything - from electronica, to classical, to rock, to blues, to noise, to hip hop, and etc etc...

But I've noticed that a large number of people of here seem to listen to metal music, and many gamers that I've known in the past have had similar tastes.

So my question for you all to ponder and discuss is to a majority of gamers seem to have similar tastes (in music and whatever else) and interests, and why do you think this is?

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Because what they say about 90% or whatnot of people going over to rap and hip hop simply isn't true, metal is still going strong!

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I don't know what the majority of gamers listen to. Metal would make sense though as alot of online gamers I have met are very impatient. I personally don't like overly heavy music.

Oh That Dude

Nov 22, 2009
I think that a lot of serious gamers (i.e. not casuals) like metal, so a large proportion of The 'scapist like metal.

\m/

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Apocalyptica are awesome.

And yes, i suppose most gamers listen to metal, etc.
And i'm talking about gamers, not "gamers". If you know what i mean. They listen to "music".

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
seems that way, maybe its something to do with sitting in your room gaming most hours of the day and social alienation... or something like that

Anywho, I'm more of indie/alternative/classic in my tastes

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
sketchesformysweet said:
I have an incredibly eclectic taste in music, and I really do listen to a bit of everything - from electronica, to classical, to rock, to blues, to noise, to hip hop, and etc etc...

But I've noticed that a large number of people of here seem to listen to metal music, and many gamers that I've known in the past have had similar tastes.

So my question for you all to ponder and discuss is to a majority of gamers seem to have similar tastes (in music and whatever else) and interests, and why do you think this is?
i actually dont think so, but the ones that do cant seem to shut up about it, creating that vocal recurring group that you always see

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
Like you I listen to absolutely everything - metal, hardcore, classical, jazz, hip hop, electronic music, avant-garde, noise, etc etc etc.

I'd say metal is where my heart lies though. I listen to the pretty extreme stuff - Mumakil, Magrudergrind, Daughters, Fellsilent, etc. Pretty much the extremes of every sub-genre of metal.

MikhailGH

Jun 11, 2010
Dunno about here, but most gamers I know have different tastes in music. VERY different tastes :p

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
I'm a gamer and I love mztal, so I'd support that statement.
I do love other music like classical, jazz and rock though.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
well, my favorite genres are Metal and Video Game Music, so OP is definetly right about me ... don't know about all the other gamers though :)

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, I'm not really into metal much. I'm into about one or two bands maybe, but I much prefer rock generally, from pop-rock to indie rock to hard rock.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
My taste in music is similar to yours. I like hair metal but most modern day metal just sounds like smokers screaming and even the guitar in most modern metal sucks.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I enjoy my 20+ minute prog songs, which are mostly rock and metal. So I'd say I like it and I am a gamer.

Hard to say how much do though. I'd imagine a majority like metal.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Perhaps. I'm not certainly not though. Metal is one of my least favourite music genres. But to each his own. No-one's forcing it down my throat.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
Well, because the majority of the population under a certain age can be called gamers at this point, it would be hard to draw any stereotypes of gamers. You have to remember now that "gamer" refers not only to people that are members of the Escapist, but just about everyone that owns a XBox, Playstation or Wii, all the people that play or have played WoW (which the adverts tell us includes Mr T).

On the other hand, I have found that there is a strong correlation between nerds and metalheads. A very large proportion of the number of people in my physics lectures are metalheads (maybe a 1/4), and I remember helping out at a friends metal gig about a year ago and the bassist and guitarist having a very long and in depth discussion about videogames.
Back in school, there was a very noticable correlation between social group and music taste, with the "cool crowd" listening to pop, hip hop and electro, the sortof middle crowd being largely indie kids and the unpopular kids being really into heavy metal.