Are Sony *and* Microsoft redundant?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Gundam GP01 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U
You're going to have to provide a bit more context for that link to make much sense.

But I'll humor you and take a guess as to what you were trying to say with that link;
"The Wii-U launched in 2012, making it almost 4 years!"

To which I say; Aiddon was talking about how in 4 years time, no groundbreaking games had released on the PS4 and Xbox One, which seems a bit odd, seeing as both consoles haven't been out for a full 3 years yet. Nintendo releasing their Wii U a full year ahead of the PS4 and Xbox One has absolutely no bearing on the games released on the latter consoles. A console starts its lifetime when it is released, not when another console is released.

I guess it would also make sense to you for people to say this on the PS4 / Xbox One's launch day; "Man! It's been a full year yet and only NOW we get PS4 / Xbox One exclusives? What the hell Sony / Microsoft!"?

The above is an answer to an assumption I made as to what your intention was. If you meant to say something completely different, then please, feel free to elaborate and don't forget to add some words to your post next time.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Yopaz said:
PC does have several advantages over consoles though, mainly that if you buy a computer that's good for gaming you also got a great work station and most need a PC depending on where you live, why not spring for one that's good enough for games? That said for those who are bad with computers they will sooner or later fuck things up. Malware, viruses, installing too many things running in the background or something. Consoles are still easier to manage and so far more suited for living room gaming.
They have clear advantages, and are far superior in many ways. Just, not in so many that consoles become redundant.
I agreed with that part.
And personally, I think PC requirement is overrated. Most PC functions can be accomplished on a smartphone or $40 Kindle, nowadays. They're only really essential for work, hobbies and graphically intense games.
So many things you can't do with those things though, many things that become frustrating as hells. I would also say "required for work" actually shows that, dude, get a PC.

Phoenixmgs said:
Which is why I ended with I wouldn't trust any company with a monopoly. I merely trust Sony more than Microsoft.
You did say that yuo don't think Sony would go anti-consumer the same way Microsoft would, but all evidence contradicts that.
Joccaren said:
Except for in this case, all the bottles were recently changed to glass bottles for cheaper manufacturing costs, just Pepsi want you to use their slightly larger bottle instead of another company's bottle.
I used fluoric acid and glass bottles because they simply aren't compatible. Fluoric acid corrodes glass. Also most of my glasses are smaller than a bottle. I can still use them to hold my beverage. Analogy is really faulty stop trying to save it.

This ain't the PS3 era any more. The consoles and PC all use the same x86 hardware architecture these days. Hell, the Xbox and the PC share the same Operating System too. The whole idea of consoles, as well, is that they're cheaper and easier to develop for thanks to similar hardware and systems. If this isn't true and they're massively drastically different, we've lost yet another argument against PC.
Oh, and same architecture means it will play automatically? That's why all hardware components is compatible with all Apple computers and all Linux distributions? Mac and PC have used the same architecture for years, compatibility between programs still separate two consumer markets based on software availability.

Moreso than making a program compatible between consoles, making a program run at all is the hard work. Making it work for both consoles of course takes some work, but half the idea of them being similar is to not make it a chore to develop for your console, as that'd lose you third party games that wanted to go multiplatform.
Have you ever tried porting software? I can tell you from personal experience that making things work on a different OS than the one it's made for leads to lots of half-working solutions. I used Gentoo and Ubuntu as two examples of operating systems running the same Linux Kernel. Compatibility between them is a ***** to manage.

If a company is very low on resources - sure, maybe I can see cross platform compatibility being an issue. That'd have to be very low though, especially considering other companies who are low on resources manage to pull it off just fine.
Sure they do, but they have to gamble on the market for all platforms and many of them start with one system or get funding from the console manufacturers to do the porting. Minecraft started on the PC. Terrarria started on the PC. Don't Starve started on the PC. Once they made a profit and were convinced the market existed on console they went to console ports.

This ignores the simple fact that MS DID fuck up with the Xbone reveal, and DID lose a ton of potential customers. From everything I hear, it wasn't exclusives that brought them back. Hell, at the time they were also criticised as all their launch titles looked like stuff we already had, with a graphical upgrade, rather than anything system selling. It ended up still being sold, and competing, because it did offer features that people wanted still. Namely, the dropping of Xbox Gold requirement for a number of services, allowing users a cheaper method of accessing them than going with Playstation.
People complained on the internet, but still they sold enough for them to keep working. They fucked up, but they didn't ruin themselves and their excusives did sell.
Ryse, despite looking boring, sold more than 1 million.
Forza 5 sold more than 2.
Dead Rising 3 also sold more than a million.
While these sales aren't very impressive, they were all exclusives and they all gave people some reason to buy the Xbox One.

But no, I'm sure that the Xbox managed to survive not because of brand loyalty, Microsofts backsteps, and a number of features on the console itself that people wanted. It was just the exclusives that people weren't impressed with at the time.
You need to stop trusting the reactions of people online for facts. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 trailers made people furious enough that a large boycot movement was formed against it in the gaming community. Still sold like hotcakes without Activision doing anything to appease the masses. It's because we react so strongly that it makes it seem everyone is against it.

And hell, for fun, lets take it that MS did drop out of this round of consoles. Not likely, they would have still had a bunch of consoles built they wanted to sell, and would be selling, but they were a minor player. Sony Introduces a new consumer unfriendly system this generation, while Microsoft rescinded theirs thanks to backlash. Hey, look, Microsoft are getting a bunch of sales now and are a popular company again!
Doubly so if it happens at the start of next gen, and Sony state "We're going to be consumer unfriendly", while Microsoft are "We've learnt our lesson".
I don't see why you think this wouldn't mean competition for Sony just because MS lost one console generation. Hell, they arguably HAVE lost this console generation, with Sony way ahead in sales by all estimates. I guess that means Sony can implement any anti-consumer policy they want now right? I mean they've won, there's no competition as Microsoft wasn't as successful as they'd want to be this generation, right?
Losing one console generation is one thing, completely failing at is is another. Microsoft did poorly in their first generation, but they did get into the market which was already dominated by the three companies Sega, nintendo and Sony. Sega failed so badly they dropped out after the Dreamcast and focused on third party (see, another example from reality). The same could have happened to Microsoft. They have the resources to go on failing, but no company will retain a failing branch indefinitly. Sony recently sold off their laptop division, Samsung stopped selling laptops in Europe and Microsoft is apparently stopping their mobile phone production. Yes, both Sony and Microsoft are willing to give up markets when they fail.

It doesn't require a change of hardware. These things are fucking computers now.
No, they are not. They have the same architecture and they use the same principles. Just because Boeing uses the knowledge from NASA's space program when they design planes that doesn't make their planes space shuttles.

Just add some new software, offer a new service, or come out with a new, worthwhile, addon.
Of course these can't be exclusives, because that's any-consumer.
Yeah, offer new hardware versions. You seem to be saying that them updating the hardware is an argument against me, when its more an argument against you're whole "Short term, can't change it" thing.
No, that's actually just some personal irritation on my side. The advantage of consoles have always been that "it just works" and "you don't need upgrades every few year". However it's not an argument strenghtening your case. Outside of 4K video and upscaled games (that require patches) neither of the hardware upgrade actually offers much in terms of new features. Also this is an argument against you. You can add features to a console by updates. PS4 is adding VR as a feature - so is Xbox One. Xbox One is adding mouse and keyboard support, so could PS4. Wii earned a great audience by motion controls at the end of the last generation both Sony and Microsoft had done the same. If a feature is added to a console and becomes successful other consoles will do the same.

You've used faulty food analogies, and tinfoil hat conspiracy theories, to prove your point. Everything else you've said, has actually supported my position that competing on hardware is actually viable, seeing as both companies do it. I feel you don't actually understand what you're arguing against, and think I'm against any form of competition. Nope. Just exclusives. If they're managing to compete on Hardware and other services they offer, that's great, and you've pointed out many cases where they have. Exclusives aren't necessary though, and just encourage anti-consumer behaviour. Hell, they ARE anti-consumer behaviour. There isn't a good side to them.
You have used two different Pepsi Cola analogies (you even built on it in this very post), I have tried to point out why that one can't be applied. You were the first one to use a food analogy and I countered that with a different food analogy (and I pointed out that all food analogies are faulty). You have used more food analogies, yet you accuse me of using them and tin-foil conspiracies (not sure how using Sony's patents and Microsoft's press release counts as "tin-foil"). I have given you several examples, several hypothetical situations and you have chosen to ignore them and insist that fluoric acid in glass containers make sense.

I'm not saying features aren't important, I'm just saying that in the long run they won't matter. You mentioend that they can be added and that's true. You can make two consoles identical in term of features by add-ons, software and up

How about you give me an actual reason why I should get a PS4 (normal or pro) over XBox one (normal, s or Scorpio) which
only uses features available on one system. Show me how competetive each system is when subtracting the exclusives.

I'm not going to pretend exclusives are consumer friendly (they really, really are not), but it's the one thing that separates nearly identical systems from each other, thus it's the only viable competition between them.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
They might seem redundant, but considering how capitalism works the more players in play the better it is for the consumer. In theory anyway. Doesn't always seem to work that way.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Yopaz said:
So many things you can't do with those things though, many things that become frustrating as hells. I would also say "required for work" actually shows that, dude, get a PC.
I have a PC. I use it for work. Primarily for Z-brush and accompanying programs. But that's kind of a niche.

But there's an astronomically large list of jobs that don't require a PC. E.g. Food server. And when a job DOES require one, there're generally company computers.

PCs are not household necessities.
So if you want to write a job application you do that on your phone? If you want to make your CV you do that on your phone? Communication through email works fine by phone as long as you're not going to write anything complicated, such as things concerning job applications.

If you want to set up a wi-fi to use your phone or tablet to do these things you really need either a computer or a high-end router that has good tablet support (I have one, but it's not in the price range of those who don't have computers). Kids these days are required to hand in their assignments electronically over here. I have tried doing that by phone with a complete qwerty keyboard and it was hell. You almost need it to pay your bills (alternatives are less convenient and cost much more) and phones and tablets aren't good at managing finances since you have to be able to go between tabs to get a good overview.

Sure, it might be possible to get by with a tablet, but making a CV and a job application look professional enough to attract an employer's attention is extremely difficult without a PC. If getting a job is not a necessity in your opinion then I agree with you though.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
You can draft up essential notes then go to a mythical place called a library to spend a couple minutes writing them up.
So you do need a PC at some point then? Kinda defeats your point that it's not a necessity. Also a few minutes? You need to consider the format of the application along with the essntial information. Employers filter out the applications where it looks like the applicants spent a few minutes on it. They want the ones who are dedicated to getting the job.

You also ignored the whole point about paying bills and managing a household, kids going to school. My address needs to be changed using a computer, my doctor needs to be changed with the same system, my taxes is managed with the same system.

Kibeth41 said:
No idea what point you're fabricating here..
I have managed several wireless networks and the UI of the cheapest routers is almost always terrible and doing even small changes with my phone or tablet always makes me frustrated. Cheap routers are cheap for a reason and you'll see it in the UI. Setting them up to work without a computer takes patience.

Now you're obviously going to ignore most of my post because you can't stand being proven wrong so I am going to do other things.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yopaz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Which is why I ended with I wouldn't trust any company with a monopoly. I merely trust Sony more than Microsoft.
You did say that yuo don't think Sony would go anti-consumer the same way Microsoft would, but all evidence contradicts that.
The worse thing Sony has actually done to gamers is probably the Vita memory card. The patent thing making a disc not able to be resold was definitely not going to happen at least with regards to PS3. You think any game company could piss off GameStop that much and still survive? And Sony didn't even make that tech either nor was it even done by the PS division. The patent could've just been patented so Sony could get royalties of its use in the future by other companies and Sony themselves. I very much doubt Sony would ever employ it considering that video they made mocking the Xbone with regards to sharing games can be thrown right back in their faces way too easily.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Yopaz said:
I used fluoric acid and glass bottles because they simply aren't compatible. Fluoric acid corrodes glass. Also most of my glasses are smaller than a bottle. I can still use them to hold my beverage. Analogy is really faulty stop trying to save it.
Then we go with a material that would hold flouric acid fine, I believe you said plastic which makes it even better for the economics argument. You understand the point of the analogy, you're arguing semantics for the hell of it at this point.

Oh, and same architecture means it will play automatically? That's why all hardware components is compatible with all Apple computers and all Linux distributions? Mac and PC have used the same architecture for years, compatibility between programs still separate two consumer markets based on software availability.
Not quite. There are levels on top of that with API and drivers and OS specific functions, but they pale in comparison to dealing with separate hardware architecture - something that devs were quite happy to do in the PS3/X360 era. The biggest reason programs aren't compatible on Mac AND Windows a lot of the time is to do with market size. Making a AAA game, or a lot of Windows apps, for a Mac isn't economical, as the majority of your users by far are using a Windows machine, and a relatively small number use Mac and Linux. Recently, more people have been adopting these platforms, and magically more programs have become compatible with those OSs. No, I don't think that'd be related at all, would it? Nope, its just near-impossible to port something from Windows to Mac or Linux, and that's why we don't see it happen.

And hell, you're the one that brought up hardware, don't try and backpedal and pretend that I'm the one focusing on it now. I simply pointed out that hardware isn't really an issue, and that software differences are far easier to deal with than hardware ones.

Have you ever tried porting software? I can tell you from personal experience that making things work on a different OS than the one it's made for leads to lots of half-working solutions. I used Gentoo and Ubuntu as two examples of operating systems running the same Linux Kernel. Compatibility between them is a ***** to manage.
Yes, yes I have. The hard part was getting the software itself to run and work. It also varies by platform, naturally, but in the case of consoles, you're making a bad business decision if you make yours hard to program for with compatibility, while the competition is easier. The AAA industry hates you for increasing its costs, developments from one platform that want to go multiplatform become exclusive, and games are more likely to just not work on your system. Funnily enough, its why they unified the architecture of consoles this generation.

Sure they do, but they have to gamble on the market for all platforms and many of them start with one system or get funding from the console manufacturers to do the porting. Minecraft started on the PC. Terrarria started on the PC. Don't Starve started on the PC. Once they made a profit and were convinced the market existed on console they went to console ports.
And you see, things like this I'm fine with. A developer only happening to have enough money to develop for one platform they have experience with - sure. That's not on the console manufacturer's, that's down to the dev's themselves.
And as you noted, once they know demand exists, they tend to port to other platforms because its more money for them.

What I'm against is console-mandated exclusives, where the game is brought to appear only on one console, because that console wants it as a reason to buy that console alone.

And, there are also small devs outside this that launch multi-platform. Fewer in terms of consoles, mostly because of Sony and MS's policies on their games that made it infeasible for many Indies to even want to develop for console, which they started lifting this generation for exactly that reason. If it were so expensive and impossible to do multiplatform, you wouldn't see these devs doing so. But they do.

Its also fine for Sony and MS to pay for compatibility for their platform... Just not exclusive compatibility. If part of the contract is "Thou shalt not develop for other platforms this game", then no. If its "You'll make it work well on our platform" - cool.

People complained on the internet, but still they sold enough for them to keep working. They fucked up, but they didn't ruin themselves and their excusives did sell.
Ryse, despite looking boring, sold more than 1 million.
Forza 5 sold more than 2.
Dead Rising 3 also sold more than a million.
While these sales aren't very impressive, they were all exclusives and they all gave people some reason to buy the Xbox One.
And this disproves anything I just said how?
This would all have been the case no matter whether Ryse was exclusive or not, or Forza. You yourself have even just admitted that these games sold poorly, and even if we assume every single one of these was a new console sold - where I'd wager at least 50% were sold to people who already had the system and wanted the game anyway, but didn't buy the system for that game - that's pittance in relation to the number of Xbones actually sold. I'll again re-iterate; it wasn't the exclusives that sold the Xbone. It sold largely on brand loyalty, and the other things MS offered at the time.

You need to stop trusting the reactions of people online for facts. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 trailers made people furious enough that a large boycot movement was formed against it in the gaming community. Still sold like hotcakes without Activision doing anything to appease the masses. It's because we react so strongly that it makes it seem everyone is against it.
Do I need to pull down your own quote of the exclusives selling poorly? Hell, if they were Ubisoft games, they'd be a massive failure that failed to recoup their dev costs with those sales. Hopefully the companies that did make them were more intelligent than that, but honestly I'm not too sure. Rise would likely have earned only about $27 million in revenue for its publisher, which while sounding highly impressive, really isn't that much compared to modern videogame budgets.

I'm not taking people's word at the fact that these exclusives are horrible and no-one will buy them. God knows I've got enough experience on the internet to not trust that. I'm taking the fact that people weren't enthused with them, combined with their mediocre performance, to say they weren't what made people buy the Xbox One. I think that's a fair enough analysis.

Losing one console generation is one thing, completely failing at is is another. Microsoft did poorly in their first generation, but they did get into the market which was already dominated by the three companies Sega, nintendo and Sony. Sega failed so badly they dropped out after the Dreamcast and focused on third party (see, another example from reality). The same could have happened to Microsoft. They have the resources to go on failing, but no company will retain a failing branch indefinitly. Sony recently sold off their laptop division, Samsung stopped selling laptops in Europe and Microsoft is apparently stopping their mobile phone production. Yes, both Sony and Microsoft are willing to give up markets when they fail.
Sega had been failing for years before the Dreamcast. The last 5 consoles they had released were completely discontinued in 3 years from launch, most of them within 2. For comparison, the Playstation 1, which the Dreamcast came a generation after, kept on selling for 10 generations, and a lot of consoles were pretty similar. So, after over a decade of failure, and over 5 attempts, Sega withdrew from the market. Same goes for Microsoft and their phone - it had failed years ago. They're only now stopping their phone production? Same goes for most other divisions in companies as well. There are barriers to exit in all industries, as well as the uncertainty of whether your next innovation will revitalise your division, or whether that division is gone for good. MS wouldn't withdraw after one failed generation, and it wouldn't have been a complete failure of a generation either.
We're hearby assuming that MS wouldn't even attempt to compete, and would continually try to implement the same consumer unfriendly practices, destroying their business for several generations. While MS is stupid, their behaviour has shown this isn't the case. Sure, if MS decides not to compete at all, Sony won't have any competition. That's a bit of a silly assumption to make, as we could make that assumption with exclusives too and the result wouldn't change. Basically, it proves nothing for you.

No, they are not. They have the same architecture and they use the same principles. Just because Boeing uses the knowledge from NASA's space program when they design planes that doesn't make their planes space shuttles.
Xbox also uses the same OS, but skipping that, again, you're talking semantics. They do things other than play games. You can program things for them like you could a computer, and easily update their firmware, software and OS. You're not locked to the initial hardware set for the only features your console has. You can add more through software afterwards.

Of course these can't be exclusives, because that's any-consumer.
Things that the console itself does, rather than third party programs you've paid to keep themselves on your console, are fine to be kept exclusive. I'm not asking MS to make a new controller, and then make sure it'll work on Playstation. I'm just asking for paid exclusives to not be a thing.

No, that's actually just some personal irritation on my side. The advantage of consoles have always been that "it just works" and "you don't need upgrades every few year". However it's not an argument strenghtening your case. Outside of 4K video and upscaled games (that require patches) neither of the hardware upgrade actually offers much in terms of new features. Also this is an argument against you. You can add features to a console by updates. PS4 is adding VR as a feature - so is Xbox One. Xbox One is adding mouse and keyboard support, so could PS4. Wii earned a great audience by motion controls at the end of the last generation both Sony and Microsoft had done the same. If a feature is added to a console and becomes successful other consoles will do the same.
They may not add much, but does that not match your "It just works" want? Its a slight upgrade, that some people will want, but that you don't need. Great!

As for the "It'll be copied" argument... Well, yeah. Lets look at the Wii though. It printed money. Playstation Move and Xbox Kinect? Not so much. Don't underestimate the first mover advantage. If you develop something reasonably unique, that will take time to copy, then you'll still sell those consoles. And by the time your competitors have that feature, the people who really want it will have your console already.

You have used two different Pepsi Cola analogies (you even built on it in this very post), I have tried to point out why that one can't be applied. You were the first one to use a food analogy and I countered that with a different food analogy (and I pointed out that all food analogies are faulty). You have used more food analogies, yet you accuse me of using them and tin-foil conspiracies (not sure how using Sony's patents and Microsoft's press release counts as "tin-foil"). I have given you several examples, several hypothetical situations and you have chosen to ignore them and insist that fluoric acid in glass containers make sense.
I started with a food analogy. You then went "This food analogy is better", trying to prove your point through a food analogy despite saying it can't be done. You could have ignored or dropped it, you felt it would better help your argument to try and make the analogy work in your favour.

Your tinfoil hat behaviour is the whole "The entire console industry would die if MS didn't have exclusives" stance you've taken, copied with the assumption that all companies would not at all try to compete with each other and keep acting in anti-consumer ways, despite the evidence to the contrary of MS backpedalling hard because it needed to compete. You're sitting here worried that everything will collapse, and things will be terrible, assuming that MS has this want to fail, and leave Sony to compete alone, and that the only thing holding this whole console conspiracy of failure at bay is exclusives. Exclusives don't make a difference. If MS had of truly fucked up their launch this gen, maybe the 4 million combined sales from those exclusives you mentioned, as a best case exclusive scenario, would have earned them enough to shut down their gaming division and pay their staff without too much loss. It wouldn't have kept the console alive though. Especially seeing as the PS4 is at 40 million sales around about, and that would have risen in response to MS failing so hard.

I'm not saying features aren't important, I'm just saying that in the long run they won't matter. You mentioend that they can be added and that's true. You can make two consoles identical in term of features by add-ons, software and up
And I'm not saying exclusives make no difference at all. I'm sure they sell some extra consoles. They're not necessary to sell those consoles though, and if a console was going to fail, exclusives wouldn't save it.

How about you give me an actual reason why I should get a PS4 (normal or pro) over XBox one (normal, s or Scorpio) which
only uses features available on one system. Show me how competetive each system is when subtracting the exclusives.
Funnily enough, I'm not versed on every feature of every console. That said, from what I've heard from those who do use them;
PS4 has streaming capabilities built in on its controller so they're easy to use, as well as quicker install times and running times than the Xbox One. Also a slightly cleaner interface, apparently, that's a bit easier to use. Its also slightly cheaper in some places than the Xbox One. Its also a smaller console, making it easier to fit in and store than the Xbox One.
Xbox One is more of a universal multimedia device, and comes with more ports for things to connect to it to allow this functionality, as well as with the One S an IR sensor to use the Xbox to control other devices, like your TV, that you'd use your remote to control. Its controller has some more tactile feedback with its trigger rumble pads, and anecdotally lasts longer both in battery life, and in wear and tear, than the PS4 controller. This is without talking about the customisable "Elite" controller. It also has better backwards compatibility options than the PS4.

There are likely many more things I could actually talk about if I used either console, but on the hardware and firmware side, they're both appealing to different markets, and taking different approaches. Perhaps the question I'd ask you in turn;
If there were no exclusives for the PS4, nor the Xbox One, which would you buy, and why? Or would you buy neither?
That will end up telling you more than I guess I ever could. Even if its brand loyalty, that is a differentiating factor that'll move consoles. If you'd change console with no exclusives, that tells you how at least one of the consoles competes in terms of hardware/firmware alone as well. And if you say neither, you'd just go PC - that's great, but for most people its more than exclusives keeping them on consoles. Friends having consoles, brand loyalty, and other factors present barriers to exit for choosing a console over a PC.

I'm not going to pretend exclusives are consumer friendly (they really, really are not), but it's the one thing that separates nearly identical systems from each other, thus it's the only viable competition between them.
You know, McDonalds and Hungry Jack's [Or Burger King if you're American] are basically the same company. They offer basically the same food. Its not McDonalds buying all Coke rights so that you have to go to McDonalds to get Coke that keeps them competitive against the other though. They are slightly different. Despite being near identical, they seem to compete just fine.
Same with Coke and Pepsi. I don't see them competing by paying Smith's Chips to only sell to those who have brought one or the other. They compete with bottle sizes, bottle designs, very slight differences in flavour, price, their own slight differences in new flavours they introduce.

Pretty much everything else manages to compete just fine with its near identical competitors, without resorting to exclusive deals. In fact, they came up with a more consumer friendly method of doing those anyway; discounts and cross promotion. I've no issue if MS pays EA $100 million to sell their games $10 cheaper on the Xbox One than on the PS4. That is $10 less some consumers have to pay to get that game. I DO take issue with MS paying EA to make their next game only available on the Xbox One, or available 6 months in advance on the Xbox One. GIVE consumers things, don't take them away. Exclusives aren't necessary. The console industry would survive just fine without them. Hell, they might need to actually start doing more things for their consumers without them. Monopolies are not a good thing, and all exclusives are is a Monopoly over that product. And that's not a good thing for consumers, and its not necessary.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Ironically, exclusives go a long way towards justifying the existence of multiple systems. It's the industry reaching such a high percentage of ports these past two generations that had me asking this question.

Ever so often, you hear people espouse the idea of one "Industry Standard" console, with makers only adding their own gimmicks and/or online services. This generation, to me at least, is making that idea seem more and more feasible.

Kasithedog

Oct 31, 2016
You know most here have no argument, when the only thing going is thinking that PC will become king if all console makers left. Why people here willfully ignore dev's like rcockstar made RDR2 console only because of better sales & the fact sony systems alway's get games never seen on both xbox & PC.

You guy's sound no different to the xbox fanboys who say they don't care if they miss out on allot Japanese games sony get's, yet go to a another topic wishing to get them.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Until buying a PC becomes as easy as going into a game store and walking out with a decent one for about $400. PS4s/Xbox Ones will always have a reason to stick around.
I don't know where you live, but here in Denmark that basically is how you buy a PC (well, a decent laptop. But hey, I'm currently playing Doom on a laptop so it's not that big of a deal).

Kibeth41 said:
I always recommend consoles to any "non gamer" friends who want a system to play games on. Just because it's a waste of their time and money to pay $800 buying every component individually, only to have me or another friend spend the day assembling the PC for them.. Just to play games at a fraction better quality.
Economically I'd say it makes a bit more sense, even to buy a pre-built gaming PC than it does to buy a cheap PC and a console on the side.

And chances are, if you've installed your own Browser, you have the required skills to install a game, no sweat.

Kibeth41 said:
Now cue the angry PC fanatics jumping through hoops to try and tell me I'm wrong.
I wouldn't say I'm jumping through hoops. Neither am I a PC-fanatic, given that I have a PS3 at home. I just think that the PC makes more economical sense if you have to chose only one platform, and that consoles are a bit more luxury

Kibeth41 said:
Anyway. I've mentioned the end of the console race quite a few times. Considering the Switch is more of a handheld hybrid, and Microsoft are moving to PC gaming. I'm always miffed when people say the Switch needs to be a PS4/Xbox One clone.

One good thing about consoles is that no company will really hold a monopoly over the rest, even after the the race ends. If handhelds become too unattractive, then Sony'll step up with a new Vita. If the PS5 annoys too many people, we'll get the Xbox 98. And so on..
Maybe, but the consoles also tend to hoard games to make themselves more likely to be sold.

You don't really see that with brands of PC's (I mean, if a game works on an ASUS, it'll also work on an MSI, or an Acer).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Yopaz said:
Kibeth41 said:
You can draft up essential notes then go to a mythical place called a library to spend a couple minutes writing them up.
So you do need a PC at some point then?
This discussion is about owning a PC. Either you don't understand the argument, or you're a millenial who's really disjointed from the concept of libraries.

And to clarify, I'm fine with being proven wrong. I hold an issue with moody people on the internet trying to drag an argument out of every response they get.

You're extremely naive and sheltered if you believe that every household owns a PC. Going to reiterate. A phone and a library is sufficient enough for most. Writing a CV really isn't difficult if you don't own a computer.
You ignored most of my post and made false assumptions of my age and upbringing. Well, thanks for proving me right.

Phoenixmgs said:
Yopaz said:
Phoenixmgs said:
The worse thing Sony has actually done to gamers is probably the Vita memory card. The patent thing making a disc not able to be resold was definitely not going to happen at least with regards to PS3. You think any game company could piss off GameStop that much and still survive? And Sony didn't even make that tech either nor was it even done by the PS division. The patent could've just been patented so Sony could get royalties of its use in the future by other companies and Sony themselves. I very much doubt Sony would ever employ it considering that video they made mocking the Xbone with regards to sharing games can be thrown right back in their faces way too easily.
The Vita memory cards is among the worst thing they have done. Why give them a free pass?

Joccaren said:
Then we go with a material that would hold flouric acid fine, I believe you said plastic which makes it even better for the economics argument. You understand the point of the analogy, you're arguing semantics for the hell of it at this point.
No, I am arguing compatibility.LOok b ack at my argument. I said that we can't make glass bottles hold fluoric acid just because we think it should. Is compatibility really semantics now?

Not quite. There are levels on top of that with API and drivers and OS specific functions
So it is not? OK then. Money needs to be spent on making it work on a different system. Why would one company spend money to give up their competitive edge?

And hell, you're the one that brought up hardware, don't try and backpedal and pretend that I'm the one focusing on it now. I simply pointed out that hardware isn't really an issue, and that software differences are far easier to deal with than hardware ones.
Yes, because identical hardware can only run the ame software if they also have the same OS and drivers. Case in point, Windows, Mac, Linux.

Yes, yes I have. The hard part was getting the software itself to run and work. It also varies by platform, naturally, but in the case of consoles, you're making a bad business decision if you make yours hard to program for with compatibility
If you want it to work perfectly you do it for one system and you won't have to make compromises. Look at PC games ported from consoles vs games made exclusively for PC and you'll see the difference.

What I'm against is console-mandated exclusives, where the game is brought to appear only on one console, because that console wants it as a reason to buy that console alone.
In those cases the manufacturer of the console also pays for the development to happen so without such insentives the game might not be made at all. Like with Bayonetta 2.

And, there are also small devs outside this that launch multi-platform. Fewer in terms of consoles, mostly because of Sony and MS's policies on their games that made it infeasible for many Indies to even want to develop for console, which they started lifting this generation for exactly that reason. If it were so expensive and impossible to do multiplatform, you wouldn't see these devs doing so. But they do.
The bigger the game, the more effort is required. Small games are easier to port.

Its also fine for Sony and MS to pay for compatibility for their platform... Just not exclusive compatibility. If part of the contract is "Thou shalt not develop for other platforms this game", then no. If its "You'll make it work well on our platform" - cool.
So if the game wouldn't have been made without you'd rather see the game not be developed? Makes sense, I wish I never could have played games like Dead Rising, Mario, or Uncharted because they refuse to release it on PC.

And this disproves anything I just said how?
This would all have been the case no matter whether Ryse was exclusive or not, or Forza. You yourself have even just admitted that these games sold poorly, and even if we assume every single one of these was a new console sold - where I'd wager at least 50% were sold to people who already had the system and wanted the game anyway, but didn't buy the system for that game - that's pittance in relation to the number of Xbones actually sold. I'll again re-iterate; it wasn't the exclusives that sold the Xbone. It sold largely on brand loyalty, and the other things MS offered at the time.
They are exclusives, they sold. They all crossed the 1 million mark so they didn't sell poorly, they just weren't massive successes (there's a middle ground between you know). You said no-one cared about the exclusives, this proves that millions did.

Do I need to pull down your own quote of the exclusives selling poorly?
No, I would prefer if you didn't falsely insert your own interpretation of what I said thank you.

Sega had been failing for years before the Dreamcast.
Which proves that no company will ever fail again., got it.
the Playstation 1, which the Dreamcast came a generation after, kept on selling for 10 generations[/quote]
We've not seen 10 generations of console gaming...

So, after over a decade of failure, and over 5 attempts, Sega withdrew from the market. Same goes for Microsoft and their phone - it had failed years ago.
Funny that Microsoft has also been losing money on their Xbox branch for a long time.

They're only now stopping their phone production? Same goes for most other divisions in companies as well. There are barriers to exit in all industries, as well as the uncertainty of whether your next innovation will revitalise your division, or whether that division is gone for good. MS wouldn't withdraw after one failed generation, and it wouldn't have been a complete failure of a generation either.
Citation needed. The last console generation lasted longer than their venture into mobile phones.

We're hearby assuming that MS wouldn't even attempt to compete, and would continually try to implement the same consumer unfriendly practices
It was a hypothetical situation, not a realistic prediction, but you know, keep taking things out of context.

Xbox also uses the same OS, but skipping that, again, you're talking semantics. They do things other than play games. You can program things for them like you could a computer, and easily update their firmware, software and OS. You're not locked to the initial hardware set for the only features your console has. You can add more through software afterwards.
No, they do not use the same OS, they use a specialized OS based on Windows 10, which is different from the one on PS4, but similar enough to the PC one that porting is a bit easier, they still need to take hardware differences into consideration. Also Xbox one exclusives ported to Windows 10 don't really work that well, there's a lot of microstuttering and glitches. So this is not semantics. Also the fact that software can be added afterwards is a weakness in your argument that should be their competitive edge. It is temporary.

Things that the console itself does, rather than third party programs you've paid to keep themselves on your console, are fine to be kept exclusive. I'm not asking MS to make a new controller, and then make sure it'll work on Playstation. I'm just asking for paid exclusives to not be a thing.
So them paying for software and hardware to be exclusive is distinct from developing software (category - games) to be developed? Makes perfect sense.

They may not add much, but does that not match your "It just works" want? Its a slight upgrade, that some people will want, but that you don't need. Great!
For now.

As for the "It'll be copied" argument... Well, yeah. Lets look at the Wii though. It printed money. Playstation Move and Xbox Kinect? Not so much. Don't underestimate the first mover advantage. If you develop something reasonably unique, that will take time to copy, then you'll still sell those consoles. And by the time your competitors have that feature, the people who really want it will have your console already.
Fair enough, but it proves that differences like these are temporary. Microsoft allowed mod support on Xbox One and Sony followed suit. That didn't take long.

I started with a food analogy. You then went "This food analogy is better", trying to prove your point through a food analogy despite saying it can't be done. You could have ignored or dropped it, you felt it would better help your argument to try and make the analogy work in your favour.
I also said two posts ago that all such analogies are faulty. You kept on trying to make them work. They don't, they are faulty, you have made several.

Your tinfoil hat behaviour is the whole "The entire console industry would die if MS didn't have exclusives"
I'm saying that Microsoft wouldn't have an edge. They botched their reputation and the only feature was Kinect which was a requirement in the start that drove up the cost of the system and delayed wordlwide launch because of language settings. Which could lead to Microsoft dropping out, I didn't say it would destroy the console market.

And I'm not saying exclusives make no difference at all. I'm sure they sell some extra consoles. They're not necessary to sell those consoles though, and if a console was going to fail, exclusives wouldn't save it.
But you are saying they should be removed. The PS2, PS3 and the 3DS show us the importance of games though.

Funnily enough, I'm not versed on every feature of every console. That said, from what I've heard from those who do use them;
PS4 has streaming capabilities built in on its controller so they're easy to use, as well as quicker install times and running times than the Xbox One. Also a slightly cleaner interface, apparently, that's a bit easier to use.
Can be changed if it turns out to be a problem. Install time is only a problem the first time.

Its also slightly cheaper in some places than the Xbox One.
Price is not a permanent feature.
Its also a smaller console, making it easier to fit in and store than the Xbox One.
Minimal difference, can be changed with hardware updates.

[/quote]Xbox One is more of a universal multimedia device, and comes with more ports for things to connect to it to allow this functionality, as well as with the One S an IR sensor to use the Xbox to control other devices, like your TV, that you'd use your remote to control. Its controller has some more tactile feedback with its trigger rumble pads, and anecdotally lasts longer both in battery life, and in wear and tear, than the PS4 controller. This is without talking about the customisable "Elite" controller. It also has better backwards compatibility options than the PS4.[/quote]
Can be changed with hardware alterations and software alterations.

If there were no exclusives for the PS4, nor the Xbox One, which would you buy, and why? Or would you buy neither?
I would stick with PC gaming. PS4 is the best system for me for its JRPGs, but if they were released everywhere then I would not bother to bring another device into my house to play the things my important work tool already does better. For most it would be a popularity's vote though. You go with what your friends get to play with them. This generation that would be the PS4 since that is the console selling the most.

You know, McDonalds and Hungry Jack's [Or Burger King if you're American] are basically the same company. They offer basically the same food. Its not McDonalds buying all Coke rights so that you have to go to McDonalds to get Coke that keeps them competitive against the other though. They are slightly different. Despite being near identical, they seem to compete just fine.
Another food analogy, didn't you complain about me for using those two posts in a row? They offer some different products.

Same with Coke and Pepsi.
They offer different products.

Pretty much everything else manages to compete just fine with its near identical competitors, without resorting to exclusive deals. In fact, they came up with a more consumer friendly method of doing those anyway; discounts and cross promotion. I've no issue if MS pays EA $100 million to sell their games $10 cheaper on the Xbox One than on the PS4. That is $10 less some consumers have to pay to get that game. I DO take issue with MS paying EA to make their next game only available on the Xbox One, or available 6 months in advance on the Xbox One. GIVE consumers things, don't take them away. Exclusives aren't necessary. The console industry would survive just fine without them. Hell, they might need to actually start doing more things for their consumers without them. Monopolies are not a good thing, and all exclusives are is a Monopoly over that product. And that's not a good thing for consumers, and its not necessary.
You've managed to cram in two food analogies using companies selling different products to compare two companies selling essentially the same product.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
MrFalconfly said:
Economically I'd say it makes a bit more sense, even to buy a pre-built gaming PC than it does to buy a cheap PC and a console on the side.

And chances are, if you've installed your own Browser, you have the required skills to install a game, no sweat.
Not everyone needs or wants a PC. And if you already own a cheap PC, it's economically more sensical to buy a console, rather than a second PC.

And PC games don't always work straight after install. PC ports tend to be so much more buggy because of the different hardware. You'll save so much time in your life by just getting them on console.. Where it's almost a guarantee the game'll work instantly.
"Not everyone needs or wants a PC".

Ehm, unless we're talking those loons who've gone completely "off the grid" (that is, no tech, no wi-fi, no nothing), then yeah, you're gonna need some sort of Personal Computer (whether that is a Mac, a Windows PC, or a Linux Computer is irrelevant).

"And if you already own a cheap PC, it's economically more sensical to buy a console, rather than a second PC."

I suggest you look a bit further forward.

If you already have a cheap PC, and decide to buy a console (because you're on a shoestring budget, for the sake of argument), you now have two pieces of electronics that need to be regularly replaced (not necessarily at the same interval. In my experience a sufficiently specced PC can last for roughly two console generations), instead of just replacing the cheap PC with a slightly more expensive PC.

"And PC games don't always work straight after install."

In my experience, current PC games aren't any more annoying to get to work than current console games (generally, they work. And if they don't I at least have the ability to troubleshoot a temporary fix, while I'm completely borked if the same issue arises on a console game).

"You'll save so much time in your life by just getting them on console.. Where it's almost a guarantee the game'll work instantly"

Again, I have both a Playstation, and a PC. I'm not saving time getting a game for the Playstation over the PC. And the guarantee for the game working instantly is the same on both of my platforms.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Yopaz said:
You ignored most of my post and made false assumptions of my age and upbringing. Well, thanks for proving me right.
Actually, I referenced most of your post. I'm just considerate enough to not flood the forums with walls upon walls of unnecessary quotes and walls of text.

And I literally never mentioned your age.. But, I do think that a "I'm right, you're wrong! Lalala" ear plugging attitude is very childish.
Did you refer to me as a milennial?
Did you refer to me as sheltered?
That's two assumptions in a very short post.
You ignored everything I said about formating of a text document when writing an application or resume.
You ignored everything I said about routers with lousy UI, paying bills (expensive without a PC here), changing your adress, changing your physician, managing your taxes, education and homework.
Did you mention any of those last things in your last post? If yes, quote that part and put it in bold. I obviously missed it. If not just admit that you ignored it.

Also to give you one actual fact about myself so you won't have to guess, the closest library is 30 kilometers away, it is dedicated to books so the computers are running outdated software that may not be compatible with the new systems. For an adult with a car that's a major inconvenience, for a kid that's an impossibility (there's no busses except for to school and back).

Also remember that this was in response to you saying people should buy a console over a PC. If you can't afford a PC that can be useful for so many things, don't buy a console. Save money for essentials.