Are there any gamer geeks who actually are good-looking?

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
My sister and i have been discussing the image of the usual gamer and basically how i believe that the usual image people have of gamers that is to say the normal geek of 'wearing glasses, chubby, etc' imagery,is absolutely wrong.
I placed myself as an example, but she says i don't count.
My sister disagrees, because while it's true she hasn't seen any true dedicated gamer looking any appealing (and neither did i, yet), i believe this is just a matter of perspective...sort of.
The thing is, she wants to see normal people , the everyday John and the everyday Mary gamers because, i showed her both Lisa Foiles and Ben Yahtzee (i was actually watching last weeks zero punctuation when this discussion happened), who i think are somewhat good looking people who are related to the gaming community, but she dissed them as example because in her opinion while Lisa Foiles is pretty, she thinks she is more close the model demographic and she said some things about her body that might get me banned for even quoting, and dissed Ben as good looking (wich is odd, because i think he looks so much better than me)and she said he looked like The guy with the glasses, but less appealing.
Things weren't looking pretty well for me, so thats why i think to prove her that normal people who are dedicated gamers do look different than the stereotype, i should just go into a gaming comunity and ask for help.
So, Escapists, do you want to help, as superficial as this is?

!!!!!EDIT!!!!! PEOPLE: SHE CHANGED HER MIND, WE WON! :D

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Aside from cheerleading and modeling, when has personal appearance had anything to do with people's hobbies and passtimes?

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
this would be me (from a year or two back). Im not saying im good looking. im just not "wearing glasses, chubby,etc"

as someone put it im "the most normal person he knows" and i dont know how to take that

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
DeadlyYellow said:
Aside from cheerleading and modeling, when has personal appearance had anything to do with people's hobbies and passtimes?
I know what you mean, but she thinks all gamers look like geeks ala
http://www.plognark.com/Art/Sketches/Blogsketches/2008/keyboardcommando.jpg

So yeah...

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
Me and all my friends are gamers, some even more so than others, all quite nerdy. We look just like and behave 'normal' people Most of us have a partner, or are at least dating (people who are non-nerds usually), so I guess that makes us somewhat good looking.
The way I have found is to make gaming an aspect of your life, not just your life. I love me a 10 hour gaming marathon, but I would just as much enjoy going for a drink with friends or a ride on my bike.
Keep the power, we are all beautiful nerds!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
mb16 said:
this would be me (from a year or two back). Im not saying im good looking. im just not "wearing glasses, chubby,etc"

as someone put it im "the most normal person he knows" and i dont know how to take that
What are you looking at in the picture, the extractor fan? How very Byronic of you.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
ConnorCool said:
Me and all my friends are gamers, some even more so than others, all quite nerdy. We look just like and behave 'normal' people Most of us have a partner, or are at least dating (people who are non-nerds usually), so I guess that makes us somewhat good looking.
The way I have found is to make gaming an aspect of your life, not just your life. I love me a 10 hour gaming marathon, but I would just as much enjoy going for a drink with friends or a ride on my bike.
Keep the power, we are all beautiful nerds!
Well, i just read your post to her, and she likes the fact that you make it just an aspect of your life....and i guess thats all she wants to say <.<

mb16 said:

She wants to know how old are you?
Apparently she wants to know the range of ages of gamers.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
maninahat said:
mb16 said:

What are you looking at in the picture, the extractor fan? How very Byronic of you.
there is a window there, and i had only just got up so i was still slightly groggy

l3o2828 said:
mb16 said:

She wants to know how old are you?
Apparently she wants to know the range of ages of gamers.
in that picture i would say 17ish. Im 19 now, i just lack any newer pics

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
Huh, that's new...I feel geek-ish enough to browse the Lexicanum regularly (I actually like Warhammer because of its story, how geek is that? No seriously, tell me) and I like LARPing to the point of owning a suit of armor and several professionally made boffer 'sword replicas' (i.e. not boffer tape around a broom handle but quality foam around fibre cores that actually looks like a sword and not a American Gladiators decoration)

I don't see myself as a Calvin Klein model, but I'm definitely not unattractive either. I also find it really easy to talk to girls and I really think this is a stereotype like any other. Not every geek lives in his basement choffing down Cheetos while letting his neckbeard grow wildly. Neither is every Halo or Call of Duty fan a twitching, foul-mouthed, raging, drooling 11 year old with ADD. Nor is a racism stereotype automatically applicable to every single member of an ethnic group.

Maybe some people are like that and they are the most visible form of 'stereotype', but as always, the minority of bad examples drags the rest down with it.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Urgh. Why stereotype people?

I'm a massive nerd in many ways, but I would consider myself...averagely good looking (although I'm not going to post a picture). My friends as well who nerdy (albeit maybe not as me) are also good looking chaps. I have a female friend who is a "gamer" and she's hot!

It is a shame that the stereotype of a "gamer" is a greasy, dorky looking guy, and yes, some "gamers" are, but so are some guitar players, or footballers, or anything!

Like DeadlyYellow said:
DeadlyYellow said:
A person's looks have nothing to do with this kind of hobby, and the sooner we shake the stereotype the better.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
In answer to the OP, yes, I'm a geek and most people find me good looking. Was this thread just an excuse to get free photos of attractive nerds?

TheEverix

May 31, 2011
No. It is impossible for people who enjoy videogames to be physically attractive.
/sarcasm

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Okay

I am neither into Koreans nor men, but this guy leaves me breathless!

Of course you don't see his face, but why would you want to? His left hand is enough to know the beauty of this person.

Apart from that, I can't really judge mens looks, so I have to go by the looks of their girlfriends.
And InControl

has Miss Oregon 2011 as girlfriend

, so I suppose he is good looking?

Apart from that, I consider myself gamer-geekish, and I look like shit!

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Not too blow my own trumpet...but

toot toot
That was me a year ago leaving work (when I was working in a computer shop (read playing wow all day))...Prob the best I've ever looked so I took the pic...Too things fill my life if you exclude work...Mountain biking and Gaming, people generally guess that I am 'extreme sports' but not e-sports...Prob would do now cause I look like an unwashed cave man but thats besides the point xD

*any excuse to show that photo is taken xD sorry*

My ex wife was a model for Suicide girls and she was more Hardcore than me in mmo's xD

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
maninahat said:
In answer to the OP, yes, I'm a geek and most people find me good looking. Was this thread just an excuse to get free photos of attractive nerds?
Hahahahaha...No.

WELL, Apparently my sister agrees with you, and now she wants to know the Range of age of gamers who are not fat geeks.
While she is now somewhat more convinced that it's just an stereotype, she wants to know how many gamers are over 20 years, that apprently are either working or studying in collegue, what i understand from that is that she doent understand is how gamers over 20 years find time to be playing a considerable ammount of time...but i guess that material for another, dreary topic?