Are there any gamer geeks who actually are good-looking?

remedyX

Jun 8, 2011
People who call themselves "gamers" and use it to define their existence are usually not aesthetically appealing. There's usually something unsavoury about them. Whereas a "sports person" spends a lot of time getting fit and interacting with people and "intellectuals" spend a lot of time communicating with people.

Introversion doesn't make pretty people, 'gamers' have a natural disadvantage.

At the same time, what point is your sister trying to make?

edit- Can I just add what a vacuous and pointless circlejerk this thread is.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
SilentSh0tz said:
So what are you implying? That every person who plays video games is considered a "geek" and have no sense of personal hygiene or physical health? How stereotypical of you.
Again, my sister implied that.
I already berated her for it through an hour, there's no need to rage about it.
AND she changed her mind about it.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Duffeknol said:
Actually that would be me. I look like Jensen Ackles in a way, I'm an extremely dedicated gamer and even a Warhammer 40k nerd. Proof of good looks:

SNIP
It's Alastair from Dragon Age Origins IRL. Flee my friend FLEE before the fan girls see you!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I don't know, why don't you tell me?

[small]If the file-name of the image raises any red flags, the "edited" part refers to how the original image was wider - I cropped out a bit on the right that was making the aspect ratio wonky when displayed at smaller sizes. The image itself is untouched in any way apart from that though.[/small]
I work in IT and have been an avid gamer and all around nerd for longer than most forum members here have been alive (I would ramble on about how much I love Warhammer 40,000 but the Kharn the Betrayer avatar I sport kind of does that for me all by itself).

[small]Please note that I make that age-related claim because the demographics here are heavily skewed towards the mid to late teens section of ye olde chronological scale, not because I'm secretly ancient and just don't look my age (which is 28 as of a month ago, so by the standards of these forums I qualify for a walker and a cantankerous attitude regarding "whippersnappers").[/small]

I don't wear glasses by the way, apart from the pair of sunglasses I'm wearing in just about every extant photograph of me floating around out there (I don't tend to leave the house without them and I hate flash photography, so when someone points a camera in my direction I "raise the blast shields" as it were, heh).

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
remedyX said:
People who call themselves "gamers" and use it to define their existence are usually not aesthetically appealing. There's usually something unsavoury about them. Whereas a "sports person" spends a lot of time getting fit and interacting with people and "intellectuals" spend a lot of time communicating with people.

Yes, yes you can.
But i'm not going to close this thread until it goes dead...wich is going to happen in 3...2...1...

My sister's point was already stated.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
l3o2828 said:
I'd really suggest adding an "EDIT:" to your original post to say that she's changed her mind, or people are just gonna keep calling her out on something she's already been convinced otherwise of.
A lot of people don't even read past the first page, unfortunately. >_>

Anyway... Since this seems to be turning into a "Post Your Picture" thread anyway,
My hair is even more ridiculous than usual, and annoyingly out of place in a couple places on my forehead, but nonetheless, here's me performing in an open mic night a month or 2 ago. ^_^

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/RickyB_photo/218172_10150165129651976_651286975_7272250_2213271_n.jpg

EDIT: Oh, yea. I've been basically a nerd/geek most of my life. I've played games for as long as I can remember, but I also used to live on a farm before our family moved over here to Aus.
Just some extra, (at this point) unneeded info for y'all. o_O

remedyX

Jun 8, 2011
Deadlock Radium said:
Chapper said:

I think I look right around average, I guess. Nothing to brag about. And I'm a geek for Pokémon, Street Fighter and RPGs mainly.
That's one Norwegian look. I approve. :D

I'm the one to the right in two of the photos.
And yes, that's so called "hipster glasses" that I bought for 5 euros in France for teh lulz.
The next two weeks were full of "Too mainstream"-jokes and stuff. I want to go back now.
Whats that around your neck?

Also, these people don't help:

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
That's funny, I had somewhat the same discussion with my sister couple of years ago, she also said I didn't count.

I'm 29 and I look like a younger Johnny Depp (maybe with more brain damage).

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Someone being good looking or not is completely subjective, therefore someone might find the fattest, most disgusting nerd attractive, so your question is invalid.

Banthius

Mar 24, 2011
Well, I have three children 5, 3, and 1.5. I'm 33, going back to college for Botany and Biochemistry, and every time I go to the stores with less than all three kids I get hit on by girls 10 years younger and older than me. I played D&D until I was 20ish, been playing video games since age 3 and if I don't get at least 2 hours of gaming in every day I feel robbed. Oh yeah, I also prospect for gold and do landscaping in the summer for cash.

Hope this blows all your notions out of the water. Also, 2 of my "nerdiest" gamer friends that play more games than me and also do Axis & Allies (board game), AND play Warhammer 40,000 tabletop.....well they are both Iraq and Afganistan Veterans that were Scouts or Recon. How's that grab ya?

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Yes. Me.

/thread

No but seriously I'm no model but I like to think I'm above average.

Protip: screw the gym, go play a team sport.
Working out is like grinding.
A match (basketball, tennis, whatever) isn't that different from PvP games.
Guess wich you will get sick of faster?

Also: you'd be amazed what a difference some spiffy clothes make.

BTW your sister seems to have the same problem as mine: if you don't look like the gamer stereotype than you aren't one and therefore you don't count. Wel OFCOURSE all gamers will look like the stereotype if that's how you reason -.-

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
remedyX said:

Introversion, or Extroversion have nothing to do with attractiveness at all, neither does the label we give ourselves, your post shows you as a very shallow person who is overly concerned with what people call themselves and the stereotypes connected to that.

remedyX

Jun 8, 2011
l3o2828 said:
remedyX said:

Yes, yes you can.
But i'm not going to close this thread until it goes dead...wich is going to happen in 3...2...1...

My sister's point was already stated.
To be honest I wasn't really asking for your sisters point, what I was trying to do was trick you into questioning her motivations. Sneaky, I know, I'm awesome like that.

You see, I didn't want to, nor do I want to, delve into the social mores and gender roles that I feel are the crux of this issue. It is obvious that yes, there must be at least one 'handsome' "gamer" and so it is also clear that you weren't actually asking.

Sep 14, 2009
well I fail to appeal to most stereotypes, most of my "nerd" friends and myself, all love to play sports and workout, I already have my full tan going on, im about 170 at 5'9 and my senior pictures were used all over for advertising (surprisingly there is still one up in the ghetto mall downtown) at the place i had mine taken, so I'd like to think i have some "decent" looks

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Crazycat690 said:
Someone being good looking or not is completely subjective, therefore someone might find the fattest, most disgusting nerd attractive, so your question is invalid.
1) I Agree
2) It wasn't my question, it was my sister question
and 3 for all users ) Don't treat the title as MY question, it was MY sisters, she changed her mind, no need to rage and dont need to tell me 'oh YOUR question is unvalid' because i was the first person to tell her how unvalid HER question was.
Thank you.

remedyX

Jun 8, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
remedyX said:

Introversion, or Extroversion have nothing to do with attractiveness at all, neither does the label we give ourselves, your post shows you as a very shallow person who is overly concerned with what people call themselves and the stereotypes connected to that.
So what, the way we identify ourselves and the group we put ourselves into has nothing to do with our outwards appearance?

Excuse me while I conceal my laughter.

Introversion certainly does have an effect on our appearance. Introversion prevents social interaction, which makes it more difficult to actively participate in conversation/social events which makes you less attractive. This is pretty obvious stuff. Just because you don't like it doesn't render it false.

How people define themselves is the way they choose to appear. Appear-ance. Wait. Wo!
How we appear affects our appearance?! WTF!?!

In all seriousness though, how can anyone actually respond to a topic about appearance without being "shallow" and looking at "stereotypes".

Please.

-edit-minor