Are Women Tournaments Sexist?

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
Zyst said:
rollerfox88 said:
Zyst said:
rollerfox88 said:
Of course Women Only tournaments are sexist? Just as Men Only ones are.

That said, I see absolutely no reason not for them to exist. If you only want to play against people of the same gender as you, its your right to do so.
Please do tell me the last pro gaming tournament with a prize pool above 1k US or 500EU branded as male only, I'm not being condescending here I'm genuinely curious because I've never seen one.
My friend, I dont know of any pro-gaming tournaments, prize or no prize. All Im saying is that while it is definitely sexist to set a tournament up and ban one sex from entering, nothing should stop someone doing so if they want to. You want a male-only tournament with a prize over $1000? Go for it, set one up.

I live in England, where we dont have the right to freedom of speech/choice, but just because I wouldnt choose to hold a sexist tournament I wouldnt object to someone else doing so.
The point is there are no male only tournaments, while should there be female only ones where it's a mind game exclusively? Do argue about reflexes and stuff please, it hasn't been covered at all.
Nope, because men and women are basically equivalent when it comes to gaming (an argument could be made that men possess better spacial awareness which may help depending on the game, but Im not gonna stir that bag of cats).

My point is, if there are no male-only tournaments, I take it as meaning thats because, so far, men havent cared about who theyre competing against. If someone did set up a male only tournament, would you object to it on the same grounds?
Hell yes, and I'm sure there'd be a huge shit storm about it too, EVEN IF there are no women in the game at the top bracket there'd still be an outrage because why the hell would you do that?

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
As much as I love games, I find the whole notion of "pro" leagues to be ridiculous.

But then I see all "professional" level sports and/or games as ridiculous.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
Zyst said:
rollerfox88 said:
Zyst said:
rollerfox88 said:
Zyst said:
rollerfox88 said:
Of course Women Only tournaments are sexist? Just as Men Only ones are.

That said, I see absolutely no reason not for them to exist. If you only want to play against people of the same gender as you, its your right to do so.
Please do tell me the last pro gaming tournament with a prize pool above 1k US or 500EU branded as male only, I'm not being condescending here I'm genuinely curious because I've never seen one.
My friend, I dont know of any pro-gaming tournaments, prize or no prize. All Im saying is that while it is definitely sexist to set a tournament up and ban one sex from entering, nothing should stop someone doing so if they want to. You want a male-only tournament with a prize over $1000? Go for it, set one up.

I live in England, where we dont have the right to freedom of speech/choice, but just because I wouldnt choose to hold a sexist tournament I wouldnt object to someone else doing so.
The point is there are no male only tournaments, while should there be female only ones where it's a mind game exclusively? Do argue about reflexes and stuff please, it hasn't been covered at all.
Nope, because men and women are basically equivalent when it comes to gaming (an argument could be made that men possess better spacial awareness which may help depending on the game, but Im not gonna stir that bag of cats).

My point is, if there are no male-only tournaments, I take it as meaning thats because, so far, men havent cared about who theyre competing against. If someone did set up a male only tournament, would you object to it on the same grounds?
Hell yes, and I'm sure there'd be a huge shit storm about it too, EVEN IF there are no women in the game at the top bracket there'd still be an outrage because why the hell would you do that?
Personally, I wouldnt. But the people that would, I imagine would do it because theyre sexist. Hence the thread.
So the people who speak up for gay rights do it because they're against it? And people who complain about a social sex issue in our medium are sexist? I'm not following your logic.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
This is ridiculous. The only reason men and women do not compete in the same groups in atheletics is for the same reason boxers of different weight categories do not fight one another.

A lot of people have spoken about Chess, though I've always suspected that is because of Russian influence on the sport and they're not big fans of women's rights.

The only non-sexist argument for women's gamer tournaments is if you wanted to do so for the purposes of promoting gaming a much potential female consumers.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Frankster said:
I love how thrashtalking and unsporting/dickish behaviour is naturally associated to my gender by some and presented as an argument as to why women shouldn't compete with guys of all things.
I don't appreciate that either. I don't trash talk... whether you do it when you're winning or losing, you look like an idiot.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
(sic) humor said:
I remember asking the same thing about women's Go tournaments. A friend suggested that maybe they were necessary to cultivate female players who would otherwise be turned away by the male dominated game.

He later said he was bullshitting. It sounded convincing at first, but it was still sexist and patronizing.

So no, we shouldn't divide non-physical activities between men and women, we should encourage skilled women to enter coed tournaments.
If people feel more at home in a tournament or venue that caters to their sex or gender specifically, it's good that they've found somewhere they can be comfortable. I cannot help feeling, however, that the necessity of things like this and Gaymercon are a sign of our shortcomings as a community, particularly that we are not inclusive enough. I just like to see a wider variety of people knocking about.