Are you an Achievement Whore?

Convoy

Dec 30, 2011
Just wondering, and for PlayStation players, do you go out of your way for trophies?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Only if I really like the game, and find it rewarding enough to play through it a few more times. Or I want to replay the game again, and decide to get a few achievements on my way out.

The only game I whore out with is multiplayer games I play a lot, namely TF2 and Killing Floor.

tonysands1

Feb 23, 2011
When I was on Xbox I did all I could within reason to get achievements left right and centre. I was an achievement whore.

Now that I'm primarily on PS3, I'm not as bothered. As long as I dont have to go out of my way to get a trophy, or it's fun in the process, then I'm not overly fussed.

I think achievements/trophies have ruined a part of the gaming process as it means that games dont have generally have cheats anymore, and that it forces you (if you're so inclined) to play a certain way for an immaterial, insignificant number/stat. Think extra punctuation or Jimquistion covered this........

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
I used to be one back when I first got one. All I ever did was go for achievements because it was fun and something to do! Now adays I just blow through the game and work for a few if they don't take much.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Not usually no, but if I'm on a game and I find I'm getting a lot of achievements then I become a little obsessed :3

Kingme18

Destroyer of Worlds
Mar 26, 2011
TestECull said:
No. Personally I feel them to be absolutely useless in the best of cases, and worst case a detriment to the game. Games are supposed to be played for fun, not to grind away after useless icons on your profile that do absolutely fucking nothing.
I disagree. You are in no way required to earn achievements. I feel that they add replay value, to an extent. Also, most achievements I have to "grind" are achievements that I am proud to have. They're no way a detriment to the game, seeing as they are completely optional. This is all in my personal opinion, of course.

And yes, I am a huge achievement whore!

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I'm not remotely motivated on getting achievements even when they always deliberly put them in your way for doing something basic. Now if those achivements are required to unlock additional modes, abilities, videos, concept art, etc. then I might be more keen on that. Preferbally things that are optional though.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
i don't mind getting achievements, but some can be really horrid to gt or are only obtainable in multiplayer (which i don't play)

mad_mick

Jul 19, 2008
im a dirty, filthy triple C***** achievement whore. I find it rewarding to be able to show what i have accomplished, especially in games like halo reach, i completed the campaign on legendary on my own! With no achievement to back up my story, my mates would say 'yeah right you dooch' but instead they call me god ;)

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
No and to me, achievements are ruining games. I just play games for fun, not to grind out achievements.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I like doing a lot of achievements. It's often a great way to play the game in a way that you hadn't before, for example:

In Half Life 2: Episode 1 there is an achievement for using only one bullet the whole game. So pretty much all your kills have to be done with the Gravity Gun. I thought it would be a lot harder then it was, turns out I found some pretty neat ways to use the gravity gun.

I also like collecting stuff, finding new areas and whatnot. So I'm very glad to have achievements that give interesting reasons to re-play a game.

I like achievements a lot, but I wouldn't say I'm and "Achievement Whore" since if I don't like an achievement, I wont go out of my way to get it. People who feel "forced" to do achievements need to do some rethinking.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I rarely try to get achievements but there are games I have tried to 100% complete, and usually stop around 80% because I hit the wall I can't pass...

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Not really. I'd give the achievement an honest few hundred tries, but after a while I'd get bored of trying and admit defeat. Achievements are great to get, but not if I'm going to throw my controller in frustration after many failed attempts.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
Only if I get over 75% of the achievements. Anything less than 75% and I ignore the achievements completely. If I get 75% or more from just playing the game how I wanna play, I go the extra mile and get the rest.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
If I like the game enough I'll do it as an afterward. I'm not going to ruin my first playthrough of a game by restarting a level for two hours to, "Drop onto an Elite from a fatal height and assassinate him to save yourself."

*Note, that achievement took me nearly two hours for some reason.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
i like getting Trophies provides extra challenge towards the game i rekon like in Enslaved for instance

mad_mick

Jul 19, 2008
Smeggs said:
If I like the game enough I'll do it as an afterward. I'm not going to ruin my first playthrough of a game by restarting a level for two hours to, "Drop onto an Elite from a fatal height and assassinate him to save yourself."

I KNOW!!!!! if i wasn't such a dirty whore i would have been able to just leave it, but no, i had to get that damn achievement didnt i!

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
I like to have an objective. If there's more shit to do, and I really like the game, yeah, I'll go for the 'chievos. Never feel obligated, though.

EDIT:

mad_mick said:
Smeggs said:

I KNOW!!!!! if i wasn't such a dirty whore i would have been able to just leave it, but no, i had to get that damn achievement didnt i!
Ah, how B.net exploded on that one.
Turned out the damn thing was glitched. Took me hours as well.