Are you an Achievement Whore?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Sleekgiant said:
No and to me, achievements are ruining games. I just play games for fun, not to grind out achievements.

Could you explain how it is ruining anything ,since they are optional? It's just a little extra thing you can do if you are bored or when you replay a game .

OT: Not really , BUT if a game gives me an achievement for beating the game on hardmode , i will ALWAYS start the game on the highest difficulty on my first playthrough . I do however ,check the achievements beforehand and try to complete the most of them on my first playthrough , as long as they aren't collectables , i hate collectables *glares at PoP 2008* .

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
If I already enjoy the game then I'll usually go out of my way to get achievements - they're basically little extra rewards that add more play value by challenging me to do things I might not have otherwise done. Of course, if I didn't think too highly of a game in the first place then the achievements aren't worth jack to me. I like the happy little "boop" and fleeting feeling of accomplishment one receives for successfully gaining an achievement, but I really don't care about gamerscore at all.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
More of a completionist.
I'll try to do everything in a game, but I won't deliberately buy an easy game to get gamerscore.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I do enjoy having achievements and I'll admit to a small sense of pride when I have a lot of them in a particular game. I also think that they encourage you to extend the lifespan of a game but I wouldn't really care if they were done away with.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I can be at times, but there are some achievements I could really care less about. For me, they're an extra little thing to do and can give you reason to play a game in a slightly different way sometimes. Although, the achievements I usually don't go for are ones that require me to go out of my way to get or do something or are otherwise not worth my time.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Convoy said:
Just wondering, and for PlayStation players, do you go out of your way for trophies?
For awhile I was an achievement whore on Xbox 360. I'd go out of my way to get achievements and even play games such as King Kong and TMNT because they were easy 1000s. Nowadays I don't put too much emphasis on my overall score. I just think it is sort of meaningless since some game's achievements are far too easy to get while other games are much more difficult. However, I take pride in maxing out a particular game instead of just having a high overall score. I'm in the process of trying to get 1000 on Skyrim which will take quite awhile. Sure, I could easily get 1000 from playing Avatar, but I think completing all of Skyrim's achievements would be a much better accomplishment.

However, on PS3 I haven't payed much attention to trophies whatsoever. I see some pop up as I'm playing games, but I never actually look at the list and try to intentionally get them. I have few friends who own PS3s so there isn't really any friendly rivalry to see who can max out certain games.

TL;DR- I used to be an achievement whore on xbox, but now I only go for maxing out particular games. PS3 I don't pay much attention to trophies at all.

CountryMike

Jul 26, 2008
Not a whore, but I do like the concept. Sometimes they're fun. But I'm not doing tedious ones like collect 100 hidden whatevers. Except Fallout 3 with the bobbleheads. There weren't many to collect and they increased your stats.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
krazykidd said:
Sleekgiant said:
No and to me, achievements are ruining games. I just play games for fun, not to grind out achievements.

Could you explain how it is ruining anything ,since they are optional? It's just a little extra thing you can do if you are bored or when you replay a game .
I've joined to many multiplayer games where people are not actually playing the game and are begging for others to help them get achievements, which to me ruins a game as they should be focusing on playing and not getting some stupid little award.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Not if I don't enjoy the game to begin with and not if they're a pain to get.
Usually they're just a minor incentive to mix up my play style but they can show me fun parts of a game that I would have missed otherwise. For example, the trophies for various kills in Uncharted are a far less disruptive inducement for the player to change weapons than burdening them with too little ammunition. Also, when I really like a game I want to platinum it so it won't look neglected on my profile.

The only game where I put myself through a joyless grind for trophies was GTA IV. I bought it immediately on release & thoroughly disliked it. Later they patched in trophy support and I had to play through again because after suffering through the campaign I damn well wanted my chest-ribbons.

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
O maestre said:
as much as i hate to admit it, microsoft had the right idea with achievement points. for example assassins creed is a game i really like and once i ran out of stuff to do, it seemed natural to start chasing achievements. it does add some sort of longevity.

although it must be said i would only play for the achievements if the game is something i really enjoyed and couldn't get any more novelty out of. achievements are well suited for linear games like assassins creed.

one critique though is that the more often than not lack of creativity in regards to achieving the point somewhats stunts their value. like when you are awarded points for simply starting the game, if you guys can digg what im saying?
if you made the effort to get the billion flags in ACI...you are both a loser and a god good sir

Dark Link

Jul 27, 2009
No, I don't whore them at all. I don't even usually actively try and obtain them unless they have an effect in-game such as unlocking content which is getting far rarer these days with the introduction of DLC. My skill in a game isn't determined by an arbitrary number beside my gamertag. Once I joined a private game in Halo with friends to see what they were doing, they were of course boosting achievements. Upon being asked why the general response was "To make us look better". I don't play games to look good, I'm there for fun, and if I want to look good I'll do it by going into a game and trying my best to come out in the top half of the scoreboard.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I've never played just for the achievements, however only 2 more steam achievements till I have all of them for "Dwarfs?!" :3

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
No, I couldn't care less about trophies unless they require a fun and/or interesting challenge.

For example, I'm currently replaying Deus Ex HR with no kills or alarms on the highest difficulty setting. Doing that will get me 3 gold trophies, but those are just a bonus. It's testing myself that matters.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I usually get any achievements that aren't too far out of the way, but honestly, most games don't require much aside from playing through all the available content to get the majority of the achievements. For instance, if you import a character and do the suicide mission perfectly in Mass Effect 2, you can get all of the achievements in one playthrough pretty much unintentionally.

I like when achievements involve little things that are random and fun and cause you to try things you may not have done otherwise, like "I'm on a boat!" or the plumber one from Borderlands, or the one where you fly under the bridges in GTAIV, or where you head south on a white bronco in Red Dead Redemption, or for finding the hidden vortigaunt cave in Halflife 2, or killing 10 chickens in 10 seconds in one of the Call of Dutys. These aren't very complicated, but they're fun and take achievements a little beyond "Beat x level" or "level up 20 times" or "kill 1000 people," and they don't happen enough for my tastes