Are you an Achievement Whore?

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
mad_mick said:
I find it rewarding to be able to show what i have accomplished, especially in games like halo reach, i completed the campaign on legendary on my own! With no achievement to back up my story, my mates would say 'yeah right you dooch' but instead they call me god ;)
Ah, a Monument to Your Sins. I have one of those too. :)

Extra Credits did a piece on achievements, where they complained about achievements that are given just for completing segments of normal gameplay. A guy in the comments who worked for a game developer had a really interesting reply. He said that tracking those types of achievements can be useful for developers, because it essentially provides a timeline for people's completion of a game. If there's a point where large numbers of players take a long time to get a "chapter", or don't get it at all, it may be because that section of the game is uninteresting, too hard, etc.

OT: Yes, I am a shameless achievement whore. One of my happiest recent moments in gaming was finally getting the "Mile High Club" achievement in CoD4, which gave me 100% completion in what is one of my favorite games ever.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Yea I'm a Shameless trophy whore, I am fully aware that they do nothing but I just go for them to extend playtime and stuff, If its to hard I give up, If I don't like the game I stop playing it.

I have 41 Platinum trophies though.

Its funny seeing people getting there panties in a bunch and saying that they're ruining gaming.

Achievements/Trophies really do have the ability to Improve a game though, by adding challenges and extending the playtime, HOWEVER and its a big HOWEVER, this solely comes down to the developers, and some just seem to be more content with making them tedious than fun, it would also be nice if most games list weren't so Cut and Paste. Complete the game on its hardest difficulty, get all collectables, fully upgrade your character BAM Platinum.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i like the added challenge. i dont usually go for the ridiculously difficult or grind-requiring achievements, though.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
It depends on the game and type of achievement.

In, say, Oblivion, I have them all because despite not being that interested in the thieves guild I love that game sooo much not having 100% felt odd.

However, I'm missing tons in games which require me to play a certain way to get them (IE: Kill 150 enemies with Fire Damage). OK, these achievements extend a game's longevity. But only by forcing players to play through multiple times with the exact same story. Games where I have multiple paths to follow I will happily play multiple times.

Anything with an interesting and well written story gets me hooked, but I don't go for 100% completion unless I'm still finding it fun to play. If I am, I get every damn achievement. No idea why.

mad_mick said:
im a dirty, filthy triple C***** achievement whore. I find it rewarding to be able to show what i have accomplished, especially in games like halo reach, i completed the campaign on legendary on my own! With no achievement to back up my story, my mates would say 'yeah right you dooch' but instead they call me god ;)

Haha, I enjoyed getting that one, but in my circle of friends it's nothing to brag about. I know someone who got the game on release date and had that by the end of the day. I was proud of taking less than a week.

Diablo27

Jul 18, 2010
I wouldn't get somebody to get the achievement for me, as I like to get them myself but I definitely go out of my way to get them sometimes.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Yes, I really love achievements and how they can add new depth to a game or make you try something you would have never done. Of corse I do try to get as many as I can, but there are "those" achievements that just bust your balls and/or make the game your playing a chore instead of a playing a game

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Kingme18 said:
TestECull said:
No. Personally I feel them to be absolutely useless in the best of cases, and worst case a detriment to the game. Games are supposed to be played for fun, not to grind away after useless icons on your profile that do absolutely fucking nothing.
I disagree. You are in no way required to earn achievements. I feel that they add replay value, to an extent. Also, most achievements I have to "grind" are achievements that I am proud to have. They're no way a detriment to the game, seeing as they are completely optional. This is all in my personal opinion, of course.

And yes, I am a huge achievement whore!
I agree with this sentiment.

I did however find that for a bit, I was starting to hunt achievements from the start instead of just enjoying the game. I solved this by turning off notifications and just playing the game. Afterwards, I find it enjoyable to look at what achievements I have earned. Once I've beaten a game, I will go back at some point and try to get the achievements though.

Personally, I hate the multiplayer ones. I think those ruin the online aspect of the game. I remember a time in Gears of War when a lot of people were running around trying to kill me with chainsaws left and right just to get an achievement. I stay away from games like that online.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Sorta?

If I find that I'm enjoying the game enough to go out of my way to grab some achievements then yes.

In some cases an achievement is a reward for a challenge already implicit in the game (like beating the dream sequences in Bastion w/all 10 gods invoked). In those cases the process of getting the achievement can be an enjoyable task.

If I find myself getting too frustrated or just bored going after an achievement then I stop. Most of the time I won't go out of my way for stupid ones like "Kill certain enemy by dealing an exact amount of damage" but if I find that I'm close to one like "Kill 10,000 enemies w/certain weapon" I might decide to delay switching to another weapon to get the achievement.

Games should be fun. Achievements (or rather the tasks for which you get achievements) can add to the fun--and when they do I'll go after them.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
"Achievements" ruined gaming. Especially MMO's. I can't even count how many dipshits denied me entry into WoW endgame (back when I still played) just because I wasn't whore enough to magically HAVE the achievements by that point.

Edit: I will admit that it's a nice feeling if I'm actually aiming for an achievement that's impossible to get by accident. And then feel even better when I somehow DO get them by accident, like all the Killing Floor Christmas achievements of 2011. Caught me completely off guard, all of them.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Only game I have really whored myself on so far would Be Skyrim. I want to get all 1000 Gamerscore on it.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Kind of. Although I recently exchanged Achivements for Trophies and never looked back :)
I'll go for the easy ones, and the out of the way ones. And do a special thing once. I won't try to get ones like kill 1000 things or beat the game on ultra super hard difficulty.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Oh GOD yes. It's stupid, but I am to get most of them. Mostly 'cause you might miss out on something in the game if you don't.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yes, but only after I have completed the story of the game first and I don't buy a game solely for achievements. To me, achievements give me something extra to do after I've finished the story so I'm not going to complain with getting to do more on a game I enjoy

Gamerscore is currently 84458 out of a possible 164535 (51.33...%)
I have 4118/7499 achievements (54.91...%)
and I have got all the achievements in 36 games (although a fair few of these are XBLA titles so worth less)

Modern Warfare 3
Sonic The Hedgehog (XBLA)
Skyrim
Sonic Generations
Alice: Madness Returns
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (XBLA)
Modern Warfare 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (although I haven't played it since the DLC)
Toy Story 3
Hitman: Blood Money
The Sims 3
LEGO Batman
Sonic & Knuckles (XBLA)
Doritos Crash Course (XBLA)
The Simpsons Game
Sonic 4 Episode 1 (XBLA)
Final Fantasy XIII
LEGO Indiana Jones
Dead Rising 2: Case West (XBLA)
CSI: Deadly Intent
CSI: Hard Evidence
Harm's Way (XBLA)
Oblivion
Civilization Revolution
Smackdown vs Raw 2010
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3
Assassin's Creed II
1 vs 100 (XBLA)
3 on 3 NHL Arcade (XBLA)
Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (XBLA)
TMNT
The Godfather II

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
Somewhat. I enjoy it, I may hunt for some achievements, but mainly it's a dick waving contest between my friends and I.

crispskittlez

Jan 14, 2010
I used to be so badly, so far as to be the only one in my group of friends to 1k Assassin's Creed 1 + 2, but ever since graduation and getting a job, I'm simply satisfied with what little time I have to play games now.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Nope, I never play a game for achievements.
If I happen to get one I'll be like "oh hey, cool"
But I'm not trying to get them or hunting them.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I like them if they're creative and expand my playing time in a game. Games like Halo, Bayonetta/Devil May Cry type games though? Their cheevos are crap and don't add to it. Beat it on hard, beat it on legendary, beat it entirely coop. Not cool achievements. Give me something extra to look for in the game. I'll treat it like a side mission, I'm an RPG guy anyway. A prototype for good ones would be Left 4 Dead. All sorts of strange things to try in L4D
Edit: Also, I like how Bioware handles achievements(atleast on Mass Effect and Dragon Age). If you get certain achievements it opens up new bonus items/powers(ie the High Regard of House Dace or the ability to choose slam as a bonus power, even I'd your a soldier) in your next playthrough. Nice reward for playing the meta-game