Are you sad that you're going to eventually die?

Fugitive Panda

Jan 21, 2011
Well, this thread is what finally made me register, congratulations.

I remember when I first realized this. I was young, probably not even double-digits, and it was late at night when my parents had already gone to sleep. I crawled out of bed, in tears, and woke my parents up crying "I'm going to die someday." Sorry mom, I'm sure that was a little unnerving.

But, after being tucked back in, I concluded it wasn't worth worrying about. But I've been thinking about this subject a lot lately, and I've found it still terrifies me. I don't want to die. I've played RPGs, I know immortality and agelessness is overrated, and I understand that the looming shadow of death is what keeps people productive and gives them purpose, but that's no comfort to me.

I don't want to die and have the world trudge on without me. I enjoy life, and I don't want it to end. I want to see all the things to come in the future.

But, seeing how most of the replies have been either "It's silly to worry about that" or "I try not to think about it", I get the impression this isn't something you're ever supposed to be comfortable with.

In the end, I guess the best you can do is not let the fear of death interfere with your life. I'm still working on that.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Not at all. As a Christian I look at death as being a final step on the journey towards eternal life.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Am I sad I'm going to die? Hell, half the time I'm sad that I was ever born. I think I will grow weary of living long before I die...

Blackflame140

Apr 22, 2009
I dont fear death, i only fear on how it will come. Death shall be bliss, but the moments leading up to it i can only hope shall be fast.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
It's actually the reason to move forward faster. (Both: because you'll know what's after that and because you need to use life to the fullest.)

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
The 'Big 4' of metal are playing sonisphere festival in the UK this summer. I see that and I can do whatever I like with the rest of my life since nothing else will matter.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
AssassinJoe said:
Only when I think about it...........

Wait..... aw, damn.
Hahah ^^

OT: Yes and no.
Yes because I'd REALLY like to know how the story (of the universe) ends.
No because...if we didnt die everything would be come meaningless. Things have value because they are not eternal.

RhombusHatesYou said:
Anytime I get a bit down about the idea, I just remind myself that the rest of your fuckers are also going to die. Cheers me up to no end.
I laughed at this too, hehe, who knew talking about death could be so funny :p

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'm not sad about it. Everybody is going to die at some point after all. I'm not in the mood to hasten it any though and its not something that I tend to dwell on. It's a fact of life like the sky being blue, birds tweeting or people whining on the internet.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Eh. I know when it'll be, sort of (10~15 years at the latest), so I've had some time to come to terms with it. Sure, it's not great. It certainly does bother me sometimes, but I'm more or less over it.

That said, I have rearranged my life around it. Mostly ditching a great deal of any plans for that silly "future" thing most people apparently have. Almost everyone apparently gets one, so I just had to rebel, you know how kids my age are.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Nope. Live my life the way I wish, and live it to the fullest I can.

Death is inevitable. Why waste the rest of my time worrying about what will come regardless of what I do?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
there is nothing you can do about it freezing yourself is only postponing it I sort-off made peace with it its not something I,m looking forward to but I cant stop it