Are you tired of SJW?

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
Vault101 said:
Put it this way

All the bullshit behaviour I've seen? It hasn't come from the "feminazis" or the "SJW" (assuming thease types if people actually exist) it's come from people who throw around those terms...who use them without even know what the hell they're talking about
Here here. I'm tired of the phrase "Social Justice Warrior" because it's a lot like "Feminazi" in that it lets you know pretty quickly that the person using the term is projecting a lot of their own issues into the "discussion".

I'm not saying there are no people out there who would technically qualify as "feminazis". I'm just saying that 90% of the time that phrase is used, it tells you way more about the person using it than it does about the current state of feminism. By the same token, people who call Jim Sterling a "social justice warrior" are basically saying, "Please don't pay attention to anything I'm saying. I'd rather throw around a buzzword than deal with real issues."

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Mossberg Shotty said:
I understand that there are a lot of intolerant people out there, but they are now in the minority. You won.
Who exactly are the "you" you're talking to, and what do you think that person's/those people's goals are, exactly? Because if you're talking to me, I'd like to be able to say things like, "I don't see how 'realism' is a relevant defense of demanding Heimdall be cast as a white dude when in the movie we're talking about he is not a Norse god, but rather an alien who inspired legends of a fictionalized Norse god," or, "I do not consider Super Princess Peach to be a positive step forward for female game protagonists in general or for Peach in particular, since her mechanics are basically PMS powers," without people accusing me of censorship.

...Though I guess a case could be made that I'm mostly just opposed to the constant abuse and misuse of the word "censorship" at the hands of people who want to legitimize their rage by claiming a systematic attempt to deny their Constitutional rights when no such attempt exists.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
JimB said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
I understand that there are a lot of intolerant people out there, but they are now in the minority. You won.
Who exactly are the "you" you're talking to, and what do you think that person's/those people's goals are, exactly? Because if you're talking to me, I'd like to be able to say things like, "I don't see how 'realism' is a relevant defense of demanding Heimdall be cast as a white dude when in the movie we're talking about he is not a Norse god, but rather an alien who inspired legends of a fictionalized Norse god," or, "I do not consider Super Princess Peach to be a positive step forward for female game protagonists in general or for Peach in particular, since her mechanics are basically PMS powers," without people accusing me of censorship.

...Though I guess a case could be made that I'm mostly just opposed to the constant abuse and misuse of the word "censorship" at the hands of people who want to legitimize their rage by claiming a systematic attempt to deny their Constitutional rights when no such attempt exists.
Naturally I was talking to the intolerant people there, and obviously they won because anything posted on this site that can come across as even slightly insensitive to some subculture automatically gets shamed into never speaking again. For the record, I have no fucking idea what you're talking about when it comes to censorship, I oppose it in all it's forms. Speaking of the Thor movies, I think it's great that a black gentleman can play a Norce God, if my memory serves, he did a pretty good job. As far as Princess Peach, I haven't even played a Mario Game since the 90's but thank you for bringing up every straw man argument you could come up with, those shows great resolve to ***** about the inconsequential rather than talk about the points I actually brought up.

As far as misusing the term "SJW" why don't you actually read some of my previous posts rather than jumping to bullshit conclusions? Can you do that? Do you think you can actually manage such a thing for once instead of jumping to foregone conclusions?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Mossberg Shotty said:
Naturally I was talking to the intolerant people there.
Okay.

Mossberg Shotty said:
Obviously they won because anything posted on this site that can come across as even slightly insensitive to some subculture automatically gets shamed into never speaking again.
You and I have had very different experiences in this community.

Mossberg Shotty said:
For the record, I have no fucking idea what you're talking about when it comes to censorship.
Go to any page of any thread in which feminism or diversity are discussed, and do a Ctrl+F search for "censor." The word will probably show up, and the person saying it has at least a ninety percent chance of having misused it.

Mossberg Shotty said:
Thank you for bringing up every straw man argument you could come up with. Those show great resolve to ***** about the inconsequential rather than talk about the points I actually brought up.
What are you talking about, straw man? Do you think I'm accusing you of having done something? Because I didn't. I am not willing to swear I've ever even seen you before today.

Mossberg Shotty said:
As far as misusing the term "SJW" why don't you actually read some of my previous posts rather than jumping to bullshit conclusions? Can you do that?
What conclusions have I jumped to? What are you even talking about? You mentioned the goals of a group I may or may not belong to, so I told you what my goals are.

Incidentally, I do take ironic amusement in noting that you plead for civility yet are cursing, dismissing, and demanding at seemingly no provocation.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mossberg Shotty said:
Vault101 said:
Put it this way

All the bullshit behaviour I've seen? It hasn't come from the "feminazis" or the "SJW" (assuming thease types if people actually exist) it's come from people who throw around those terms...who use them without even know what the hell they're talking about

Quite frankly "gamers" deserve all the criticism they get
Please tell me you're not questioning whether these people actually exist? You're either blind or a fool if you don't see what's going on. Can you not see that I'm trying to be impartial to both sides? I realize that the term SJW gets thrown around more often than is fair, but open your eyes for a second. I see discrimination and hatred every day. I've had more rednecks than I can count call me a ****** and a liberal for sticking up for such people, then I turn around and get attacked by people on the internet because my beliefs don't completely line up with theirs.

And I'm not talking about "gamer's" I never even brought that up. I'm talking about people. You do know what those are, right?
They do exist...in their particular tumblr and r/ SRS spaces

They do not exist behined some conspiracy with enough power and resources to destroy videogames as some people think they do

Games are not exempt from criticism anymore than films or TV

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
I highly doubt anyone is really offended that easily. Even if you were to take such offenses at face value, the people whom seem to be offended would simply implode and chemically combust because general life would then offend them.

When you read that some group or person has become " offended" is really a political tool to persuade a ruling body of government to mandate a change in behavior towards a person, place, group, or thing --- whether it is a brand new law or some erroneous regulation. We are coming to a point where its the new McCarthyism. When regulation after regulation piles up, the offended will often times see themselves entrapped in the said offense, and therefore the unintended consequence is no one has any rights to say anything because they inadvertently traded another liberty for strict authoritarianism.

I mean... who is really liberal and whom isn't these days? The man(Woman) whom shouts the other man(woman) down and mandates that he or she follows X or the person that dares to question the entire system itself yet excepts the right of anyone to voice their opposition?

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
JimB said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
Okay.
Ya know, like you?
JimB said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
Okay.

Mossberg Shotty said:
Obviously they won because anything posted on this site that can come across as even slightly insensitive to some subculture automatically gets shamed into never speaking again.
You and I have had very different experiences in this community.
Yea, If you care to notice, I'm not disputing that. I'm already tired of copy-pasting so I'll just respond to your points right here. First off, I'm not talking about the misuse of hot topic words like "SJW" or "Feminist" or the like. If you had bothered to read my previous posts you would see that I consider them both overused and misused.

And I mean strawman in the sense of someone bringing up something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand that backs up their point? You know, when someone just wants to vomit their blanket social beliefs where they don't belong? Yea that's what I'm referring to.

And in what world does swearing contradict the point I'm trying to make? I guess I'm fuckin' sorry you don't see what the fucking point of this is. I don't let obscenities get in the way of a good discussion, unlike you who it seems would use any excuse to use sensationalism rather than facts to argue heir point.

LeQuack_Is_Back

May 25, 2009
It is a bit sad, when you see people that are theoretically for tolerating all types say "Except you. You don't agree with us. Die in a fire."

OP, I certainly know how you feel. My own beliefs are an odd jumble that would catch me plenty of flak from both sides if I ever risked voicing them.

ilexuki

Apr 14, 2012
the thing about sjw is it's not really about social justice, it's about getting attention. they wait around for anything that can possibly be perceived as sexist,racist,etc, then ***** about it to demonstrate how much more progressive they are than everyone else.

white knighting on the other hand comes in two forms, white knighting because there is a girl involved and you think you'll get boobs, and corporate white knighting.

corporate white knighting is kinda like rabid fanboyism but without the blind loyalty.you'll see these guys make threads or post defending a company shitting on their customers, as if they were on the payroll. my only conclusion as to why someone would support, and defend a company taking dumps on them with no fucks given, is that they want to watch the world burn, and getting responses to their madness, gives them more pleasure than not being covered in shit.

so yea, people don't like sjw's, or whiteknights, because they are phonies,the pretend to give a shit, but really they just want the attention that comes with making or bring up controversial topics...or they just want to see boobs(they won't)

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I don't know what OP being liberal has to do with anything. I live in one of the most liberal cities in the country, and holy shit, liberal extremists are every bit as bad/censoring/closed minded as they accuse conservatives/republicans of being.

I mostly just keep my head down and usually avoid commenting on topics are too much of a hot button issue at the moment, but if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know what most of these newfangled buzzwords are. Hell, I only heard the term here on the Escapist.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Am I tired of the imaginary straw man SJW that people made up to feel like they're the victims of something? No, not really. They're imaginary so I can't really feel tired of them now can I.

Am I tired of people bringing up SJW without cause or need and pretending they're the worst thing ever to strike the world of gaming in a transparent attempt to shame into silence anyone who disagrees with them? Well, yeah. It's nothing more than "political correctness" given a newer, edgier name despite not being any more real.
They're imaginary? In the sense that they only exist online? Either way you're wrong because they exist in the physical plane and this one. So yes, you can feel tired of them, that's a totally legitimate thing to feel.

Without cause or need, that's a sentence that greatly intrigues me. At what point do you think a need should be felt for pointing out hypocrisy? Every day I wade through people telling me that nobody should ever discriminate against anybody (which I don't even disagree with) and turn around and call me a bigot because my beliefs don't match up 100%.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I guess you could say that. The thing that irks me really though is the whole inclusive and sensitive to the point of aggression mentality displayed by Tumbler visitors and so called "SJWs". I don't understand how anyone could really need to be warned of "triggers" or feel so strongly about absolute equality, correct pronouns, etc that they need to shout down anyone who dares to offer an opposing opinion. The real world doesn't operate like the internet. If you can't handle a little rudeness from a stranger online how could you possibly survive a situation in the real world where a person who's actually in the room voices an opinion you don't agree with or find offensive? It is A-O-Fucking-Kay to believe something different than the person next to you. Not everything needs to become a crusade for justice.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
A lot of people I've seen on here seem to have this idea that 'SJW' is a means to shut up anyone with an opinion, but I've always interpreted it differently.

To me, a 'social justice warrior' is someone who is extraordinarily pretentious, and seems to believe that every opinion they give is worth its weight in gold and is some sort of revelation. The kind of people who roll their eyes and say things like "well I don't expect YOU to understand", or who can't have an iota of fun because damn near everything has to become some sort of issue related to politics or inequality or social justice (hence the name).

I know plenty of people with strong opinions related to politics, social justice, equality, etc., but that doesn't automatically make them a "SJW". That doesn't mean they need to go out of their way and really rack their brains to find _________ism in every game and media they come across.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
LeQuack_Is_Back said:
It is a bit sad, when you see people that are theoretically for tolerating all types say "Except you. You don't agree with us. Die in a fire."

OP, I certainly know how you feel. My own beliefs are an odd jumble that would catch me plenty of flak from both sides if I ever risked voicing them.
That's a large part of why I made this thread. I fancy myself a sort of eclectic gentleman, and I made this thread in the sincere hope that people wouldn't be afraid to talk about what they believe in, especially if it goes against the grain.

Speak your mind, good sir.
Gennadios said:
I don't know what OP being liberal has to do with anything. I live in one of the most liberal cities in the country, and holy shit, liberal extremists are every bit as bad/censoring/closed minded as they accuse conservatives/republicans of being.

I mostly just keep my head down and usually avoid commenting on topics are too much of a hot button issue at the moment, but if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know what most of these newfangled buzzwords are. Hell, I only heard the term here on the Escapist.
I guess I mention being liberal a lot because I live in one of the most infamously conservative states in the world. I stand up to the norm here ( the norm being that any man who likes other men is a horrible person to be burnt at the stake) and I still get called a bigot for not agreeing with the keyboard warriors who have the popular vote. It doesn't matter how many black eyes or scars I've received in defending my fellow man/woman, I still get labeled an intolerant douchebag if I say something that the popular feminist of the moment disagrees with.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Shanicus said:
God no, I'm not tired of SJW's at all.
I'm tired of the bitchy, whiny, pathetic mewling of a sub-set of gamers who are so terrified of cooties that they feel the degenerate need to shout and scream at anything that has both a vagina and autonomy. The impotent little shits who start crying 'unfair!' when people just TALK about having a non-white or non-male character in a video game, whinging as loud as they can that 'it WURRUN'T FIT DA STURRY', with attempts to claim that a white man is somehow relevant to a story that involves fantasy and sci-fi elements so extreme J.R.R Tolkien and Isaac Asimov are going 'Dude, calm that shit down there'.
The sub-set that cries 'Artistic Integrity' for a character to remain White and Male, but condemns it as horrendous pandering to a minority for having a woman or PoC in a semi-relevant position in a game.
Could you provide some examples of this? Because I've honestly never seen anything like that.

Anyway, a lot of people I've seen on here seem to have this idea that 'SJW' is a means to shut up anyone with an opinion, but I've always interpreted it differently.

To me, a 'social justice warrior' is someone who is extraordinarily pretentious, and seems to believe that every opinion they give is worth its weight in gold and is some sort of revelation. The kind of people who roll their eyes and say things like "well I don't expect YOU to understand", or who can't have an iota of fun because damn near everything has to become some sort of issue related to politics or inequality or social justice (hence the name).

I know plenty of people with strong opinions related to politics, social justice, equality, etc., but that doesn't automatically make them a "SJW". That doesn't mean they need to go out of their way and really rack their brains to find _________ism in every game and media they come across.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Frankly there are a lot of people who would get no exercise at all if not for all the conniption fits they throw, and yes, I'm very tired of those people.

I'm tired of every vaguely negative depiction of a black character being met with cries of "whaaa that's racist".

I'm tired of every vaguely sexualised depiction of a female character being met with cries of "whaaaa that's sexist".

I'm tired of every game with a heterosexual white male protagonist being met with cries of "whaaa brown haired straight white guy" when that's the largest demographic it's being sold to.

I'm tired of people whining there are not enough coloured/gay/female protagonists, if you want that change then either support games with those protagonists or make one yourself instead of being an entitled whining sook.