Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
This is simply awesome! I must admit that my game budget is quite stretched these days, so I considered pirating Arkham Asylum. But I just have to support this kind of DRM, which makes me smile, as opposed to the ones that fucks up my PC when I install my legally bought game.

As a side-note, I am sure there will be a workaround and or fix for the pirate versions of the game in a week or two, which I could have waited for if I wanted to, but their DRM creativity have won me over.

ukslim

Sep 27, 2007
The problem with all DRM is when it prevents you from doing something you should be entitled to. For example, buy a game and play it on more than one computer (at different times).

The problem with this kind of *sneaky* DRM, is that you might be trying to do such a legitimate thing, only to find the game is unplayable after wasting lots of time on it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
scotth266 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
scotth266 said:
I have to say that this is quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard of. Good work on the part of Rocksteady.

Next step: "leaking" a "cracked" version of a game on the net, which turns out to be a demo that shuts down 20 minutes in to say: "Insert Credit To Continue" or "You are NOT morally superior."
"Insert Credit to Continue" Would be perfect.

No! "The police are on their way". Oh my god, if I could record their reaction...
Not to mention the few people drunk enough to wonder: "Where do I stick in the quarter?"
Priceless.

[small]I think...[/small]

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Terramax said:
It shouldn't take long for a pirate to re-program it to include all the original moves.

Not that I honestly care too much. I played the demo. It sucked. If anyone lacks a moral code, it's Eidos for releasing such an un-enjoyable pile of rubble.
Hmmm interesting so what you are saying is a game publisher has no moral code if they create or publish a game that you do not like. Personally I enjoy this game and judging by the reviews and other peoples comments across many sites I am not the only one. Would you care to elaborate on how they lack morals by making said game that has many people that like it? I may be able to see what you are saying if the game was horribly glitchy, broken, or had something that caused the game to be unplayable for paying customers and they new about it and still released it. But on my play-throughs I have not seen much if any frame rate drops or clipping issues or anything like that the game is well pollished (maybe not perfect but well polished).

As for the original post this has to be one of the coolest copy protection schemes ever. It is too bad we need systems like this. If everyone that pirates would just learn to pay for the games DRM and such would not be an issue.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Hehehe, they always put one of those gameplay limiters on the "leaked weeks before" promotional extended demos.
Assassin's Creed ring any bells?

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
You know what would rock? If instead of gimping Batman they replaced him with Rick Astley for the pirated version.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa. If you pirate that game you get a character who can't do half of anything? Okay that's hilarious! xD Kudos to them! EA should take a page from their book and employ the same use!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ahh to bad they should have gave him pink tights as well lol. That is brilliant.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
Doesn't anyone here remember the Earthbound anti-piracy measures? That game froze and deleted all your save game files in the middle of the final boss battle if it detected itself to be a pirated version. Surely that was the greatest/most evil DRM.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Littaly said:
You know what would rock? If instead of gimping Batman they replaced him with Rick Astley for the pirated version.
Rick Rolling your way through the Joker's henchmen. I like it already!

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Hmmm. If heaven is not populated by people who came up with this kind of counter-measure, I really do not want to die. That was priceless. Truly priceless. Rocksteady knows how to pack a punch both game-wise and pirate wise. Very very well done fellows. Now find a way so that this work of art of a DRM will NOT GET BYPASSED.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
saikanoto said:
Doesn't anyone here remember the Earthbound anti-piracy measures? That game froze and deleted all your save game files in the middle of the final boss battle if it detected itself to be a pirated version. Surely that was the greatest/most evil DRM.
Unfortunately, those of us in Europe never had the chance to see it, as the Mother series has NEVER been released here. But it sounds awesome...and gets me worried about my Earthbound ROM image.