Armored Core 6 gameplay finally revealed.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I see, so it is different than the old ones. I wonder if they felt pressure because of the...uh...passionate souls community so they made it more like those games.
Armored Core's gameplay did significantly evolve over various iterations anyway, mostly in terms of how fast, free, and open the gameplay was, so the earlier PS1 installments were pretty slow and mostly ground bound while Armored Core: For Answer is insanely fast and almost entirely airborne.

Anything you're willing to share about the story/lore or point me to a good source on the subject?
Each numbered Armored Core from Armored Core 3 onwards is set in a new continuity, and the same will apply to Armored Core VI. (Subtitled spinoffs are in the same continuity as preceding numbered entries, and early ones even allowed you to carry your save across between games.) Common elements between them are post-apocalyptic settings dominated by megacorporations which engage in conflict using highly skilled mercenary pilots such as yourself as proxies.

Reactions: Nox

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
Armored Core's gameplay did significantly evolve over various iterations anyway, mostly in terms of how fast, free, and open the gameplay was, so the earlier PS1 installments were pretty slow and mostly ground bound while Armored Core: For Answer is insanely fast and almost entirely airborne.

Each numbered Armored Core from Armored Core 3 onwards is set in a new continuity, and the same will apply to Armored Core VI. (Subtitled spinoffs are in the same continuity as preceding numbered entries, and early ones even allowed you to carry your save across between games.) Common elements between them are post-apocalyptic settings dominated by megacorporations which engage in conflict using highly skilled mercenary pilots such as yourself as proxies.
I love Miyazaki so I'll give anything he touches a go. Although apparently he's not at the helm this time, the bloke who did Sekiro is. Which I also liked, but more from the gameplay side of things.

I enjoy the megacorp plot. Well, I did more before it came to realize in the real world. But, this being a From game, I'll assume there's more to it than that.

I look forward to giving it a go...eventually. Always best to wait for a few mods with From games, in my experience.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Hype... is.... real!

By the time this comes out I'll be in the mood to toss all other games and entertainment aside and focus on deep challenging gameplay and build optimization kind of nerdery.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There's something to be said for the shift in corporate politics going from "celebrated if amoral celebrity mercenaries" to "interchangeable pseudo-anonymous meat cogs" and none of it is good.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You have to scroll to like halfway through to actually see the goods in this video but they are some good goods:

The part where they take down a "leg" looks so epic, I hope there are lots of things like that where the mechanics of the game get put in interesting contexts.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You have to scroll to like halfway through to actually see the goods in this video but they are some good goods:

The part where they take down a "leg" looks so epic, I hope there are lots of things like that where the mechanics of the game get put in interesting contexts.
Finally some UI! Seems like reloading weapon is back in, including manual reload. There's a "repair: X", so I'm guessing that's the equivalent to estus flask, which wasn't in previous AC game. Energy recharge seems incredibly fast, hopefully that was just artificially increased for the demo cause otherwise its essentially pointless. They added a stagger gauge, there doesn't seem to be the equivalent for player. Mission briefing are in, yay! Seems like for answer giant mech are back in.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finally some UI! Seems like reloading weapon is back in, including manual reload. There's a "repair: X", so I'm guessing that's the equivalent to estus flask, which wasn't in previous AC game. Energy recharge seems incredibly fast, hopefully that was just artificially increased for the demo cause otherwise its essentially pointless. They added a stagger gauge, there doesn't seem to be the equivalent for player. Mission briefing are in, yay! Seems like for answer giant mech are back in.
The "estus flask" thing i'm pretty sure is true because during the boss fight the narrator says "2 repair kits left" or something like that.
The energy recharge speed is related to one's build, like it's some property of some mech part and part of the build is balancing that versus other things, like tanky builds will have slower recharge etc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

You can go to the extra settings and copy paste the time stamp. I went ahead and did it for you.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The "estus flask" thing i'm pretty sure is true because during the boss fight the narrator says "2 repair kits left" or something like that.
The energy recharge speed is related to one's build, like it's some property of some mech part and part of the build is balancing that versus other things, like tanky builds will have slower recharge etc.
They used different build troughout the demo and all of them had near instant energy recharge the second they hit the ground, which is pretty lame since that means energy management isn't really a thing.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
You can go to the extra settings and copy paste the time stamp. I went ahead and did it for you.

Man, it's such a contrast to the likes of souls games. TBH I thought Fromsoftware was gonna keep making souls games, and it's kinda amazing for them to try something different for the first time in a long time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man, it's such a contrast to the likes of souls games. TBH I thought Fromsoftware was gonna keep making souls games, and it's kinda amazing for them to try something different for the first time in a long time.
I have my concerns too of course, but when I saw that very first teaser trailer last year. I had a feeling that FS knew what they were doing.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Exactly the reason for my hype. After Elden Ring wore me down, I declared I was done with FS and now here this is. So cool.

Too bad I have meeting or I'd watch the vids y'all are posting too!

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Mr. Fextralife's closing point there about graphics and engine is interesting. He is basically calling out From's continued reliance on the same engine for a while and worried how it would look compared to the slate of hyped up new games coming out. We shall see what we shall see..

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Mr. Fextralife's closing point there about graphics and engine is interesting. He is basically calling out From's continued reliance on the same engine for a while and worried how it would look compared to the slate of hyped up new games coming out. We shall see what we shall see..
I'm crossing my fingers my PS4 Pro will be able to do 60FPS. I unfortunately won't be able to get a PS5 as I wanted to before this game launches, so I'll have to hope my PS4 Pro can keep up with the performance I want. I don't mind the graphics not being the top level I can get, or the resolution. I just want smooth gameplay

Reactions: BrawlMan