Armored Core 6 gameplay finally revealed.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
You mean the sea spider boss?

Hmm, haven't got to that boss yet, but from all the clips I've seen so far, I think it has something to do with Balteus having an energy shield. Don't get me wrong, it still looks very annoying, but with Balteus I was constantly forced to keep attacking to first break the energy shield and then to do the actual damage before the shield came back on. And this is already on top of trying to dodging its attacks. It also probably has to do with you have to fight a miniboss before Balteus, and people might be burnted out from fighting that.

With spider, it very least doesn't have that. Kinda looking forward to fighting this thing.

I feel one thing to remember is that with training missions you get free parts, arena gives you OS chips for passive buffs, and everytime you die in missions you can swap out your parts to try different builds.
Just beaten the sea spider boss last night, and it only took me two tries. It's definitely easier than Balteus, but I think it has to do with the fact that you get a lot more unlocks by this point and sea spider doesn't have the pulse shield. Also, its attacks are more telegraphed and easier to dodge than the missile barrage from Balteus. I'd say once you get past Balteus, the game becomes more enjoyable.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Trying again -

Idk if it’s more annoying that “-“ is put in front of embed codes, or that it’s missed when double tapping to highlight them on iPhone.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
A lot of data and systematically analysed stats delivered in a satisfying and soothing manner.
I'll remember this video for when I get the game for $30 in a year or so.

(eta, deleted, posted same vid as hansel above)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hit the first mission that I would classify as "cheap shit". You have to fight an AC at the same time as a a bunch of weak target, the real problem is the targeting system doesn't prioritize the AC, so most of the time your attack just hit the crap and waste your bullet and time. Worse is that the targeting system love to untarget the AC right as they stagger. There is technically a way to focus on one unit specifically, but the second you lose sight of them it reset and just getting it to stick to the right target in the first place is a nightmare. I hate playing game and feeling like my main adversary is the control rather than the actual enemy.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Finished 2/3 endings at the moment but don't particularly feel like jumping right back in a 3rd time so I'll stop here for now.

My opinion on it is not too different from Zechs from a few page back. While I'm happy its a real armored core game and had a blast playing it, I would put it toward the bottom of the franchise. Build variety feel extremely limited for a few reason, chief among them is the staggered mechanic that I consider to be a massive blunder. It really narrow your options, you need something that does a ton of damage in a burst to trigger the stagger without giving enough time to recover, and a ton of weapon just can't do that and so are just useless junk. Also the ricochet system means you need to be right up in the enemy face to do any real damage, which the game clearly knew since there's almost no range option. Being able to fire both shoulders and hand weapons at once is great in theory, but when combined with stagger means you want to have them all fire at the same time as much as possible, which further reduce your build choices.

On top of that the game takes way too long to give you gear choice, its cool that they kept parts for NG+ and NG++, but it doesn't justify starting with an incredibly bare selection. Older game would front load original weapon/parts, and toward the end of the game (or NG+) would start giving you re-skin of parts with altered stats, which would have been much preferable to starting with something like 4 choices for some pieces.

Story wise AC game were never really good, but previously you were just a nameless mercenary, which meant you could make up your own reason for why your going along with the plot, and the game often had character question the MC on there motivation. But here we're some kind of zombie controlled by Walter or something which makes it needlessly unclear how much agency we even have. I also don't really get the story and there's often informations that seem to contradict each others. This works in a soul game where item description double as lore dumb and you can tell a lot of the story trough environment, but there's nothing like that here so its just confusing for its own sake.

I do really like some QoL changes, being able to test the AC and quickly change piece on the fly is amazing and if they make a sequel with good build variety it would be incredibly useful. Having a little movie for every weapon is also really great. Restarting on checkpoint is also nice since it means you don't end up having to redo large section of every missions, although I don't think they should have rested your health/ammo. Another annoyance is not getting ranked when you play mission trough the campaign, I probably already S ranked most of them on the second playtrough but I would still need to replay them again to actually get it.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I finished up the entire game today, all missions clear.
I had a blast with it, honestly. It had its flaws of course, but overall, despite frustrating moments, it was a satisfying game and defeating a really challenging boss felt good. I can see the complaints about the bosses not feeling quite right for the game (and some of them were definitely a little insane), but I'll be honest... these boss encounters were more fun than any other boss I'd gone up against in past AC games. AC6's gameplay made them much more exciting, at least to me personally. With some tweaking to the gameplay formula they have now created, I bet AC7 could be absolutely incredible, and I hope that they go for it. While I wish there was more of AC6 (like in available parts, customization depth, some more story maybe), but what we got was well beyond what I expected for a return to a series that's been dormant for this long. It kept adding more when I thought it would've slowed down and stopped. It wasn't all a hit, but I think it did a good job re-establishing itself as a series.

I tell ya though... it really tested my slowly aging reflexes. I could tell that I wasn't reacting in a way I knew I used to be able to with really difficult games. My mind was blanking on inputs, confusing them, or making mistakes I knew I was well beyond and yet kept doing. By the time I made some controller mapping adjustments and NG+ rolled around I was past the worst of it, and on NG++ it was all a matter of just playing better. This game challenged me though, the most a game has in quite awhile

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
But when you're working around the weak points of the game's mechanics (zooming around off camera everwhere) instead of, say, enemy strong vs weak points or different kinds of weapons (energy vs kinetic etc), then that's just super lame.

So I played a bit more, did the arenas which are 1:1 fights and more zipping around off-camera, played the area that was in the trailers and demo and that is a lot of fun, then another boss with big arms that go off camera, and you know what...
Curious question... It's probably dumb and obvious, but I just wanna be sure, hopefully you recall since it's been a hot minute.
Did you activate target lock during these fights?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Curious question... It's probably dumb and obvious, but I just wanna be sure, hopefully you recall since it's been a hot minute.
Did you activate target lock during these fights?
yes. It’s pushing the camera joystick. I tried with and without, and i also had no problem with target lock outside of boss fightd

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
yes. It’s pushing the camera joystick. I tried with and without, and i also had no problem with target lock outside of boss fightd
Another question, did you increase the camera sensitivity?

I had left the camera sensitivity at default until I got to Balteus, but kept having trouble keeping him in frame while dodging missiles. Increasing the camera to the max speed was a little jarring at first, but then after getting used to it after about 15 minutes it was a hugely useful change.

It makes it much easier to track fast moving enemies when you can whip the camera around at the same speed they're moving, and you don't end up losing anything in the way of precision since the game auto-locks for you anyway. I went from feeling like the camera was extremely limiting to suddenly feeling like it wasn't a problem at all.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Another question, did you increase the camera sensitivity?

I had left the camera sensitivity at default until I got to Balteus, but kept having trouble keeping him in frame while dodging missiles. Increasing the camera to the max speed was a little jarring at first, but then after getting used to it after about 15 minutes it was a hugely useful change.

It makes it much easier to track fast moving enemies when you can whip the camera around at the same speed they're moving, and you don't end up losing anything in the way of precision since the game auto-locks for you anyway. I went from feeling like the camera was extremely limiting to suddenly feeling like it wasn't a problem at all.
no i didn’t try that but at this point i don’t care anymore. If i have to fiddle with settings in order to slightly reduce eye strain, headache and high blood pressure while chasing around some stupid boss fight than the game is not worth playing.

as i said, i did actually defeat Balteus, and felt no joy in it. Better then to play games that are fair and fun

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Pinned by Zullie the Witch
@ZullietheWitch 6 hours ago

As you can probably tell, one of the few modern FromSoftware titles that isn't on some form of Dantelion is Dark Souls II, which probably did a lot to make sure they keep using Dantelion for a long time. A big part of the tragedy of Dark Souls II's development was its ambition, and that includes the team trying to make a game that was bigger than their previous titles while simultaneously having to learn the new engine.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So I finished the NG run.

I know there are NG+ and NG++, but I just can't find the energy to keep going.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
A big patch came out that slightly nerfs Balteus (the boss I actually beat lol) and makes some weapons a bit more powerful or something. It's not enough to get me back (I actually loaded up the game to try to get into it again, sighed, and turned it off) but fyi for those still playing or looking to get into it.