(As we all know) Women are not new to gaming.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
I just think the term has become misused much like 'strawman'.

I just want to say that I played tf2 co op with a couple of really nice guys (I didn't know beforehand) this morning it was cool and cheered me up about this whole business.

These topics have made me realise i need to be a bit more vocal if guys are going to get used to girls.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Brainpaint said:
And there was somebody that said women are less competitive than men?
Watch two sisters play Crash Team Racing. You're DEAD WRONG! Lol.
I'm pretty sure Mario Party has caused many violent deaths in both sexes. :p
Mario Party is for people who still want to be friends afterwards. Dokapon Kingdom is for when you never want to speak to each other again (the game even advertises itself as killing friendships). It's like Mario Party with less minigames and more PvP and backstabbing. Oh, but is there more backstabbing.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Mick Golden Blood said:
It's the same thing as the term "Gold Digger". Women(on very rare occassions, men too I would imagine) who only marry to divorce and take a large portion of a wealthier man's wealth.
This, right here (combined with a certain thing that happened on a plane), made me think of a good analogy to the whole "fake girl gamer" thing. The "pedophile" thing[footnote]http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/17112006/Virgin_Airline_review_after_pedophile_complaint[/footnote][footnote]http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/141907/pedophile_policies_on_airplanes_may[/footnote][footnote]http://www.scottsdalemlsupdate.com/2012/06/omar-amin-grandfather-kicked-out-of-barnes-noble-childrens/[/footnote]. Put simply, that a male around unrelated (or not apparently related) children is automatically a pedophile, because after all, why else would a guy be around children?

In both the "fake gamer girl" and "pedophile" cases, the odds are pretty firmly against it being the case, but they do unfortunately exist, and are enough a part of the zeitgeist that they get overestimated.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
*Kicks and punches her way through a wall*

SUP

Been playing since I was 3 in 1984, I get really angry with some boys telling me that I'm invading their hobby. So please don't do that. Also I have been called 'lesbian' and suchlike from guys for liking games (mostly in school). So it's no wonder some girls kept it a secret.

I spent £345 on games last month (I fully accept I have a problem.)

Water Tribe out.

I hereby apologize for certain elements of my gender. "Invading their hobby" fucking christ.

345 pounds is a lot though. Acceptance is the first stage to solving the problem I guess.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Ekonk said:
But it was a steam sale and it was all so shiny :3 Also guild wars 2 and PC Dark Souls!

Some guy posted a youtube video that basically has men commenting on it with things like this:

Now that this community is growing, entitled women are barging in & demanding that things be changed to their liking. Sadly, many men are bowing before their vaginas & catering to them, but may other men & women aren't, & it's caused a major war that's gone for over a year.

Nothing's even happened to any of these women, but they keep crying about sexism & misogyny, always playing the victims. Anyone that disagrees with them is a misogynist now, but people are starting to wake up to their ploy.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Ekonk said:
But it was a steam sale and it was all so shiny :3 Also guild wars 2 and PC Dark Souls!

Some guy posted a youtube video that basically has men commenting on it with things like this:

Now that this community is growing, entitled women are barging in & demanding that things be changed to their liking. Sadly, many men are bowing before their vaginas & catering to them, but may other men & women aren't, & it's caused a major war that's gone for over a year.

Nothing's even happened to any of these women, but they keep crying about sexism & misogyny, always playing the victims. Anyone that disagrees with them is a misogynist now, but people are starting to wake up to their ploy.
I'm not paranoid. Those Vaginas are really out to get me.

*hides under bed with tinfoil hat*

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
How is this thread still alive? Hasn't logic won the day yet?

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Fappy said:
Logic rarely sways the unreasonable. The OP merely points out the logical position that women have engaged in gaming since its inception, which is factually provable. The remaining points brought up since then are a matter of some debate as the evidence is often misrepresented if any is provided at all. I would actually prefer each individual issue get it's own thread, but I highly doubt the Escapist is capable or willing to have that level of debate.

I suggest poker; 7 card stud, nothing wild, aces high.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Oh and the ultimate counter to Tippy's argument http://www.geekgirlcon.com buh buh if 40% of women weren't gamers then how does this exist it must be MAGICKS!
OMG, thank you for that site. No idea how I haven't seen it before.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Mick Golden Blood said:
Fappy said:

...What DO they taste like?
Bitter. Very, very bitter.

:(

Sometimes the Escapist displays some logic!

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
I just think the term has become misused much like 'strawman'.

I just want to say that I played tf2 co op with a couple of really nice guys (I didn't know beforehand) this morning it was cool and cheered me up about this whole business.

These topics have made me realise i need to be a bit more vocal if guys are going to get used to girls.
The same for me, and my fiance is trying to get me to be more vocal in parties, but I instantly get this sinking feeling of dread, like something will happen. I used to completely avoid online gaming in general after I had to deal with a few extremely severe sexists. Now I have a group of friends I game with, slowly branching out. So far, things are a lot more positive then they were a few years ago.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
AngelBlackChaos said:
Yeah for me it's the fact that if I reveal myself as a woman I have to do 3x as well because otherwise I'm scared they will judge me harshly. That makes it hard to start new games as of course you aren't going to be awesome straight away.

I just noticed that a lot of people have Kirby badges going on, this pleases me.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
AngelBlackChaos said:
Yeah for me it's the fact that if I reveal myself as a woman I have to do 3x as well because otherwise I'm scared they will judge me harshly. That makes it hard to start new games as of course you aren't going to be awesome straight away.

I just noticed that a lot of people have Kirby badges going on, this pleases me.
The Kirby badge is awesome.

OMNOMNOMNOM!

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
2 things start the game an don't reveal your gender till your woopin ass. And two. Get tough. Get better at making comebacks. Ignore and don't let the opinions of others bother you cause your not supposed to be that sensitive anyway. One should be able to deal with online trolls easier because the real world is far more harsh .

AngelBlackChaos said: