(As we all know) Women are not new to gaming.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Boudica said:
Easton Dark said:
Ragsnstitches said:
I'm not paranoid. Those Vaginas are really out to get me.
Doesn't sound like a bad problem to have to be honest.
Depends on the vagina.

If you know what I mean.
I'm afraid I don't.

Please, enlighten me to the danger of these "vaginas". Are we talking level 4 armageddon super weapon vaginas?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Boudica said:
We're talking about blue waffles. Horrible, horrible... horrible blue waffles.
Oh... well, I guess I'd prefer women not to attack me with their vaginas waffles at all to be honest. I'd much prefer they attack me with that other thing. Their french toasts, if you will.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
You know what's worse than a trend of accusing women of 'recently invading' the gaming community? People who keep focusing on gender Ad nauseum. You do realize that all of this discussion, meta-discussion and just plain *focusing* on immaterial is what keeps stereotypes and inequality fresh?

Hey guys: women. Females. Girl gamers. What do you think? Girls. Gaming. It's controversial. Discuss.

Master Blaster would barge in and declare *Embargo on!*

Sadly people just enjoy circular arguments and logic pissing contests. Doesn't work so well when you're laying down, everyone.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
AgedGrunt said:
Sadly people just enjoy circular arguments and logic pissing contests. Doesn't work so well when you're laying down, everyone.
This thread has been a lot of things, but not circular. I've somehow made friends with 2 people I've gotten into moderately angry quote wars with.

I think it's time for the adventure to end though. I was horrified to wake up with the 'On Fire' Badge.

The thread can have a very peaceful conclusion. Let it die happy peeps. :]

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Easton Dark said:
Ragsnstitches said:
You clearly aren't aware of Vagina Dentata. Save yourself a google search, it can be pretty terrifying to see with safe search off D:)

Here is a substitute image to give an idea of the horror:

This is the Vagina Conspiracy... they want to rule the world!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
Easton Dark said:
Ragsnstitches said:
You clearly aren't aware of Vagina Dentata. Save yourself a google search, it can be pretty terrifying to see with safe search off D:)

Here is a substitute image to give an idea of the horror:

This is the Vagina Conspiracy... they want to rule the world!
Once you have seen shitting dick nipples, safe search seems like a lame joke. I always have it off, just like I don't have any antivirus software and still have a functioning computer years on, mwahahaha.

Hmm... Vagina conspiracy sounds like a term that those misogynist gamers would use.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
TheKasp said:
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
Die Kürzung!
What point do you mean? From now on I am able to answer back regulary and since the thread is still going! :D
Two actually (just realized this), to make a tangent of mine.

Points are in bold.

TheKasp said:
But jokes and TSC aside: I think in the future topics we need to clarify what kind of people we are talking about. The batshit crazy feminist stereotype which hates all kind of depiction of female sexuality and, as a doublestandard, accepts any kind of depiction male sexuality? Or the normal gamer-gal who might be put off of games where the whole female cast can be summarized as "BOOBIES!" and where the whole advertisement consists of exactly that?

I think it would make this kind of discussions way more pleasing for everyone.
I would argue that it is important when criticising characters/works on the grounds of sexism, to distinguish between criticism of the author(s) and criticism of the actual character/work. Basically to identify whenether the problem lies in a sexist tendency of the author(s) or in the context of the work. To illustrate the difference:

Criticism A: Freaklund AB has repeatedly produced games and shows where the female characters are far less developed in relation to the male ones.

Criticism B: The female characters in this particular game/show (produced by Freaklund AB) are depicted as needy and insecure, or bitchy and flighty, in spirit of the outdated Good girl/Bad girl dynamic, with little to no exception.

In the former case the problem lies very likely with the author(s), and if they change, or are forced to change the problem would change too (for the better or for the worse would be up for discussion). To make one or two shows out of ten that have very underdeveloped female characters can be seen as a coincidence, to make 5-6 out of ten like that looks like a pattern. In the latter case it is the work itself that has unfortunate implications, and it would have those regardless of which author made it.

And finally just to rip you off: I believe framing it like this would make these kind of discussions way more pleasing for everyone.

Yes, yes, this wasn't very relevant to what you were saying, but I came up with all this late yesterday night, for Pete´s sake. Have some sympathy! :p

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
TheKasp said:
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
Can't argue with that. I go even that far out as to say that I agree. "Sexism in gaming" is such a broad theme that can be tackled by many angles and clarification what topic is discussed by thread creator XYZ would spare the topic a lot of useless comments or quotewars.

And if I can spare some sympathy for the devil then I can also spare some for you.
I came to that particular realization when I considered the criticism of eye candy ladies. Lots of it just came off as slut-shaming in a different wrapper to me. As if they were using the fact that a female character was a Ms. fanservice to conveniently ignore her other personality traits.

Criticism of fanservice should in my opinion be directed at the author(s), not the actual character. Don't call the character a sex object and be done with it, look past the cheesecake and see the whole character with backstory and desires, etc. And even if those are lacking or non-existent, don't take that as an excuse to call her a sex object; just refer to her as a flat character.

Sex object is not meant to be a criticism of what a character, or a person in real life, is like. It is meant to be a descriptor of a symptom of the sexism that plaugues our society.

If this sounds a bit rambling, it is because I stumbled into this very amusing thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.385624-Are-government-intelligence-agencies-not-using-smart-surveillance?page=1] recently and am still sniggering.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Ekonk said:
But it was a steam sale and it was all so shiny :3 Also guild wars 2 and PC Dark Souls!

Some guy posted a youtube video that basically has men commenting on it with things like this:

Now that this community is growing, entitled women are barging in & demanding that things be changed to their liking. Sadly, many men are bowing before their vaginas & catering to them, but may other men & women aren't, & it's caused a major war that's gone for over a year.

Nothing's even happened to any of these women, but they keep crying about sexism & misogyny, always playing the victims. Anyone that disagrees with them is a misogynist now, but people are starting to wake up to their ploy.
got guild wars 2 I'm gonna wait for the dlc on ps3 for dark souls.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
rbstewart7263 said:
It's weird though even if you give as good as you get it still makes you feel crappy at the end of the day.

Been there. Retreat and do it again. Ive had to do the same. not in gaming but in life. You just get better and tougher and think of it like this. If you dont push on well your kind of proving there point and they win so to speak. You dont have a place in gaming when you dont fight.

Asha Greyjoy: Ive always wanted a castle.

Balon greyjoy: Then take one!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I love topics like this, because I find trolls so funny. We all know girls game some people are jut idiots. To see more idiots watch the Pro Gamer series on YouTube, the channel is reckless tortuga, it is about a man child who is a stereotypical COD troll.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Freezy_Breezy said:
defskyoen said:
Lol, this thread reminds me of this:
Full of Betas and Omegas up in here white knighting as if their life depended on it, grow some fucking balls lol
Dear God, that is the gayest thing I have seen in a long time.

IT WAS THE MEN

ALL THE MEN

Seriously, it's just fucking pathetic. How is pandering shamelessly recognising equality?
Its as though a hardcore feminist hijacked a Alcoholics anonymous meeting and whipped these fellas into worship of her vagina.

I will listen to your body and tend to its needs! blagh lmao

yeah for the vagina is infinite and we brutes are but only good in its service.

Together we can make miracles and get me off the syrup.lol

Brainpaint

Sep 28, 2011
Brainpaint said:
And there was somebody that said women are less competitive than men?
Watch two sisters play Crash Team Racing. You're DEAD WRONG! Lol.
I'm pretty sure Mario Party has caused many violent deaths in both sexes. :p
I've still got the scar of my left forearm from when I beat my sister at Actua Soccer on the PC and she dug her nails in and scratched me.

Nowadays we each have our own console. She has a PS3 and I have an Xbox360. So the only fighting we really do now is over who gets to play what on the big TV in the living room.

BOARDGAMES are worse, though. Something about not being reliant on a computer for keeping score has a habit of making people angrier.