ASMR: The Feeling Science Hasn't Explained Yet

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Apart from the noise annoying me slightly after like a minute I didn't feel anything.

The Selkie

May 25, 2012
If you're reading the OP and thinking "that sounds kind of odd, I'll watch the video to see what if it works" then it's probably not going to work for you. About half a year ago I happened across an article on ASMR on the internet and, like everyone else I've talked to about it, instantly understood. If you have to think about it, it probably won't work for you. For others it'll validate something that they've been periodically experiencing most of their life without ever being able to explain it to their friends.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Nope not getting anything, never experienced such feelings as well.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
SecretNegative said:
After a minute after watching the first video I started to suddenly start laughing out loud, not merely chuckling, but really laughing, like, loud.

That was really weird.
I laughed really hard at the second and third one. Especially the third. I think it's because it's just so odd that it's funny. Just seeing someone slowly cut open a bag of brushes and really slowly move them up to the camera is comedy gold for some reason.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
For me, this effect has never been triggered by touch. Of course that may be the result of my own social awkwardness. But visual and audio stimuli, definitely. I never sought out the effect but whether it be a song I like or a movie I enjoy, especially if it's one recently discovered that's not overexposed, it has triggered ASMR. Up until now I didn't know there was a name for it, like many others. It was just a thing, and like anything, you body does acclimate to it so the same trigger eventually stops working.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I've had that feeling all my life. It's so common to me that I thought it's how everyone feels when they relax. Hell, I've developed autohypnotic techniques to provoke the feeling in myself (nothing fancy; just basically imagining the sorts of things those videos do). It's a great way to deal with pain.

Aug 1, 2010
Well, it's not doing a damn thing for my spine.

[image/]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30188171.jpg[/IMG]

Seriously. Fucking cat couldn't scratch it.

So to answer your question, I love it and I'll be returning to it periodically.

Dec 10, 2012
OH, is that what you call it? I've been aware of this feeling since I was little, but I never really thought about what a scientist might call it. I didn't even know it was such a weird thing, I thought everybody got that sensation sometimes, no different than the feeling of being grossed out, or tickled, or whatever.

Interesting, I'll have to bring this up to my friends and see if they know it too.

For me, ASMR is usually auditory. When I was a kid I used to listen to cassette tapes of this guy named Jim Weiss tell children's stories in his very soft, slow voice, and it gave me that sensation a lot. They were great for putting me to sleep, now I know why. It doesn't happen as often as it used to anymore, and sometimes I like chasing that feeling, trying to will myself into getting a tingling chill down my back. It even makes me shiver involuntarily sometimes.

Weird stuff, now that I think about it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The responses have been interesting, indeed. A whole lot of people have felt it, but didn't know what it was. Glad I could be of service!

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Huh. None of the videos you posted worked for me, but the phenomenon sounded kinda like the shivery thing I feel when someone crunches on ice:

And so TIL there's a name for that shivery feeling. I'd always figured it was because I had formed a strong association between the sound and the sensation I feel when I chew ice myself. It only does it when someone legit bites down and cracks the ice, too (or when I hear a sound that's very similar to it)--just rattling the ice around against the teeth doesn't trigger.

EDIT: Upon reading the Wikipedia page for ASMR, I find it very interesting that people make a specific distinction between ASMR and the "chills" effect of music. Since this is my "first" experience with ASMR, and my ASMR seems to have another response overlaid (phantom sensation of the vibration of crushing ice in my teeth along with the coldness of the ice), it's difficult to relate others' descriptions of their personal ASMRs. Yet my own experiences and explorations with my personal responses to stimuli, especially music, seem to fit pretty well with ASMR as well as dopamine/endorphin response.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I believe I've experienced this before but didn't give it much thought. It seemed to occur while listening to my favorite songs, in particular, ones with instrumental sections. I'd get this weird sensation of slightly cooled water being poured over my brain. I never seem to have this feeling while watching these asmr youtube videos though.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Mazza35 said:
All I found was those videos were very boring and had no point?
I am confuse! D:
I don't get it either, I wasn't confuse I was just like who cares. Maybe if she was naked it would have some sort of point but........

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
It's very cool to learn about these weird things because I know what it's like to experience something and feel that nobody knows what you're talking about. I finally saw a commercial for Restless Leg Syndrome a couple years back and realized that's what I had as a kid. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me (that was over 20 years ago).

The one thing I haven't been able to identify is this sensation I sometimes get when sitting very still. It can happen after an hour or just a few seconds. My head starts to feel like it's floating away from my body, or like my body is stretching out over several dozen feet. Very strange. It used to happen all the time but not any more.

Bordersane

Aug 25, 2011
my trigger is when I'm taking a pee. seriously
(doesnt happen every time I take a pee, only occasionaly)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
It's very cool to learn about these weird things because I know what it's like to experience something and feel that nobody knows what you're talking about. I finally saw a commercial for Restless Leg Syndrome a couple years back and realized that's what I had as a kid. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me (that was over 20 years ago).

The one thing I haven't been able to identify is this sensation I sometimes get when sitting very still. It can happen after an hour or just a few seconds. My head starts to feel like it's floating away from my body, or like my body is stretching out over several dozen feet. Very strange. It used to happen all the time but not any more.
It sounds like "Alice In Wonderland Syndrome", except that is normally seeing things distorted rather than feeling them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome

Ever read a book by Oliver Sacks? He's a neurologist who encounters absolutely bizarre things on a regular basis, like rejected limbs, patients who have no method of balancing, a woman who couldn't comprehend the idea of "left" and had to spin all the way to the right to turn a bit to the left, and the like. He may have recorded a patient like you, as well as the science behind the condition. I've read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" and "Musicophilia", and his stuff is worth a read even if you don't find the answer.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Is this the thing that happens when someones "walking on your grave" as they say?