Assassin's Creed 2.85

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
In my opinion, the Russian Revolution is by far the most potentially interesting and awesome setting. The period is simply fascinating and there's plenty of room to weave in some Assassins vs Templars story. And really, I think it'd be pretty cool to still have the hidden blade (because, really, that weapon could still be used for assassinations today) but also some more modern weapons to play around with.

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
The main problem I see is people keep suggesting 'obvious' settings. Nothing wrong with that but part of what I liked about AC2 was that it introduced me to aspects of the Renaissance I wasn't aware of. It's almost a shame the comic has done the Russian Revolution because I know bugger all about it.

They've certainly made it impossible to play a whole "Desmond" game. The major appeal to me is the historical settings. What's to differentiate it from Tomb Raider or Uncharted if we have a modern day treasure hunter?

Can't help but feel they attempted to abandon the memory of AC1 and just pretend AC2-Brotherhood-Revelations was it's own triology. As lots of people DIDN'T play AC1 they probably thought no one would care and they probably don't but having a game a year has made the franchise feel heavy and bloated to me. I would have preferred a different setting for each game, and have them two years apart.

I enjoyed AC2 and AC Brotherhood but waiting to play AC Revelations. It's like looking forward to xmas dinner but knowing you're going to feel bloated by the end of the meal. I'm not that hungry yet.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
David Duchovny is a bit of a father figure for quite a few of us, you know...
he is? he's never once sent me a christmas prezzy! (tight git!)

OT, Victorian England, that's my guess, not that I want it, Guy Richie has messed it up enough with the ghastly Sherlock Holmes films!

FlipC

Dec 11, 2008
I like the idea of the French revolution setting (Assassin's Creed: Revolution?) for the reason Yahtzee gives. Make the first half of the game taking out the Templar aristocracy and church officials and the second half taking out your own people who have perverted the Creed. In essence it would mirror the events of Altair in Revelations while also riffing off the events that set Ezio on his path in the first place.

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
I would love to see a Rocambole or an Arsene Lupin gentleman assassin from mid 19th century France.

It would be even more of a pleasant surprise if a mixed dream sequence of Ezio and Altair calling future Desmond a tosser and convincing him to jump to said past to take steps to counter his future predicament would be directed into the game.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with you, Yahtzee:

I think Desmond's characterization has improved since ACII. He got a lot more snarky and humorous in Brotherhood and I haven't played Revelations yet, but from what I saw he's shown to have grown himself a pair of balls as well.

You just hate Americans.

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
Dear Yahtzee

Your reviews and opinions on games are quite entertaining and enlightening. To the extent where I have always agreed with your views but rarely consciously thought of them myself or if I do, unable to articulate them quite as effectively.

I should be sending this by email but I best not fill up your bin and hope you read this. Please review Mount&Blade: Warband and judge the indie developers innovation, creativity, weaknesses etc and start a one way discussion if possible. I love the game basically and I would love someone more experienced and clever to highlight some important mechanics and lessons ;)

Cheers, Chezzlor

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Sabrestar said:
It's a bit obscure for a lot of people, but I'd love to see one set around any of the several major events in Byzantine history. The fall of Constantinople in 1453 has potential, of course, or the time around the battle of Manzikert, the empire's biggest defeat and coming right in the middle of piles and piles of court intrigue and murders left and right. Mucking about with Emperors in the richest city in the mediaeval Western world has a lot of potential.

Sadly the time period is so little known by non-historians that it'd risk being a huge bomb.
But we just had 3 games set not 50 years after 1453. Hell, we even had freaking Byzantines in Revelations. I say let this time period be, AC needs to move on.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
The series died for me when they made assasin's creed brotherhood instead of assasins creed 3. Such a good hook and done so well in asscreed2, but they've totally lost me now with all this filler.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I like the idea of it being set in ancient Egypt and getting to see how the assassins and templars came to be. It would also make sense for the great temple to be underneath the pyramids. The problem I see with that though is it could end up looking like Constantinople. Wherever it is I hope they go right back to the first game again and build from that instead of adding to Revelations which has way to much useless filler stuff. I could see Desmond becoming slightly more interesting now his dad's in the picture but I doubt it.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
If the previews for AC3 come out with Desmond not being the main protagonist then I simply won't be picking it up. They set up the series for Desmond to be the hero who saves the world, but if you only get to play as him for 15 minutes then it's just not worth it. I mean the whole point of going into the Animus in AC2 was to train Desmond in being a badass. I was so excited when I got to use him during the end of ACB even though it was short and then disappointed with Animus Island with the lack of action.

I understand why they wouldn't though... it would be kind of difficult to do guns with the current engine, and in either case they/nor I would want it to turn into Splinter Cell with parkour... though maybe I would... does sound kind of cool. If they used the story, it would be even harder to explain how no one uses guns... hmm, maybe the assassins find a kinetic shield tech ala Dune through one of the artifacts so guns are next to useless.

Just because I understand it though, doesn't mean I have to like it. Just like I don't like captchas.... santona never.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm just going to say, there are only so many different nationalities Desmond can have in his lineage. I personally don't see any African-American or Chinese in him.

Grimfolse

Feb 28, 2011
I'd still love to see one set in feudal Japan. Lot of fun opportunities there. Though of course then we'd be subjected to a lot of awful Japanese accents.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
If I had my hand into Ubisoft designs...Remember those memories of getting the keys in ACR, the stuff to get Altaïr's armor in AC2 or the keys to get the armor of brutus?? They were awesome. It would be great if AC3 had Desmond sections with that. They'd have to use the Animus to pin-point the location. (Any new era with an interesting background).

TH3MADDH4TT3R

Dec 26, 2011
i think that on set in industrial revolution london would be just amazing and would fit with things like the legend of springheeled jack

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
I saw a Ctrl Alt Del comic showing a British soldier from the Revolutionary War being pounced on by a female assassin, I think that would be an awesome sequel.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
rdaleric said:
I would really like to see a game set in 19th century London. Either in the first half, which is the closest that the U.K. has been to revolution in a very long time (The Cato street conspiracy, captain swing riots Peterloo massacre etc), Alternatively it could be set in the 1880s, maybe somehow involving Jack the Ripper?
This is what I was thinking as well. I watched Sweeny Todd not too long ago (yes, I know, shut it) and could just picture how well the grimy streets of Victorian London would work as a setting for the next game. Really, I cannot see it taking place anywhere that isn't a giant city in Europe. They have all those really close together buildings and stuff to grab. New York would be too smooth or something.

And yeah, they really don't have a choice but to go to another time period. I borrowed Brotherhood from a friend and shouted at my laptop when I found out that Revelations was going to be in the same universe again. The whole series has been an exercise in mediocrity since II. So enough Ubisoft. We like Ezio, but it is time to move on already. Fix your shit and fix it immediately.

Robert MacKenzie

Jan 5, 2012
I too have been wondering how the assassins work during Desmond's time ... hmm ... they always been ahead of their times in terms of their technology, so ... jetpacks maybe?