Assassin's Creed 3: Again, Ubisoft?

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think this is a game ruiner, but it is a disappointment. Assassins Creed for all its sins is at least strikingly original in gaming. To see them back down on making an interesting switch of villain is disappointing.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Actually, you know what game series has done this whole conflict a thousand times better than Ubisoft will? Total War.

Here is, according to my British Grand Campaign, how the American Revolution took place.

First, the Thirteen Colonies called out for someone to rid them of the filthy Spanish and French.
Britain did nothing because its military and naval power in the Americas was pitiful. The Royal Navy spent all its time trying to blockade enemy shipping, and running like hell when the pirates rolled in.

Then the Thirteen Colonies wanted help against the Natives.
Britain, by then, had a strong Navy. She began to amass forces to crush the Pirates, and thus allow free movement of trade goods into and out of the Americas. This was to fund the military push to take Florida from the Spanish and thus secure the Colonial southern flank.
It never happened; open war with Spain and France demanded that Britain invest heavily in protecting her own shores. Anti-piracy operations continued, but with so little resources available any hope of a military operation on the mainland died on the vine.

So the Thirteen Colonies began to lose ground, and as more Native tribes joined the war they again asked Britain for aid.
This time, Britain raised an army, rallied a fleet, and set sail for the Americas. As it passed Iceland, Denmark declared war. The army was diverted to take Iceland, and reinforcements intended for the Americas were likewise diverted. Once again, the threat of war at home meant the Colonies went unheeded.

And so, approximately thirty three years after they first called for aid, the military governor of the Bahamas finally saw his forces land on Florida's eastern shore. Of the Thirteen Colonies there was no sign; what hadn't been taken by the Cherokee now swore allegiance to the United States of America.

When I invade the USA, I won't do so with any malice. In fact, I'll regret having to do it at all. I failed these people; they called out for my aid countless times, and no aid ever came. When the war comes, when the redcoats storm up the east coast and relcaim their now lost Protectorate, it will be for one simple reason; because, left independent, the USA may one day become my enemy. Britain cannot afford that. Without the wealth of the Americas the British Empire would be crippled. Trade flows now, but will it continue to flow tomorrow?

That is a war I can get behind. That is a setting where I can find myself supporting the Americans. It's not because they're fighting for some grand ideal, or because Britain is evil and selfish and they're so damn perfect they fart angel dust. In my American Revolution, both nations are victims, their fates dictated by powers beyond their control. In my Revolution, neither side wins; it's just a question of which side loses more, and whether the people as a whole will be better off when the guns fall silent.

pumuckl

Feb 20, 2010
No, Black and White would be like this: I was home alone and some robber comes in and begins to assault me and I fight back. That is black and white.

The situation for the Rev war: The colonies were part of the British Empire and existed for many reasons, but they also eventually became simply there to benefit British with taxes and such. So the newly found Americans (who at the time were also essentially British) decided to rebel back so they could become an independant nation.

That is black and white situation, they had all the rights to rebel and fight for their freedom. Unless your going to tell me that it was horrible and the Americans are evil for wanting to be seperate from the British empire.[/quote]

Just so you know, the british taxed themselves more then they taxed the colonies for the vast majority of americas existance. and the raising of taxes only occured after britain had to help protect the colonies. say what you will about how british handled it's other colonies, but america was treated damn well. Our founding fathers mostly wanted power, that is not black and white at all.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
CD-R said:
Sparrow said:
Korten12 said:
But this is the Rev war. This isn't America during Vietnam and the Middle East. Honestly you would have really stretch it to make America be evil and the Brits being good during this war. Imo it was basically as black and white as World War II was.
"History is written by the victor" has never been more relevant. No war is black and white, the revolutionary war was certainly far from a simple battle of good vs evil. Both sides did things we'd sooner rather erase from history. Hell, WW2 certainty wasn't black and white. I mean, there was that whole thing with American nuking those civilians and the bombing of Dresden.
I like how say that like that's not what everyone else was doing during WWII. Seriously that's how wars were fought back then. It was whoever could blow up the most stuff and kill the most people was the winner. There was no UN or Geneva Convention to say you couldn't do that.
I'm not disputing that. I'm simply saying even the good guys did bad things.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
ReinWeisserRitter said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Ubisoft is letting a glorified fan fiction writer make them a couple bucks. That's it. Don't take it as canon for the entire series.
Ah, the whole "the part I like just isn't canon even though it's an officially licensed work" angle. Always the epitome of reason.

If you thought it was the greatest thing ever, you'd be screaming at the top of the damn rafters that it was canon as shit the second someone said otherwise.
I like how you sarcastically call me the epitome of reason while getting incredibly butthurt and aggressive yourself.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
pumuckl said:
Just so you know, the british taxed themselves more then they taxed the colonies for the vast majority of americas existance. and the raising of taxes only occured after britain had to help protect the colonies. say what you will about how british handled it's other colonies, but america was treated damn well. Our founding fathers mostly wanted power, that is not black and white at all.
It wasn't the taxes themselves, its that the taxes were created and levied without giving the Americas any representation in Parliament. Considering many of the Americans at the time were first or second generation British (or at least identified as such),it was quite a slap in the face. It would be like the U.S. Govt. creating laws and taxes and applying them to states with no senators or representatives.

They were treating America, like all their other colonies, in a "You are only British when its convenient, or you owe us money." way.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]
ReinWeisserRitter said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Ubisoft is letting a glorified fan fiction writer make them a couple bucks. That's it. Don't take it as canon for the entire series.
Ah, the whole "the part I like just isn't canon even though it's an officially licensed work" angle. Always the epitome of reason.

If you thought it was the greatest thing ever, you'd be screaming at the top of the damn rafters that it was canon as shit the second someone said otherwise.
I like how you sarcastically call me the epitome of reason while getting incredibly butthurt and aggressive yourself.
I've come across so many irrational whiners on my time on the internet it's not even worth getting worked up by you people anymore, frankly; I just swear a lot.

You've also got some sensitive toes if you thought that was aggression, and does "butthurt" even apply here? Your rebuttal doesn't make any sense at all, thinking on it.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Fascinating thread with a plethora of different views.

Me though? I'm hating on AC3 for one reason, and it's nothing to do with the setting.

To get the complete game, you have to buy (may not be exactly accurate) something like 6 different versions, on 2 different platforms, from a minimum of 3 different retailers. Am I the only person here who considers that a much bigger issue than Connor being neutral or a flag waving rebel sympathiser?

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
As an American, even I find this annoying, especially because it betrays the lore: Assassins don't fight for any nation or government, they just fight for the people. They should be as neutral in the American Revolution as they were in the Crusades.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Dead horse, club.

Seriously, decide right now if you're looking forward past the narrative flaws of an Assassin's Creed game, or if you can't handle the Brits being portrayed as the bad guys. You've seen enough gameplay to decide if it's worth it or not.

Just make the decision. You're not gonna here any different news.
Wargamer said:
So let me get this straight...

Connor, a Half-British, Half-Native Assassin, is dedicating his life to fighting on behalf of a people who want to steal a country from the British, and commit genocide against the Natives?
Well, seeing how there was no such thing as "White Americans" at this time, seeing how everyone was British, it's not that far fetched. There was no outcry from the Rebels to commit genocide against the Natives at this time. That had already more or less happened by the British and the Spanish in 300 years or so after it's discover, and the big American genocides that you're most likely thinking of wouldn't happen for another hundred years when we started to move west.

Which in all reality was mostly attributed to foreign diseases like small pox and measles.

So no. They aren't that bad of writers for all we know. They just made the unpopular choice of making the British empire (who owned a good chunk of the world by 'righteous' conquest) more or less the bad guys.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
You know what, I was going to type a huge essay about my opinion on that, but I'll just let Totalbiscuit share my view [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvpNHzDuaKY&feature=player_detailpage#t=502s].

Dreamfiller

May 25, 2011
What I think will end up happening hill ally with the rebels because he believes for some reason they can help his people and after the war is won, they don't keep their promise.

-THAT- is when the slaughter of American's begins...I also think Washington is a templar. Just...calling it right now.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I'll just wait for the game to actually come out before I judge the plot.

They shouldn't have to release a bunch of story spoilers, and I don't want them to. Especially if it's just to satisfy a bunch of people whining about who gets to have the positive light.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I doubt it's as black and white as many might believe it to be. I'm sure there will be some assholes to kill on the American side. Who's to say Connor isn't siding with them and getting in their good graces so he can get closer to some dastardly American Templars?

I wouldn't worry about this at the moment. All we can do is speculate, which leads us nowhere until we play the game. Personally, I am going to enjoy it for whatever it is. AC3 is being made by a French company studio that is based out of my city (Montreal), let's have some faith that this isn't all about killing Brits.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
nasteypenguin said:
I'm not particularly averse to killing Englishmen myself, being a Scot. I do think this is Ubisofts chance to prove themselves. If they can pull this off by creating effective villains in the backdrop of a morally gray war and not affecting the morality of the war itself, I will have great respect for them.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
A lot fewer people died in the bombings than would have died during an invasion.
I would agree it was the lesser of two evils in a utilitarian sense and I don't think the motivation behind it was in any way evil but they were sparing the lives of soldiers by sacrificing innocent civilians. I don't think you can say it had no moral implications.
More Japanese civilians would have died in an invasion than in the bombings. The Japanese would have fought down to the last man, woman, and child.. So they saved losses on both sides.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Dreamfiller said:
What I think will end up happening hill ally with the rebels because he believes for some reason they can help his people and after the war is won, they don't keep their promise.

-THAT- is when the slaughter of American's begins...I also think Washington is a templar. Just...calling it right now.
Why would he be a templar? He never wanted power. He only came to the meeting to make the constitution because people wouldn't have supported it other wise. He only ran for president because people begged him to. He just wanted a nice family life. At least that is what my history teachers tell me.