Assassin's Creed Creator Says Nobody Cares About Discs Anymore

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
While I am fairly indiffrent towards the digital/physical debate, IF they are going all-digital, there are two things they must guarantee. Which they won't cause they view us as all-consuming mouths who will eat whatever we're fed and spit out money.

1) Lower the prices of digital sales. Not that difficult, they don't have to share with the retailer, have discs/cases made, they can even skip out on instruction booklets, because hey; all digital. But they won't do that, because the oppertunity to make MORE makes their mouths water.

2) For goodness sake, don't force us to always be online and guarantee the game will be playable after the developper stopped caring. But I really doubt they shall, because they seem to love to control every aspect of our 'experience' too much.

Spacemonkey430

Oct 8, 2012
So if digital is the future doesn't that mean that companies should start making quality products and services in order for them to be widely accepted, purchased and used by the consumer? It would seem that would produce more proffits in the long run. And isn't that what the big names of the industry are all about these days? Saying that they desperately need to make a buck because they are all poor and starving because of the evil consumer not blindly pandering to their poor busniness practices? This seems to be the approach instead. Say something that gives you domination is "the future of gaming" and then ram it down anybody who may have wanted something that comes along with your systems throat (like an exclusive) and tell them its nice and for their own good and they are a benevolent god for giving it to you.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
The problem is that digital data is just digital data, but a disc is not just a disc.

I have, in my big racks still full of CDs, the two-disc special edition version of the best of James, my favourite band. The pro-digital argument wants to see those two discs as two folders on my hard drive containing 18 and 7 music files respectively that could have been downloaded from iTunes or Spotify or some torrent or whatever else, for all they care. I don't see them as that. I see them as the final result of four years trawling every record shop I went into, the length and breadth of the country, from Plymouth to Dundee and Manchester to Kings Lynn. I see them as a memento of a Christmas spent with a couple of mates in Nottingham. I see them as the joy and relief on my face when they had to get their trains back home and I had half an hour to kill so I thought I'd pop into a nearby MVC I spotted, where I finally found them.

I can tell similar stories about much of my CD collection. And my DVD collection; my Skins Series 3 box set isn't just ten video files, it's a twenty-three mile hike around Stoke-on-Trent. Digital data is disposable, something designed to be so intangible that it has no meaningful value. The majority of my discs have value to me far beyond their content. That's not something I'm willing to just throw away.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
With the move to all-digital the companies will have an even easier time spying on the criminal scu-CUSTOMERS, making sure they're loyal every second of the day. And god forbid they want to play the game alone offline, in which case it'll delete all their saved games and render the game itself useless.