Assassin's Creed Creator Says Nobody Cares About Discs Anymore

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I like discs, they don't take 20 hours to download.
Saulkar said:
Oh, come on. The least you could do would be to go along with the joke. ^^;
As an assassin, I imagine he takes his individual right to own games quite seriously.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I prefer digital, because I don't have enough room for stuff as it is, and this would be one more item cluttering up space.

Although I do see that this makes trading games to friends/for cash nigh impossible... although(^2) if we were charged a proper digitally suitable price, I wouldn't care too much about that...

Actually, yeah: hey, you want the future to be here and all digital? How about charging an only-digital suitable price then?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
The future might be digital.

But we really don't need dicks like you raping the future before it even begins mr. Desilets.

Stick your DRM, your packaged sales and all the other crap you want to put on there to control how we play games right back up your asshole.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Desilets, nobody is denying that the all-digital future WILL happen...but not NOW. Too many people in the industry are trying to force this when it's not the right time. Digital media consumption IS increasing, but the conversion to mostly digital media is going to be a slow one.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
"Yeah, games come on disc, and I get it guys, you were really pissed off," he said. "But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more. The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."
Are you a mindreader on a global scale? No? Then please don't try to speak for everyone.

I care about discs because they give me ownership over what I paid for. I give money, I get my game, I do whatever the fuck I want with it. The digital future the XBone would've brought would not offer me the same. I would no longer have full agency over when and how I played my games.

It's the reason why I like GoG so much. I give them money, they let me download my game, I then do whatever the fuck I want with it. No strings attached. No hoops to jump through. As far as I'm concerned, their approach is virtually equivalent to having physical media.

But I doubt you have the same thing in mind.

We did a game, somehow, about the Muslim faith.
Having Islam in your game does not make it about Islam. AC shows only the vaguest of understanding of Crusades-era Muslim faith and culture.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Seeing as I'm a console gamer I would rather not have to be forced to use digital. especially considering Sony and Microsoft's absurd prices on digital games.

DVS BSTrD said:
I'm nobody
who are you?
Are you nobody to?
Then there's a pair of us, don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I care. In fact, a whole lot of people do. I don't think games as a whole will ever go truly digital, not until all major game devices are so small they fit in a palm of your hand and it's just reasonable to keep all their stuff on a beefy data storage device inside, which is the case with music and MP3-flac-whatever devices.
Now the thing with licenses... When you buy a disk you get an eternal license to play AND the actual copy to use with that license. But if you buy digital you don't actually get the hard copy and so they can just steal it back sometime down the line. Well, it's not that bad on consoles, you technically can keep your installed digital games for eternity, but that's not as reliable and convenient as having a hard copy.

dikelley

Mar 10, 2010
Someone else who cares? The millions of us that don't have real broadband access. Oh yes, I looooove waiting two days to play a game I bought while it slithers its way down my blazing 1.5Mbps AT&T connection that rarely performs above .75kbps. Even better the 60% of the population of my home county that relies on satellite or cellular for so-called high-speed connections.

Oh yeah, and here we have again someone else in the industry that's ready to write off the entire military who may not have access to digital for months at a time.

Seriously? All that over the xbone just whooshed over this dick's head?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Indeed we don't care about CDs anymore. That's because we have Bluray discs now. These incredible things mean we don't have to spend hours or possibly days downloading a single game.

How was Assasins Creed about the Muslim faith? Which is called Islam by the way Mr Desilets.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Gizen said:
Digital IS the future, but it's not going to be the magic bullet that suddenly makes AAA games profitable again. The only thing that will make AAA games profitable is when the people working on games lower sales expectations to something even remotely resembling realistic and learn how to properly manage a budget...
I think it would be helpful for everyone to remember that, while gaming is increasingly socially accepted, CoD:MW3 moved 22 million units. Even assuming that's solely in the US, that's still just under 10% of the U.S. population playing one of, if not the, highest selling games of all time. This is still a niche hobby, and everyone needs to remember that.

OT: The future is digital, but that doesn't stop you from being a tool in the present Mr. Desilets. We'll get there when we get there and the DRM/digital sales model has a long way to go before it's going to be widely embraced. Doubly so as increasing numbers of people realize digital largely means they don't own the games they buy. It's a bad business model, and one that is probably going to have some high ranking industry execs standing before the Supreme Court in the not too distant future.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I care. Fuck you. Sure, digital will become more and more important as and when the internet, internet infrastructure and connection speeds increase and service improves. Fuck having to wait 8 hours for a game to download when all I have to do is pop a disk in, install it and jobs' a good'un.

Having said that, some games that require Steam to play (Shogun 2 comes to mind, what a horrible experience that was) MUST be downloaded upon re-installation and the retail disks I pre-ordered are now useless.

Captcha: no-brainer

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
So some spoilt rich prick in America (a country built around greed and selfishness) is trying to tell me what I want is not value for money or a product in my hands for the money spent, but rather I want to make the greedy American corporations even richer.....
Go fuck yourself.

I'm sick of these assholes telling me what I do and don't want (usually involving all the benefits for them and none for us) rather than accepting that the industry is destroying itself out of pure greed. No other industry would treat their customers like these pigs do and I look forward to seeing them going broke, good riddance. Then real companies that know how to make a quality product with a nice profit margin can move in to reap the rewards of AAA's utter stupidity.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
No, I like my discs, it's easier then waiting for my ridiculously slow internet and even cheaper when I get preowned.

Plus looks much better in a shelf.

These digital people really have to stop talking like they know everyone.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Absolutionis said:
As a PC Gamer, I really don't care about discs.

Notably, as a PC Gamer, I really don't care about Ubisoft either considering how much they don't care about me.

It's a bit of mutual apathy. It's hard to appeal to the population that doesn't mind digital while simultaneously alienating them.
This.

It's difficult for me to understand how a guy who worked for a company as console-centric as Ubisoft would have a mindset like this. It's outright baffling.

Brussels

Jun 27, 2013
Maybe if there was an indication that digital sales make up more of video game sales overall than physical, maybe I'd believe them. There's no way Ubisoft games sell more digitally. You can't make a statement like this after the backlash Microsoft got for their policies.