Assassin's Creed Devs Don't Hate the British

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
John Funk said:
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:
To be fair, though, you were kind of the bad guys.
And you needed the french to win.

We'd rather lose than ally with them.
See? Latent historical resentment. I knew it!
If we really wanted to keep America, we would have :D

Wasn't worth the loses though.
If you had wanted to try, then it would have ended up more like Canada, where you're in charge on paper, and that's about it.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Unlike America, we British do not try to ignore the parts of our past that show how bad we were. We had the largest Empire in history and we got most of it by walking into other peoples countries,shoting anyone who looked at us funny and beat the crap out of the rest until they understood that they were now our bitches.

The majority of Brits who play the game will likly not give a crap. I just hope that it is portrayed fairly. Yes we did some bad things at that time but so did the French and the colonials were not exactly inocent.

Besides it does not matter that the Americans won the war because the world was, and still is, run by the Drood family and they are English so suck it!

PS: If anyone gets the reference above then you can have 10000000000000 internets.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:

This. We only backed down from the war because:
1. We never expected it to last more than a year or so; and

2. We had to save resources on a impending war with closer nations, such as the French, Dutch and Spanish - which ended up happening so lucky us.

The colonists wouldn't have stood a chance against the entire might of the British military. We owned a third of the known world at the time. But I'm glad we didn't win, I sort-of like the USA (When your not all being patriotic, fundamental-Christian or just downright stupid). :D

I still laugh at Pizza being a vegetable because of the tomato purée, though tomato's a fruit and purée is rarely even organic.

[hr]
Back OT: I'm a little annoyed that Connor isn't killing Templars on both sides, but meh - it doesn't hurt to be the bad guys every once in a while. The Russians bit the bullet for a while as the main antagonists, so why not step it up a notch to the best nation on the planet?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
vxicepickxv said:
Daystar Clarion said:
John Funk said:
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:

See? Latent historical resentment. I knew it!
If we really wanted to keep America, we would have :D

Wasn't worth the loses though.
If you had wanted to try, then it would have ended up more like Canada, where you're in charge on paper, and that's about it.
Hey now, the Governor General still reports to the Queen!

And... you know... allies and such...

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
John Funk said:
Whats that? I can't hear you over the sound of my puppy fueled death ray making its hourly shot at cute endangered species.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I think the problem most people have is there hasn't really been any "Templars vs Assassins" imagery in the trailers or gameplay vids. It mostly has been a lot, almost entire British armies, being wiped out by one lone American patriot while the words "freedom", "liberty", "justice" are being spoken over it.

I guess hindsight is a funny thing though seeing as most people now moan about the US being too corrupt, too greedy or censoring too much.

But history should remain where it belongs, which is in the past. I don't really mind killing my own random computer generated non-living unfeeling fellow geographical representative avatars countrymen, as long as its done tastefully and not rated PG (Patriotic Garbage).

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
They keep saying "Oh, the British aren't depicted as the bad guys" but I really don't see any of that coming through in their trailers, so far the headcount of the Assassin is about a billion English redcoats and not a single Revolutionary. Someone else said maybe it's a plotpoint-y twist. Hmm, that would be interesting.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I dont mind. My Mums side is Hungarian and my dads side didnt go to the colonys as fr as I know.

John Funk said:
How very dare you! Fisty cuffs! I demand satisfaction!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
John Funk said:
In all seriousness, this is actually an interesting thought. We have a great many readers from the various parts of Great Britain - do you feel that Assassin's Creed III is unfairly targeting you? Is it going to be odd playing a character who stalks and kills your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfathers?
Nope. I think "too soon" is not something that can apply to a war that happened in the 1700's. I don't much care, really. It'd be like a whole bunch of people still whining they lost a rebellion and still waving the flag their side used... *looks at the American Deep South* oh...

I'm utterly detached from the whole Revolutionary War in every possible way. Frankly I'm glad America won it. You're your own problem now.

To be even more fair, both sides were kind of dicks in equal measure. Sure we were arseholes but the kicker is that the Americans were arseholes too. There's a Cracked article about this somewhere I cannot be arsed to find and link to, but it basically points out that the "oppressive taxes" issue really wasn't that much of an issue, since most colonists barely paid them anyway and the crown didn't really give much of a shit to begin with.

Plus because we were an ocean away and the guy in charge to reporting shit to us loved us to begin with and wasn't exactly in touch with what the everyday colonists were feeling about the whole situation, we didn't even really know people were pissed off over taxes they weren't even paying. Plus you guys dragged us into a war we had no fucking reason to be fighting and then threw a *****-fit when we suggested you maybe shoulder some of the cost of said war.

So really, let's call it a wash and move on. People are still trying to convince the Americans that they weren't the lone patriotic heroes during World War 2 that liberated Europe by themselves, do we really still need to be arguing about the very first war you guys ever fought?

To cut a long story short: I don't give a fuck about murdering virtual old-timey British people. Though I do have some reservations about getting blood and bullet-holes in those fabulous coats.

Bvenged said:
The Russians bit the bullet for a while as the main antagonists, so why not step it up a notch to the best nation on the planet?
A while? They're still doing that. And will be until America gets into it's next proper war (those little bullet-filled excursions into developing nations don't count) so it can find someone fresh to demonise for the sake of flag-waving bullshit and patriotic hooting.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't think for a minute anyone thought the guys on the dev team thought "y'know what?" "what?" "Fuck the british!" "yeaaaaaaaaah!".

whats more important here is when do i get my Assassins Creed: Rise of the Shogunate?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
As a Brit. I feel tampted to apologise for the apparent squeemishness (not to mention hypocricy) of my other countrymen at this point. The CoD: Modern Warfare franchise (the most popular gaming franchise of the generation) features 2 British chaps as the series main good-guys, cutting down wave after wave of one-dimensional Russians, Arabs, and even at one point Americans... and no-one bats an eye.

But then this one game appears that has the gall to show some British imperialists getting slit up and suddenly we all start losing our shit. Really guys? I mean really? That's not even mentioning the accusations of this being because the US audience is too hung up on nationalism, which in this context makes my irony detectors explode under the pressure.

I get that the War of Independence was more complicated than good colonists versus evil imperials. All wars are more complicated than that, and if Ubisoft go against what they're saying here and dilute the issue for the sake of appealing to the US audience I will be a little disappointed sure. But, if that happens (which I think is unlikely given their track record so far) I will resolve to deal with it and not act like a baby because this happened one bloody time! You think this is unfair representation before the game has even come out? Go ask a Russian or Iranian how they feel right now.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
I like being part navajo.

It means I get to be angry with both of you and neither of you guys can say a thing :p

(I like to think that I'm The closest thing to desmond IRL, I live in england but My mum is half arabic, half Navajo/american, and my dad is Italian/Irish. If the next Ac is set in Ireland, I am Desmond Miles)

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I don't think there's anything anti-British about this game. However, it would be a nice change to have a few more games where we're fighting against the evil American army who invade any and every country they feel like.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Helmholtz Watson said:
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:

World War one and two say otherwise.
World War 1 we technically went in to try and liberate Belgium. If the Germans had decided to invade through the Franco-German border instead, rather than go through Belgium to avoid it we probably would have kept our noses out.

World War 2 the French just surrendered. We only went in because we knew it would be us next if we didn't do something. :p

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I'm British (well there's a rare ocassion outside of completing a form where I actually state my nationality as British) and so far, this hasn't really bothered me.

Anyway, it's not all bad, the principal character of AC3 is half-British after all.

The old tea-drinking stereotype though being applied to the British as a whole though does bug me a bit. Seems more of a resolutely "English" thing to me really...

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
I wasnt aware any British people took offence in the first place... and if they did, I am guessing they didnt know about the American Revolution ever happening. Although, given the whole thing was mostly about taxation I would hardly call Britain the "bad guys" as America was hardly morally superior. Pretty much every country were "bad guys" back then.

Anyway, back to the main problem which is the tea... WHY BOSTON, WHY?! Seriously, Boston sucks.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
You should see the other threads >_>;
The butthurt is unimaginable.

I'm actually pro-UK b/c of my religious standings, but I was amazed at the reactions this game was getting from a certain cohort of UK-ers. There is no black/white good or evil, humans all over the globe have been scumbags for generations. I'm not sure where all the animosity is coming from, unless there's some sort of deep rooted old-wound that hasn't healed yet that I am oblivious to. In contrast, honestly, I LIKE it when the US are 'bad guys'. Heck, I even revel in it!! :p

NinjaDeathSlap said:
As a Brit. I feel tampted to apologise for the apparent squeemishness (not to mention hypocricy) of my other countrymen at this point. The CoD: Modern Warfare franchise (the most popular gaming franchise of the generation) features 2 British chaps as the series main good-guys, cutting down wave after wave of one-dimensional Russians, Arabs, and even at one point Americans... and no-one bats an eye.

But then this one game appears that has the gall to show some British imperialists getting slit up and suddenly we all start losing our shit. Really guys? I mean really? That's not even mentioning the accusations of this being because the US audience is too hung up on nationalism, which in this context makes my irony detectors explode under the pressure.
Thanks for this post. It reminds me of the aspects I love about the UK. *glares at a few select individuals*, GO AWAY! let me remember the open-mindedness and progressive thinking that I admired D:

edit: My favorite Brit

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."