Assassin's Creed Devs Don't Hate the British

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
Wait, are people actually mad about this? I can't tell how seriously I should be taking this. But, in the case that this is an actual issue to some people, my only advice would be this: Cry about it.

Seriously, you know how many world war 2 games there are? German people don't seem all that upset about that. Not to mention the hammering Russia has been getting in video games recently. But really, the fact that it has gotten to the point where Ubisoft has needed to make comments about it to placate butthurt British people is a little ridiculous.

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
Joke all you like, but DON'T FUCK WITH THE FRENCH.

Seriously.

Anyway, i'm british and I don't find it racist at all.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
John Funk said:
To be fair, though, you were kind of the bad guys.
HA! We're ALWAYS the bad guys! It's fun being scum.

There should definitely be more games where the British are the bad guys. Films have got the right idea: british accent + probably played by Sean Bean = bad guy. Games are definitely lagging behind.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I hope so, all the trailers so far have shown only brits getting a native hair cut and scenes in which the word freedom is used while the American flag is raised which does have me worried that it will be us=good brits=bad. Although Ubisoft generally do good research on each Assassins Creed game so I imagine that my worries will be proved wrong once we know more of the story elements; I trust the French Canadians won't be sore losers. Otherwise I might just go round killing minutemen in the game out of protest :p

I'm calling now that the story will involve a twist where both the colonists and British are ultimately controlled by the templars who are involved in a internal struggle for power and decide to use the Assassins as a pawn to give one side the edge over the other. You heard it here first.
Are the trailers really that bad though? I see what you mean about the general picture but they keep dropping hints that things will be more complex than that, certain lines such as "I will fight the enemy regardless of their allegiance" and "They speak of freedom, liberty, but for who?". Also, while all the fighting so far has been against Redcoats, Connor certainly doesn't look like he likes the Patriots that much either. In the CG trailer his only interaction with them is shoving them out of the way all like 'Screw you guys, I'm doing this on my own' and then stealing their horse; and in the gameplay demo he's not exactly chummy with the guy he talks to.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
MANIFESTER said:
Daystar Clarion said:
John Funk said:
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:
And you needed the french to win.

We'd rather lose than ally with them.
See? Latent historical resentment. I knew it!
If we really wanted to keep America, we would have :D

Wasn't worth the loses though.
And here I thought you guys did want it back. You know that whole...incident in 1812. Then you guys realized it just wasn't worth it with the whole Napoleon thing.
The British didn't start the War of 1812. We, that is the Americans, did. Sorry if you didn't know that. It was pretty much a land grab for Canada. It failed. The British were nice enough to let us call it a draw though. The war ended after Napoleon lost (the first time - 1814) because the British were lining up their first rate troops for a trip to America (which is why a lot of them missed Napoleon's return engagement in 1815). If the British had put their full military might into it you'd probably be singing God Save the Queen. Fortunately, for you I guess, after 25 years of conflict in Europe they weren't interested.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
It's not even close to Revelations, where the Templar were trying to free several nations from Osman tyranny.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm still curious which of the leading American Patriots gets to fall to the blade of an assassin. Furthermore, I'm curious how the Assassin's recruited Connor. It's been awhile since we've had a new protagonist, and both the previous ones were either already assassins and in trouble, or were three days from joining anyway before their assassin family got murdered. Are we doing the same thing here, assassin family kind of thing, or was this a recruit, who was told "hey, we know you hate the colonists and the British military for fucking over your people, how'd you like to pay them back some, oh by the way, you get a cool hood and may end up missing a finger?"

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
There have been some very good points on both sides of the argument. In all honesty, I do believe this developer is NOT anti-British, but the promotional material and the game can be seen as such.

All the trailers and stuff have Connor eliminating British soldiers by the cartload and to date I can only see one person who had any Templar iconography (that Colonel person from one of the most recent trailers) which makes most of the trailers look a bit American propaganda-y especially since they have the 'Freedom/Liberty' slogans in the background. But this game is marketed to lots of different countries. The USA will be a bigger market than the UK so it makes more sense to side with the Americans.

Historical wise, The game is going to have some minefields to get through. The closer you get in history the better documented everything is. AC3 will risk accusations of character assassination (pun intended) and false interpretations of historical events. Assassins Creed has always found historical villains or people who were actually assassinated (Rodrigo and Cesare were REALLY deserving villains, the stuff they did was awful) but with better documentation comes less people who seemed overtly evil. Though a sure fire way to kill game sales in America would be to have the US as having Templar members, remember, these guys founded their nation so if a game represents a founding father or American leader as a templar they would have this argument levelled at them but British replaced with American.

This is also the first time Assassins Creed has had the good and bad guys represented by nations that still exist today. The political entities from previous games no longer survive today but Britain and America are both around today. In addition, in previous games, the Assassins were never overtly part of one faction. Altair killed people on both sides while Ezio tells the people of Florence that they don't have to follow the Medici (despite helping them in Acts 1-6) but to have Connor overtly support one side is different from the previous games.

I've written rather a lot there but in essence, the AC devs don't hate the British, but AC3 may have a hard time and it would have helped if they had promoted an Assassins Vs Templars struggle rather than Templar and British Vs American and Assassin.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
You all speak as if, by default, the Colonists winning was a bad thing. *shades*

Yep, I said it. Proud of my roots. Tsalagi blood overlapped with Scottish, Irish, English, German, and French roots.

That being said, we're two of the best worlds these days. I respect all both sides, unless there's truly something immoral in the wicked sense of things, going on.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I hope so, all the trailers so far have shown only brits getting a native hair cut and scenes in which the word freedom is used while the American flag is raised which does have me worried that it will be us=good brits=bad. Although Ubisoft generally do good research on each Assassins Creed game so I imagine that my worries will be proved wrong once we know more of the story elements; I trust the French Canadians won't be sore losers. Otherwise I might just go round killing minutemen in the game out of protest :p

I'm calling now that the story will involve a twist where both the colonists and British are ultimately controlled by the templars who are involved in a internal struggle for power and decide to use the Assassins as a pawn to give one side the edge over the other. You heard it here first.
Are the trailers really that bad though? I see what you mean about the general picture but they keep dropping hints that things will be more complex than that, certain lines such as "I will fight the enemy regardless of their allegiance" and "They speak of freedom, liberty, but for who?". Also, while all the fighting so far has been against Redcoats, Connor certainly doesn't look like he likes the Patriots that much either. In the CG trailer his only interaction with them is shoving them out of the way all like 'Screw you guys, I'm doing this on my own' and then stealing their horse; and in the gameplay demo he's not exactly chummy with the guy he talks to.

No the trailers aren't that bad I am exaggerating somewhat. I to notice those subtle hints alluding to the story being less black and white than what many of us imagine it will be. It would not make sense for a half native half british character to exclusively side with the colonists given that the colonists proved to just a bad in their treatment of the natives as the British. You might have a point about the patriots in the gameplay trailer (only just seen it this minute) he does seem to give the guy the cold shoulder.

I imagine the trailers have played safe with the details of the game's story as many marketing departments think than an american audience cannot handle themselves being portrayed in anything other than a favourable light. To honest I'd be happy with a token good Brit and a token american assassination just to say "hey not all british are evil pricks".

EDIT

somehow managed to quote you twice there :/

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
I'm fine, so long as in AC4 they decide to go with an Industrial Revolution setting and have a British protagonist.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Uh sorry to burst your bubble there Funk, but the Revolution was NOT a guerrilla war NOR would it have been one of the first.
Daystar Clarion said:
John Funk said:
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:

All I hear is "Waa-waa-waa-waa Why can't WE have an assassin?!"
As far as I know the Assasin is a British/Native American hybrid... If anyones not getting assasins its the Americans. xD. . . I mean, the only people who 'do' get an assasin this time around are pretty much extinct.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Nikolaz72 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Uh sorry to burst your bubble there Funk, but the Revolution was NOT a guerrilla war NOR would it have been one of the first.
Daystar Clarion said:
John Funk said:
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:

All I hear is "Waa-waa-waa-waa Why can't WE have an assassin?!"
As far as I know the Assasin is a British/Native American hybrid... If anyones not getting assasins its the Americans. xD. . . I mean, the only people who 'do' get an assasin this time around are pretty much extinct.
http://gamestatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/assassins_creed_3.jpg
Yep Real tea drinker this one.
I think it might have something to do with Marketing and Writers not working togeether properly. Marketing has decided to market him as American, although his heritage 'is' native american (And I think English, they might have changed it to fullblood native)

I personally think they couldnt have gone wrong with the Assasins logo in the background. American flag just seems so... Overused. I mean, Desmond is not Peter Parker (Not that Spiderman ever needed the Star-Sprangled Banner either)

Jun 7, 2010
John Funk said:
In all seriousness, this is actually an interesting thought. We have a great many readers from the various parts of Great Britain - do you feel that Assassin's Creed III is unfairly targeting you? Is it going to be odd playing a character who stalks and kills your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfathers?
Huh, Interesting...

Not at all really, me being scottish probably affects my stance greatly but i've never considered the idea that one or more of my ancestors may have been Redcoats before. I don't feel any sort of relation to them, they were alive 200 years ago and when you say "Redcoat" i immediatly think of an englishman. Any history buffs know about this? How much of these guys were Scottish?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Matthew94 said:
John Funk said:

Then what were we doing in World War I, World War 2 or the Suez Crisis?

I felt a bit off put when I saw that Britain would be an enemy faction. I am aware that this is hypocritical as if someone else was in my shoes I may have told them to suck it up in the past. Sometimes when I see the game it does bother me a bit but I recognise that this reaction is purely emotional and without merit. Ultimately I don't think any less of the game because of it and I will be giving it a look. Ubisoft are doing nothing wrong and whatever issues I have are just something I will have to deal with and work through.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
Well...I'm only a little bit annoyed at Ubisoft blatantly siding on the American side in terms of marketing. Ubisoft say they are not going to make the British the only villains but all I see in the trailers and gameplay is a fucking ton of British soldiers being killed by the assassin. Yes, there are some comments of neutrality in the trailer, but the actions within the trailer contradict it.

I doubt they are going to make this game one-sided and I don't harbor any negative feelings towards Ubisoft, I'm just disappointed at Ubisoft's marketing of the game.