Assassin's Creed III Location

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
After having a long talk with a friend of mine, I realized just how viable a game set in Feudal Japan would be. Now, the argument I hear a lot is that Christianity didn't exist in Japan during the Feudal period, which... is vastly incorrect. I suspect, if gone this route, the game would take place in the year 1637, during Shimabara Rebellion.

Christianity had begun to spread like wildfire throughout Japan's peasantry. The shogunate suspected that the Christians no longer had loyalty to their daimyō. The government began persecuting Christians. Thirty thousand Christians, ronin, and peasants rose up in rebellion, forcing the samurai to put them down.

Now, think of it like this. Japan is known for several things when it comes to 'badassery', one of the primary things being, of course, the Shinobi, or the man of shadow. What if Japan was a nation controlled by the Assassins? What if the Christian movement was an attempt of the templars to try to unseat them? You could also do the direct inverse. Assassins also seem to be Christian, more or less. What if the samurai class are templars? Discuss, and feel free to bring up other locations and arguments.

(And no, don't bring up France, or WWII. Ubisoft basically outright said no.)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Um... Most likely AC3 will take place in modern times, it's sort of what the whole series has been leading up to. At least going off of AC2. (haven't played brotherhood yet.)

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
I've read a few references to possible locations, and feudal Japan was one of them, which I think could be very interesting. And exceptionally beautiful to look at, as well.

I've also seen speculation about England, which could be good. There's a lot of history, characters, mad kings and locations to work with, and we've got a bit of a story with the Knights Templar and such.

Wherever it's based, I do think it needs to be in a time when guns are not really an option. What I love about AC is that it takes the assassinations more back to basics, you have to get up close and personal a lot of the time, you can't just rely on a sniper rifle for each one. And yes, I know Ezio had a pistol. Frankly, as long as there are still the hidden blades, I'll be a happy bunny.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Feudal Japan as a spinoff where you get to play as a Templar would be awesome.. Going in with your full plate, getting to fight Ninjas and Samurais.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Korten12 said:
Um... Most likely AC3 will take place in modern times, it's sort of what the whole series has been leading up to. At least going off of AC2. (haven't played brotherhood yet.)
Desmond will relive another ancestors memories before the modern day fight takes place.

But I have to agree with Victorian London, that'd just be... I mean Assassin's in Top Hats!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I can't think of anything I'd rather have than a Victorian London ASC game. The series is just made for it.

But yeah, not sure about Japan. It doesn't seem like it would fit with the rest of the series to me. It's a shame they said they wouldn't do France then, because a Revolution-era ASC game would be great.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Victorian London, everybody wants it! But Feudal Japan would be pretty cool too.

But... how are the Assassins meant to be Christians? Their base in the first game is near the three big cities and it's set during the Crusades... you know, that time when King Richard the Christian ruler of Britain decided to fuck up some of the Muslim peoples' shit? I can buy them being Christian during AC2 and AC:B but in the first game? No way in hell.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Yay Victorian London! Though it would be a bit disappointing if Desmond's ancestor at the time was a tuburculosis sufferer and you just spent the whole game going around coughing and having to sit down and rest all the time...

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
I got either Industrial Revolution England (because it's not just London, there's more cities that were equally important during that time period) or French Revolution France (because with the amount of stuff going on during that time, you can see some kind of Templar/Assassin action going down).

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
the AC series follows desmond's ancestors tbh theres a small chance of him being related to somone in feudal japan who also happens to be working for the Assassin Order fighting against the templars

TheCommie12

Feb 25, 2011
tanithwolf said:
Scythas said:
Victorian London!

Come on, you know you want it.
Right there with you, I'd also love to see a female assassin main character.
I'm with you :D but also my friend is always going on about this, like exactly what you guys said. I hope this is what they are going to do

Jibblejab

Apr 14, 2009
Lyiat said:
After having a long talk with a friend of mine, I realized just how viable a game set in Feudal Japan would be. Now, the argument I hear a lot is that Christianity didn't exist in Japan during the Feudal period, which... is vastly incorrect. I suspect, if gone this route, the game would take place in the year 1637, during Shimabara Rebellion.

Christianity had begun to spread like wildfire throughout Japan's peasantry. The shogunate suspected that the Christians no longer had loyalty to their daimyō. The government began persecuting Christians. Thirty thousand Christians, ronin, and peasants rose up in rebellion, forcing the samurai to put them down.

Now, think of it like this. Japan is known for several things when it comes to 'badassery', one of the primary things being, of course, the Shinobi, or the man of shadow. What if Japan was a nation controlled by the Assassins? What if the Christian movement was an attempt of the templars to try to unseat them? You could also do the direct inverse. Assassins also seem to be Christian, more or less. What if the samurai class are templars? Discuss, and feel free to bring up other locations and arguments.

(And no, don't bring up France, or WWII. Ubisoft basically outright said no.)
I love the idea of a feudal Japanese setting with some interaction with ronin, maybe using the brotherhood system of calling allies?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'm thinking... my god, I'm thinking...(!)

Anyway, I'm thinking French Revolutionary Wars/Napoleonic Wars, where you act as a displaced noble Hanoverian rake in British service, maybe a distant relative of the Duke of Brunswick. Plenty you could get out of that, with an endgame being the Battle of Waterloo where you're running around as a disguised soldier and need to snipe Napoleon... but miss and just hit de la Bedoyere or someone (yes, I realise he was executed in Paris a couple years later, but still). I think there is a sufficient number of figures who could be assassinated, such as Pierre-Charles Villeneuve, Jozef Poniatowski, Jean Lannes, Jeans-Baptiste Bessieres. Also, perhaps there could be a few missions in attempting (but failing) to keep people alive (Gerhard von Scharnhorst, Horatio Nelson, Prinz Ludwig-Ferdinand von Preussen, Prince Friedrich-Karl von Hohenlohe-Infelfingen and perhaps even Queen Louise).

Shitloads of material there...

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Russia circa the Bolshevik Revolution. Imagine assassinating Rasputin.

Over and over and

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Scythas said:
Victorian London!

Come on, you know you want it.
Yes! Like it! You play as an assassin called Geoffrey, and have to assassinate nobles with a variety of steampunk gear. If I wish hard enough this will happen.

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
You've also got to think of where they could put decent free running in. To me London would seem a damn good fit. The buildings were all tall and really closely packed together at the time. I admit I don't know much about history of feudal Japan, so I apologise if I'm wrong, but if I try picture it I don't see cities with tall closely packed buildings where free running would be easy to incorporate