Assassin's Creed III Review

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
The most recent trailer I watched was the protagonist swearing revenge against the British for destroying his village, and how he now stands for America. I can't take this game seriously cause I keep thinking to myself, "man, this guy's really gonna regret his decision pretty quickly."

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Rainboq said:
ProtoChimp said:
Rainboq said:
Milanezi said:
I KNOW I'M GONNA GET MASSACRED BUT... Doesn't anyone else wants this whole time machine thing to stop? I want a game in Desmond's time! Let's control HIM, the whole game, urban setting! The grand finale to the series!
I'd like to see one set during the buildup to either of the world wars, one set during the Spanish civil war or up to the assassination that triggered World War One (Think of how morally grey it'd be if the Assassins sparked World War One to fight the Templars?
1, it has already been established that the Templars caused WW1 & 2 for their own gains and means of control. 2, can you please tell me what your avatar says? It looks funny.
It says "Chaotic good - You guys can all go to hell, I'm going to rescue Helo." And what if the Templars made the powder keg, and then tricked the Assassins into killing a certain arch Duke?
And is it meant to be Michael bay? For some reason every time I zoom in it become all pixel-ly. And that could work really well. Also what's a powder keg?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
I'm glad you mentioned that Conner is an "equal" against the Red and Bluecoats as the marketing was borderline if not over the line uncomfortably... well...

The French-Canadians really did know how to market to America.
First rule of marketing: target the lowest common denominator and go from there. The absolute lowest. Happens all the time in superhero movie trailers.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Toilet said:
Am I the only one who thinks Assassins Creed is really boring? The only good Assassins Creed game was the first one due to its length and the fact that it got to the point while Assassins Creed 2 was so padded and long winded I had to force myself to finish.

Plus everything is mediocre and easy: the running is hold a button a push a stick forward, the combat is wait for a baddie to attack and push a button and the actual assassination missions are so far and few between calling the game is hardly about Assassins. Challenge is desperately needed.
I'm with you, IMO the series has gone on way too long and seems to be more about 'how many sequels can we make?' rather than having a coherent overarching story with a beginning, middle and end.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Milanezi said:
I KNOW I'M GONNA GET MASSACRED BUT... Doesn't anyone else wants this whole time machine thing to stop? I want a game in Desmond's time! Let's control HIM, the whole game, urban setting! The grand finale to the series!
Yeah, I was hyped for that after the first game was made and they claimed it would be a trilogy with the third being in the future (Desmond). The funny thing is unless this game finishes the Desmond plot, the whole 2012 apocalypse part of it will be a story of the past instead of the future. Desmond is now literally modern day.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Milanezi said:
Been wanting this since the first one.
The moment I saw him in the animus I went "why the fuck is he just dreaming of killing shit?".

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I lost interest in AC after Bro'hood. The single player was getting repetitive and dull and the multiplayer was just plain annoying (for me anyway). About the only thing I have interest in, is how Desmond's story plays out. (I'll just read it up)

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Still hugely disappointed at Ubisoft for deciding to set the game during the gawdem American Revolution. Really it is NOT as big a deal to the rest of the world and it seems to me the French Revolution would have provided a far more interesting (and far more morally grey) storyline.

Though I'm curious to see how "equal opportunity" the plot is as the review was fairly spoiler free, it seems to me that painting the British as the "bad guys" seems far to simplistic and doesn't really fit the more politically neutral tone of the rest of the series.
This basically killed any chance of me getting the game (well aside from the microtransactions). I really just don't care about the American revolution. To make me want to play an AC game I have to either be interested in the history, or at least enjoy the prettiness of the levels, and sadly this time around neither of those are offered.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Quite disappointed by this review, myself. I don't play Assassin's Creed for the combat mechanics. Tell us more about whether the story and characters are well served.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Toilet said:
Am I the only one who thinks Assassins Creed is really boring? The only good Assassins Creed game was the first one due to its length and the fact that it got to the point while Assassins Creed 2 was so padded and long winded I had to force myself to finish.

Plus everything is mediocre and easy: the running is hold a button a push a stick forward, the combat is wait for a baddie to attack and push a button and the actual assassination missions are so far and few between calling the game is hardly about Assassins. Challenge is desperately needed.
You just listed Assassin's Creed 1 and 2's problems together by the way.

Assassin's Creed 1 was one of the most repetitive triple A games I've ever played. It was recycled missions all up until the end with different targets. It was very good don't get me wrong, but far from a great game.

Brotherhood and Revelations were a great step up from Assassin's Creed 2 in my opinion. If you can get them cheaply I'd suggest doing so. Because I thought I was done with Assassin's Creed too until I played Revelations recently.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Still hugely disappointed at Ubisoft for deciding to set the game during the gawdem American Revolution. Really it is NOT as big a deal to the rest of the world and it seems to me the French Revolution would have provided a far more interesting (and far more morally grey) storyline.

Though I'm curious to see how "equal opportunity" the plot is as the review was fairly spoiler free, it seems to me that painting the British as the "bad guys" seems far to simplistic and doesn't really fit the more politically neutral tone of the rest of the series.
What do you think AC IV or whatever they will call it will be? Because you know that Ubisoft isn't going to end it here. You can count on it that they'll move it to France, and Ubisoft's true nationalism will show.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Lost interest in the franchise when they started milking it to the ridiculous degree they did.
Brotherhood had very little story, and not much innovation in the gameplay.
Revelation had no story, and the one or two things they added made the game objectively worse.
I'm done with Assassins Creed.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still have to wait till the 22nd for the pc version. but at least its nice to hear its good.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Well I just had my first semi-rage quit with the game. I pre-ordered so I should be able to get that sword that all the trailers were going on about, right? Well (I'm guessing) first you have to find 4 items for some jackass and one of them is on top of a mountain that I ran around three fucking times and there is no apparent way to ascend to its peak. The closest I've come is a jump that clearly the game says "Nope, you can't get up that way" when it's quite clear I should be able to make the jump.

Can't believe the game's only been out for one day and already I'm FORCED to wait until someone puts out a video showing how to get it. When I say I ran around this mountain 3 times I literally mean it, as much as the barriers in the game would allow, I've tried every conceivable avenue 3 times and not a single one works.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Milanezi said:
It WAS hugely important. Though indeed the French Revolution would have been more interesting. Funny though, there would be no American Revolution without the French Revolution, and my country, Brazil, along with most other South American countries, would NOT have sought freedom (at least not when we did) if not for the North American revolution. But again, the French Revolution would make much more sense as a sequel, and later the American Revolution, or Civil Wars, could do something interesting with Lincoln, poor bastard is becoming a puppet for everyone now anyway, might as well put him in an AC game hahaha
Yeah you're not entirely wrong about that...

The American Revolution both showed The French that "It can be done" and that "you don't need kings".

It also bankrupted the French State leading to a lot of the economic upheavals that eventually led to the revolution.

I think the main issue a lot of internationals have with Assassins Creed 3 being set during the American Revolution is that American's have enough games where they're the heroes. Assassins Creed was one of the FEW series's that didn't feature an American lead (other than Desmond, but nobody likes him anyway) and now for the sake of marketing it seems like Ubisoft has now taken Assassins Creed away from us by making a "Rah Rah American Revolution" game with a historical American character interacting with historical Americans, America America America with an extra side of America.

Basically, the game industry has enough goddamn America in it as is and now it has one more... that wasn't previously all America. Just feels worse is all.

captcha: Ace of Spades ^-^
How many games are there about the American Revolution? Seriously I can't believe so many people are upset about it taking place during this time period. The main character Conner is half Native American and half British. That kind of shows that he is pretty much hated by both sides of the war, and I've seen plenty of trailers pointing out that fact. Plus from a quick description of the game on TvTropes it says that he's only using the war is just a back story and he's only helping American historical figures so he can get closer to his targets.

Man people come up with the dumbest reasons for hating games, especially when they don't do their research.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
How many games are there about the American Revolution? Seriously I can't believe so many people are upset about it taking place during this time period. The main character Conner is half Native American and half British. That kind of shows that he is pretty much hated by both sides of the war, and I've seen plenty of trailers pointing out that fact. Plus from a quick description of the game on TvTropes it says that he's only using the war is just a back story and he's only helping American historical figures so he can get closer to his targets.

Man people come up with the dumbest reasons for hating games, especially when they don't do their research.
Same here. Although I only played Revelations a month or two ago and generally need to space these games out a bit to not get burnt out, the setting of Assassin's Creed 3 is just too good for me to pass up. I've been excited about seeing their take on the period since they first announced it. So far, it hasn't disappointed me.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
TheEscapist really needs to improve the quality of their reviews, not a single mention of glitch or the choppy frame rates.

Those are not rare glitches either, it pops up at a consistent rare that force you to notice and be annoyed. Did Greg really play through enough of the game before he reviews it? I do agree that it's the best AC game yet, but all the graphical and mechanical glitches should cost the game at least a star down.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
cricket chirps said:
Milanezi said:
Toilet said:

Plus everything is mediocre and easy: the running is hold a button a push a stick forward, the combat is wait for a baddie to attack and push a button and the actual assassination missions are so far and few between calling the game is hardly about Assassins.
It's not about assassins as we understand it, it's about hashashins (or something like that), which is the origin of the world Assassin, which was a clan of religious zealots in the middle east, wikipedia has more on the subject, sincerely, I never cared much to go after it ahahah.

I'm amazed you enjoyed the first game, most people, me included, hated it, it was ridiculously repetitive...
See this makes no sense to me, people say all the time how bad AC 1 was, then HOW did it become such a long and huge series exactly?

1,2, and bortherhood were good.
1: started the whole thing and gave us a game style we were not used to.
2: Vastly imporved upon 1 mechanicly and thematicly.
Brotherhood: Added a multiplayer aspect to a game that seemed it could not have one, AND IT WORKED!
Revelations: series dies for me, nothing in the aspect of improvement to me, same old stuff, beat the whole game and questioned why i spent all that time on it.
3: Sadly sounds exactly like revaltions, no improvements, "yay historical accuracy!" of an uninteresting time period, woot more multiplayer that you already have two games which hold essentialy the same thing.

._. i am dissapoint ubisoft, why? why am i so dissapoint?
I understand it. And I have no answer lol
I do have a guess: AC 1 was bad because it was repetitive, but everything else was at the very least promising. That's enough for a BIG company such as Ubisoft to go on with a remake anyway, and try to fix what people didn't like before (as they did). A great example of that is Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, I love that game, but as far as I know, nobody else did, however, not only did it get a continuation, another company took the responsibility to do so (and again, I'm the only one who also enjoyed it lol). Lesson to be learned: if AC had been produced by smaller company, it might never have had a continuation, no matter how promising the game was, the risk wouldn't be worth it, but big companies CAN take the chance with a bit more security...