Assassin's Creed III Review

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
T3hSource said:
Sorry,playing AssCreed 1,can't hear you over the interesting philosophical conflict between Altair and his enemies.
All I want is "assassinations",good ones,like those in which you can use stealth the entire time,the series always has had the potential to accomplish that,but they never do it,ever.Just add more distractions and be done with it.Also is Connor the only assassin in the entire game?No mention of the development of the Templars as an enemy faction,but I guess that falls into spoiler territory.And another big mini-game,because the last one didn't already show the "what do we do now" panic of the devs.
I guess I'm missing the point that people accept these series as "dickhead with a hood in past eras".I'm disappointed.
Hey another person who doesn't think Ezio is amazing. Glad to have company

This review is bullshit. They don't mention the horrendous visual problems the game has (for instance, in my game characters faces stopped moving in three different scenes. Just wooden heads with a speakerphone), or the semi-functional nature of a lot of the new mechanics. Such as the addition of free-aim ranged attacks, that don't let you use the weapon until the game paints the target. Which defeats the purpose entirely.

Now, it's very pretty to look at, and there's a lot of fun stuff to do, but this is not five-star game. The incredibly long tutorial mission set (which is supposed to have a plot twist, but you'll see if coming a mile away, even if you, like me, don't think it makes much sense) restricts your abilities immensely, and just isn't any fun. The graphics errors are worse than dishonored, which at worst makes you think your eyes are blurry, unlike this which makes you wonder who approved a game where the cast's animations can fail entirely. The gameplay is improved in some places, true, but in others (mostly the new stuff) its clunky and only works half the time.

Not bad enough to trade in, but in no way perfect

EDIT:
Also, I hate a lot of the character design choices. I don't like downgrading from the Hidden Gun to a pistol. I HATE the hidden knife. I want two blades on my wrists, not a detachable spring-loaded dagger.
Nor do I appreciate the game's default state having the HUD turned off.
But I need to stop or i'll be here all day, picking at annoyances

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Milanezi said:
I KNOW I'M GONNA GET MASSACRED BUT... Doesn't anyone else wants this whole time machine thing to stop? I want a game in Desmond's time! Let's control HIM, the whole game, urban setting! The grand finale to the series!
The game you're looking for is Watchdogs.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
ExtraDebit said:
Milanezi said:
I KNOW I'M GONNA GET MASSACRED BUT... Doesn't anyone else wants this whole time machine thing to stop? I want a game in Desmond's time! Let's control HIM, the whole game, urban setting! The grand finale to the series!
The game you're looking for is Watchdogs.
Very evil demonic grin of unquenchable desire: I WANT WATCHDOGS NOW

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ExtraDebit said:
TheEscapist really needs to improve the quality of their reviews, not a single mention of glitch or the choppy frame rates.

Those are not rare glitches either, it pops up at a consistent rare that force you to notice and be annoyed. Did Greg really play through enough of the game before he reviews it? I do agree that it's the best AC game yet, but all the graphical and mechanical glitches should cost the game at least a star down.
You know, people were always saying how Skyrim was one of the glitchiest games out there, but I never had any trouble playing the game and never ran into a single one and I couldn't help but wonder what everyone was talking about. It's perfectly possible that he just didn't get any, glitches aren't universal.

OT: Well, good to hear it's so good. I got it yesterday and I was looking forward to playing it...but I lost power because of Hurricane Sandy. I'll play it when I get the chance.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
T3hSource said:
Sorry,playing AssCreed 1,can't hear you over the interesting philosophical conflict between Altair and his enemies.
All I want is "assassinations",good ones,like those in which you can use stealth the entire time,the series always has had the potential to accomplish that,but they never do it,ever.Just add more distractions and be done with it.Also is Connor the only assassin in the entire game?No mention of the development of the Templars as an enemy faction,but I guess that falls into spoiler territory.And another big mini-game,because the last one didn't already show the "what do we do now" panic of the devs.
I guess I'm missing the point that people accept these series as "dickhead with a hood in past eras".I'm disappointed.
What's your problem with them again? They're fun and interesting, that's why I play them.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Still hugely disappointed at Ubisoft for deciding to set the game during the gawdem American Revolution. Really it is NOT as big a deal to the rest of the world and it seems to me the French Revolution would have provided a far more interesting (and far more morally grey) storyline.

Though I'm curious to see how "equal opportunity" the plot is as the review was fairly spoiler free, it seems to me that painting the British as the "bad guys" seems far to simplistic and doesn't really fit the more politically neutral tone of the rest of the series.
I was in favour of Victorian era britain, early on in the industrial revolution!

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Hmmm. I personally feel 5 is a little too much. There's a lot of little niggling issues. Getting caught on random debris when chasing people, occasional framerate drops, guard chases seem to last much longer than they did before. This is probably still the best AC game yet, but it's more of an evolution rather than revolution, and that alone, to me, means 4.5 is the cap.

And in case I haven't made it abundantly clear, the thing about the scores is just my opinion, I'm not saying the reviewer is wrong.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
ExtraDebit said:
TheEscapist really needs to improve the quality of their reviews, not a single mention of glitch or the choppy frame rates.

Those are not rare glitches either, it pops up at a consistent rare that force you to notice and be annoyed. Did Greg really play through enough of the game before he reviews it? I do agree that it's the best AC game yet, but all the graphical and mechanical glitches should cost the game at least a star down.
I experienced no graphical glitches or loss of framerate. The whole game feels really fluid and natural, actually, which is an achievement in itself with such a large world.

What version did you play? I've heard the PS3 version had more technical issues, but I played it on the Xbox 360.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
Rainboq said:
ProtoChimp said:
Rainboq said:
Milanezi said:
I'd like to see one set during the buildup to either of the world wars, one set during the Spanish civil war or up to the assassination that triggered World War One (Think of how morally grey it'd be if the Assassins sparked World War One to fight the Templars?
1, it has already been established that the Templars caused WW1 & 2 for their own gains and means of control. 2, can you please tell me what your avatar says? It looks funny.
It says "Chaotic good - You guys can all go to hell, I'm going to rescue Helo." And what if the Templars made the powder keg, and then tricked the Assassins into killing a certain arch Duke?
And is it meant to be Michael bay? For some reason every time I zoom in it become all pixel-ly. And that could work really well. Also what's a powder keg?

Also, a powder keg is a saying to describe an extremely volatile situation that will ignite and possibly explode beyond what some might call 'the Godzilla Threshold' very quickly.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Meh, the gameplay still looks slow and clunky. I think I'll stick to Tenchu and Shinobido.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
VaNilla said:
Anoni Mus said:
5 stars? Doubt it deserves it. How much the escapist gave to AC, AC II and AC Brotherhood?
You haven't played the game.
True. But a reviewer has an obligation to explain why a game is supposedly perfect in every way to justify such a score. In this case, he didn't do so.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Toilet said:
Am I the only one who thinks Assassins Creed is really boring?
I'm pretty bored by them too. If they were more Hitman-style where you can use stealth I'd own all of them. It's really too bad too, because I want to enjoy them.

The Navy combat looks like it could be fun though, and if I had friends that owned this game the Multiplayer sounds like a lot of fun.

thanks for the review.

Winterbird

Oct 3, 2012
It would have been much better to set the game during the Seven Years' War rather than the American Revolution, especially considering that the protagonist is Half-Native American.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Greg Tito said:
ExtraDebit said:

I experienced no graphical glitches or loss of framerate. The whole game feels really fluid and natural, actually, which is an achievement in itself with such a large world.

What version did you play? I've heard the PS3 version had more technical issues, but I played it on the Xbox 360.
I'm on the xbox 360, installed on hard disk, lots of graphical glitches and slow downs. Maybe everyone's standards are different but for me anything below 30fps is unacceptable, I rather have textureless graphics at 60fps over photo realism at 15.

And that's why AC3 runs on most of the time, 15 to 20 fps with the occasional drop spikes down to 10fps.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
SextusMaximus said:
What's your problem with them again? They're fun and interesting, that's why I play them.
My problem?Their story was OK,could have been great,but they devolved into a damn mess of ideas and twists.They still haven't fixed core problems of the formula,instead they just add more diversions,more padding,so you could feel it justifies your 60$/? purchase.Multiplayer is something completely different,it just continues The Ship's concept of stabbing.Now ask yourself why are the "fun and interesting",I have my reasons and justifications,can you point out yours?(not to me necessarily,but to yourself)

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Terramax said:
VaNilla said:
Anoni Mus said:
5 stars? Doubt it deserves it. How much the escapist gave to AC, AC II and AC Brotherhood?
You haven't played the game.
True. But a reviewer has an obligation to explain why a game is supposedly perfect in every way to justify such a score. In this case, he didn't do so.
The Escapist does not believe that 5 stars is a perfect game. Nothing on this Earth is perfect. To us, 5 stars means an exceptionally excellent game that may have a few faults that you should expect to have a ton of fun with.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
ExtraDebit said:
I'm on the xbox 360, installed on hard disk, lots of graphical glitches and slow downs. Maybe everyone's standards are different but for me anything below 30fps is unacceptable, I rather have textureless graphics at 60fps over photo realism at 15.

And that's why AC3 runs on most of the time, 15 to 20 fps with the occasional drop spikes down to 10fps.
Strange. I didn't notice that at all and I didn't even install it on the hard drive. Perhaps it is just a difference in perception. I notice framerate more on my PC when I'm sitting a few feet from the screen, but when I'm on the couch on a console, I usually don't see it.

Out of curiosity, how are you measuring framerate on your Xbox? I've never heard of a app or tool that lets you do that but it might be useful in the future.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
T3hSource said:
SextusMaximus said:
My problem?Their story was OK,could have been great,but they devolved into a damn mess of ideas and twists.They still haven't fixed core problems of the formula,instead they just add more diversions,more padding,so you could feel it justifies your 60$/? purchase.Multiplayer is something completely different,it just continues The Ship's concept of stabbing.Now ask yourself why are the "fun and interesting",I have my reasons and justifications,can you point out yours?(not to me necessarily,but to yourself)
Wide, sprawling beautifully designed and crafted work which clearly took hours of patient, passionate hands to design. You can go anywhere in the city / cities, pick fights with guards and choose your strategy to swiftly assassinate each one going unnoticed, brutally devastate them in hand to hand open combat or kill a select few and run away in to a chase. The gameplay is fun and flaws are few and far between (in gameplay). Granted the story could be worked on better, but I think it allows you to create your own story within the world, are you a murderer fueled by bloodlust, or a saint filled by wanderlust and virtue?
That's why I personally find it fun.