astral projection.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Tom Milner said:
[rant] ENOUGH!! i am sick to death of being criticized! and don't say it isn't, because it obviously is, lock this thread and post no more! this has been a disaster, and it should be left alone! [/end rant]
Im being polite, please dont have another rant on me, im genuinely curious.

In your mind was the thread going to be everyone agreeing that astral projection was real? Or something else? You asked for an opinion on a topic, people gave it, when one person makes an assertion and another makes another assertion its called discussion. Then the first person critisizes the second assertion while talking about his own, then the other person does the same. Its called a debate and its valid discussion? Whats wrong with critisism? I welcome it on my views, its a chance to talk about what i like in a friendly matter. Ill admit some people are being dicks and just mocking you, thats unfair, but many are just giving views on the topic. Maybe you are new at internet forums so ill help. Someone disagrees with you (politely, ignore the rest) throw out a counter statement, talk about the issue.

I had a goddam poem battle in this thread, it isnt serious, its pleasant conversation about a topic. Ignore those who mock you, talk to those who offer an opposing opinion. Being critisised is GOOD. If your opinion holds water it should be able to stand a little strutany. Is it so weak it cant take even the slightest counter opinions? I invite anyone to critique me and my views. Its how we learn.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
xdom125x said:
I don't do it much at all, primarily due to the fact that there are no proveable ways to actually do it.
the Dept of Science said:
I'm not too hot on what astral projection is exactly,
It's the belief that people can project their consciousness outside of their body.
but there is something silly about all these people asking for verifiable external proof of what looks like an internal experience. It would be like demanding proof of someone's dream.
That isnt a good analogy because people that claim that astral projection is a real thing are saying that they can observe objective reality beyond the confines of their body. A dream is fictional.

I don't doubt that some people have an experience of astral projection. I do however deny that it has any supernatural cause/significance. Our brains are capable of producing some weird experiences, through hypnosis, meditation, drugs or otherwise. If a hypnotist can make a man truly believe that he is a barnyard animal, a man should be able to make himself truly believe that he is out of his body.
So the people that "have experienced" astral projection just had their minds playing tricks on them, right?
I think you are agreeing with me?

All I'm saying is that it's a wholly mental phenomenon. I think that you are mistaken if you believe that your mind is somehow physically leaving your body, but you can't deny that you have had the experience. People can disconnect themselves from bodily sensation through meditation, out of body experiences aren't uncommon on LSD trips, this just sounds like a variation on that.

EDIT: In fact, if you take away the spiritual/new age language and research "out of body experiences", then you will find that they are very scientifically well documented:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-body_experience

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Octogunspunk said:
Genuine supernatural occurences are frequently branded insane by those who lack the ability to experience them.
That would be everyone outside comic books.

Well I do it every night, I astrally project into various girls panties but they never seem to remember afterwards... it's quite odd that.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
Batou667 said:
Tom Milner said:
i can provide a step by step of how to AP,

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
Fantastic! What are the steps?
lie down in a bed, or sit in a chair, but you must be comfortable, start repeating a word or sound constantly in your head, until you no longer need effort to keep repeating that thought. (this can be a bit tricky) you will after a short while feel a slight sinking feeling, and then your body going stiff and unmoveable, do not resist this. once paralysis is complete, ensure the thought or sound is still looping. you should start to feel a tingling sensation, when it gets to the point of being spread throught your body. it's time to leave. know (don't visualise, just know that it is there) there is a rope hanging above you, with your mind, grasp the rope and pull your self hand over hand out of your body. get up and open your eyes, if you have done it right, you can look at your unconcius whilst being in astral form. to re-enter your body, simply go into contact with it, and you will wake up in physical form.

cloone8

Mar 29, 2011
thaluikhain said:
cloone8 said:
I... I have lost my faith in humanity once again....
If I were to tell you I could find it for you using my psychic powers, would you feel better or worse?
I guess there is only one way to find out, is there? :-D

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Tom Milner said:
Batou667 said:
Tom Milner said:

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
lie down in a bed, or sit in a chair, but you must be comfortable, start repeating a word or sound constantly in your head, until you no longer need effort to keep repeating that thought. (this can be a bit tricky) you will after a short while feel a slight sinking feeling, and then your body going stiff and unmoveable, do not resist this. once paralysis is complete, ensure the thought or sound is still looping. you should start to feel a tingling sensation, when it gets to the point of being spread throught your body. it's time to leave. know (don't visualise, just know that it is there) there is a rope hanging above you, with your mind, grasp the rope and pull your self hand over hand out of your body. get up and open your eyes, if you have done it right, you can look at your unconcius whilst being in astral form. to re-enter your body, simply go into contact with it, and you will wake up in physical form.
Can anyone do this? Alright, im biting, ill give this a try. Does the word or sound matter? Id pick project i guess, to focus? Can i go anywhere from floating around? Could i win this prize with this? Can i definitively prove i can see things? For example with my eyes closed and blindfolded, could i read something written on a note on my body? How long can i project for? Does time pass? How long do i need to do this for?

I WILL try this. Honestly. Does it take practice or can i do this first go?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
J03bot said:
Hazy992 said:
No but I command control over dairy products with my mind
Yeah? Well I'm lactose intolerant, so you have no power over me!
By ingesting dairy products and lots of beans, you can have breathtaking power over wind and a little more solid matter. Or... summon up uncontrollable forces of wind.

How's that for a first foray into the ethereal?

It's real, it works. But you must be strong and always have some extra pants on you.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
Tom Milner said:
Batou667 said:
Tom Milner said:

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
In this case you will be easily able to prove your statement. Just have someone draw anything on a piece of paper, lie down, and do your trick without first looking at the paper. Then the other person puts that paper on your chest and after you returned, you should be able to tell what was on the paper.
Alternatively, and if the range of your projection is sufficient, tell us all the colour of the wall of the house currently in construction at these coordinates:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=50.922099,+6.373731&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&ll=50.921969,6.373975&spn=0.001393,0.002401&z=19&iwloc=A

Without any kind of proof along these lines (a house closer to you would work too, I guess), you just described basic sleep paralysis.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
BiscuitTrouser said:
Tom Milner said:
Batou667 said:
Tom Milner said:

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
Can anyone do this? Alright, im biting, ill give this a try. Does the word or sound matter? Id pick project i guess, to focus? Can i go anywhere from floating around? Could i win this prize with this? Can i definitively prove i can see things? For example with my eyes closed and blindfolded, could i read something written on a note on my body? How long can i project for? Does time pass? How long do i need to do this for?

I WILL try this. Honestly. Does it take practice or can i do this first go?
to answer your questions:
1. it doesn't matter, but preferably simple.
2. you can't go too far, otherwise the link to your body will be severed, making it an open target for other spirits to hijack.
3. you can (to a limited extent) manipulate physical objects.
4. your astral form is unbound by your physical form, so a blindfold shouldn't hinder your astral self.
5. you reading skill is unchanged
6. only at night, when you see the sun coming up, get back to your body double time.
7. time does pass.
8. not everyone gets it first time, so be patient with it.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
Thaliur said:
Tom Milner said:
Batou667 said:
Tom Milner said:

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
In this case you will be easily able to prove your statement. Just have someone draw anything on a piece of paper, lie down, and do your trick without first looking at the paper. Then the other person puts that paper on your chest and after you returned, you should be able to tell what was on the paper.
Alternatively, and if the range of your projection is sufficient, tell us all the colour of the wall of the house currently in construction at these coordinates:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=50.922099,+6.373731&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&ll=50.921969,6.373975&spn=0.001393,0.002401&z=19&iwloc=A

Without any kind of proof along these lines (a house closer to you would work too, I guess), you just described basic sleep paralysis.
i cannot project that far, i can only travel about a kilometre. and i will look into james randi's offer, it sounds intresting.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Hazy992 said:
No but I command control over dairy products with my mind
Great scott! You wouldn't happen to be any relation to this guy?

On Topic, to the OP, this isn't really the forum to admit to having New Age or Mystic beliefs, you are about to get insulted into Narnia, although hilariously enough, vitually everyone on this forum believes at least partially that they do have some form of mild psychic ability to predict stuff
(there was a thread about supernatural abilities you may possess earlier this year, and it went on for several pages, virtually every person's post was along the lines of "I don't believe in psychics, but I have an uncanny ability to predict the time/the weather/where my cat is")

I shall give a psychic cookie to whoever can find me that thread.
Indeed. There are some strange variations on opinionatedness on this website. Personally, I'm not going to disbelieve it, but I don't generally accept it either. You come up to me "dude, I can read your mind/give you a headache with my thoughts, etc" I'll generally give you a slap and move on. That said, it's interesting to read about...

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Octogunspunk said:
Genuine supernatural occurences are frequently branded insane by those who lack the ability to experience them.
Odd phenomena with mundane explanations are frequently decried as magic by the small minded.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Tom Milner said:
Batou667 said:
Tom Milner said:

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
I hate to be the eternal sceptic, but that sounds suspiciously like a Wake Induced Lucid Dream [http://lucid.wikia.com/wiki/Wake_Initiated_Lucid_Dream].

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
Daverson said:
Tom Milner said:
Batou667 said:
Tom Milner said:

it is NOT a lucid dream.
it is NOT self hypnosis.
it is NOT a lie.
I hate to be the eternal sceptic, but that sounds suspiciously like a Wake Induced Lucid Dream [http://lucid.wikia.com/wiki/Wake_Initiated_Lucid_Dream].
the two work on similar logic, i know it's weird, i think it's weird. but that's how it is i'm afraid.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
Tom Milner said:
i cannot project that far, i can only travel about a kilometre. and i will look into james randi's offer, it sounds intresting.
OK, a kilometre, while still impressive in itself if true, is quite a limited range for such house-wall-colour-proofs.
I'd just like to add that I, too, was, for quite some time, convinced that I had similar abilities until I realised one day that my room looked different after I "returned". After that, I still did the same, but more as a memory/concentration/relaxation exercise, for which it is an awesome technique.
I started trying to reconstruct text on a page (not just the contents, also every last detail of its arrangement), objects I had on my desk (for example, a pencil, including scratches in the varnish) and later tried my whole room.
I didn't do these exercises for a long time now, but I remember that they, at least in case of imagining my room, really felt like I was leaving my body. Occasionally I tried introducing differences, just to make sure I was still working from memory.
I lost a lot of that ability, but a few years ago I was able to read a book, and later find a specific text passage by leafing through the book until I found the page with the right layout.
It didn't work so well for exams, though. I guess images really do take up more space than text, digital or not...

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
MY BODY LIES OVER THE OCEAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
MY BODIES LIES OVER THE SEAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'M NO GOOD AT ASTRAL PROJECTION
SO BRING BACK MY BODY TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not meaning to be an asshole, but I will genuinely give somebody all of my Steam Christmas gifts if they can use their ability to tell me the entire contents of my DVD shelf. It's alphabetised and everything.

This really, really isn't the sort of forum where you want to speak about things like that. You probably want to speak about it somewhere else, preferably where others who actually believe in supernatural events like to hang out.

Also, as a word of advice, I wouldn't say that it's a good idea to speak about it as though it's already a given that it's real. You may have an unshakable faith in it, but very few others will. Talking about the mystical as though everybody believes in it is a one-way ticket on the express train to flametown.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Tom Milner said:
That sounds extremely much like a self-induced trance, followed by a completely internal experience.