Atari Reveals Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The original Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 are still remarkably beautiful games. I horsed around with BG1 recently, experimented with running it at higher resolutions, setting it up in the BG2 engine and so forth, and none of that satisfied me quite as much as simply playing it in its original resolution. Beauty and artfulness does not necessarily mean high resolution.

That said, I'm really looking forward to discovering what the EE offers. There's been absolutely zero information released beyond what's in the original report, but we'll definitely keep you posted.
What are you talking about they have said plenty. It's a remake of the first game with a enhanced edition of BG2 later, going to keep the same 2nd edition D&D rules, only going to be on Beamdog, a full remake of the infinity engine, will fully embrace modding, have new content, are going to keep the same 2d isometric feel as the originals and they are trying to have multiple languages. That sounds like a bit more than you said. Look at my post above yours as well.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Imbechile said:
Baby Tea said:
Imbechile said:
What's the point of this ??????????
Baldur's gate looks very good even by today's standards.

If, hovewer, they are adding turn-based combat, the I'll be all over it :D
The combat is already turn based.
The combat isn't turn-based it's real-time with pause. Two diffrent things.
It's actually secretly turn based. Everything in the combat engine works around the concept of a "round", you have a set number of attacks per round*, and you can cast one spell or use one item per round. A round is six seconds long (which is, in certainly older D&D books, the amount of time a combat round is supposed to represent).

* Because 2e was counterintuitive at every possible opportunity, you could have half numbers of attacks per round.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
GloatingSwine said:
BreakfastMan said:
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!
Y'know, I don't think Bioware really need Kickstarter funding...
It actually is not Bioware that is making this, if I remember correctly. It is a bunch of former Bioware devs. And if they need monehs to make Baldur's Gate III, I am willing to rob a bank for them.[footnote]Note: Not actually willing to rob a bank. Blind fanboyism can only go so far.[/footnote]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
Holy crap new tweet. "We want BG3 as well. BGEE is a part of the master plan." Well there you go people want BG3 support them.
Can do, good sir, can do! Still have not got around to playing the first game in the series, so this will give me a great opportunity to do so.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I had so much fun gibbing the xvarts in bg1. Then reloading the fight 800 times until I finally got lucky and beat the shadow dragon and the demilich in bg2 for their phat lewtz.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
I've played Baldur's gate 2 once, and although i liked it, it was really hard to understand because all the stats we shown in a way that only D&D players (if i'm correct) could understand. i hope that they change that. so the the same stats of the game are there but they are shown in a way normal for video games these days. not because i have any problem with D&D but it is really not logical for someone who never played that game, and i saw the Manuel of Baldur's gate. i like my game deep, but i don't want to read a book just to play it.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I'm not very optimistic about this. I smell another Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. A high-def "Remake" that totally and utterly destroys the game by changing key gameplay features.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Nikolaz72 said:
Lets hope it doesnt get turned into an 4th ed, actionRPG.
It's going to keep the 2nd edition D&D rules. They have been constantly saying new info on their twitter but the news here is very slow to update.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I've debated for a while whether or not to get the original Baldur's Gate's but decided not to cos they probably don't hold up but now I can get this version. (and see what all the people who hate current BW liked in its 'glory days')

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
Nikolaz72 said:
It's going to keep the 2nd edition D&D rules. They have been constantly saying new info on their twitter but the news here is very slow to update.
Thank the gods, I dont want another Neverwinter.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
BreakfastMan said:
Not as good as Baldur's Gate III, but it will do... For now. I fully expect and want the original devs to create a kickstarter for III, that will greatly succeed and create a new one. Make it happen, says I!
You do realize that all the rights to Baldur's Gate and D&D lie with Atari right?
No, they don't. WotC didn't like the way Atari was treating their property and successfully sued to retract those rights. If Atari is doing this, it is likely with WotC's blessing.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Nikolaz72 said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Yeah, who would want another Neverwinter, one of the most awesome examples of mod-friendly game design ever made that is still played by thousands of people?

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Nikolaz72 said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Yeah, who would want another Neverwinter, one of the most awesome examples of mod-friendly game design ever made that is still played by thousands of people?
Not that Neverwinter, The other neverwinter. The dungeoncrawler game that came up not too long ago.

You are talking about NEVERWINTER NIGHTS.

Im talking about NEVERWINTER.

Short for Bioware game. NWN.
Short for this game. NW.

Time spent playing NWN. 1000hourscountingwithsequels.
Time spent crying about NW. 1000hourscounting.

Dont jump to conclusions. I said Neverwinter not Neverwinter Nights. Friggin geeze.

Taronus

Dec 31, 2011
Hope that sells, so maybe we get Planescape Torment, the only thing that game needs is better visuals.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
80Maxwell08 said:
BreakfastMan said:
You do realize that all the rights to Baldur's Gate and D&D lie with Atari right?
No, they don't. WotC didn't like the way Atari was treating their property and successfully sued to retract those rights. If Atari is doing this, it is likely with WotC's blessing.
Fair enough the point was that the original devs didn't own the rights.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
80Maxwell08 said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Changing the ruleset would almost certainly mean redoing every area to ensure an appropriate challenge curve because not everything is the same across rule versions. As it is they only need some slight tweaks to the most annoying areas.