Atheists who celebrate X-mas

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
CK76 said:
It really is selfish how people want to spend time with family, give gifts and just be pleasant while not believing in supernatural beings.
*Slow Clap*

OT: I have a very buddhist approach to life and people always ask me 'If your buddhist, then why do you celebrate christmas?'

Before I punch them in the face for being so hypocritical I point out that most of the people who ask me aren't christian and still celebrate christmas. Even before I became buddhist my family celebrated christmas as a time for giving and bringing the family together. And presents. Never forget the presents. :D

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
Ya'll posting in a troll thread. Paper thin disguise to make both atheists and Christians alike rant about how Christmas was never about Christ or how a holiday with Christ in it is obviously about Christ.

I can't believe 13 pages of Escapists got suckered into it, and they're all saying the same things! I thought you guys were better than this.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
More like agnostic, but I celebrate it, not out of any religious devotion, but more because it's a great opportunity to spend time with my family.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Rorschach II said:
Before I punch them in the face for being so hypocritical I point out that most of the people who ask me aren't christian and still celebrate christmas. Even before I became buddhist my family celebrated christmas as a time for giving and bringing the family together. And presents. Never forget the presents. :D
Remember, family and presents are impermanent. The desire for presents will only lead you to suffering!

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
ioxles said:
Saint Nicholas is a Christian Saint, of East European (german?) origin, coloured by Coca Cola and dumped in the North Pole.
If I remember correctly it originated in one of the Scandinavian countries (Norway methinks) where a rich guy felt sorry for some of the poorer people and decided to give them some coins in secret but the snow meant that the only way into peoples' houses was via the chimney (standard thing to do back then). It just so happened to occur around the time of the Pagan holiday. At least that's what I've heard.

But yeah, it's not about the religous side of things any more it's just a bank holiday where everyone stuffs themselves silly, gets drunk and argues of the shitty presents sent around :p. That could just be my house though ....

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
akibawall95 said:
I think Christmas is no longer just a religious holiday.
This just might revolutionise society as we know it.....
Sarcasm aside, nobody, Christian or not, should tell people who can or can't celebrate Christmas. If you're going to celebrate, celebrate, but it's a bit much for any Christian to tell atheists not to celebrate it - especially since most Christians celebrate it in the same way as everyone else: Very materialistically. (Just to clarify I am a Christian, I think your friends are wrong)

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
Scout Tactical said:
Ya'll posting in a troll thread. Paper thin disguise to make both atheists and Christians alike rant about how Christmas was never about Christ or how a holiday with Christ in it is obviously about Christ.

I can't believe 13 pages of Escapists got suckered into it, and they're all saying the same things! I thought you guys were better than this.
If anything's a troll post, THAT was.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
fordneagles said:
Maybe there is a God/higher power, maybe there isn't. I really don't care what people believe in, as long as everyone is nice to each other, because that's kinda the point really.

Besides, most religions say you're going to hell (or equivalent of) if you don't belong to their religion, and since you can only belong to one religion, we're all stuffed anyway :p

I reckon enjoy good food, good wine and good company, don't get too immersed in the whole materialistic side of things, go to church if you want to or don't go if you don't want to, and see the whole thing as a time of togetherness instead of theorizing who should and shouldn't be allowed to celebrate Christmas
That's quite a succinct way of putting it. I'm Christian, and I agree with what this person here said.
Draconalis said:
razer17 said:
No one know when Jesus was born, but it was basically allotted that period of time because it seemed a good place to say it occurred.
My knowledge of Christian fiction is somewhat lacking, but I think it's theorized that Jesus was born in the summer. Mary and Joseph were on their way to the city to pay their taxes when Jesus was born. Though no dates were given, historically, people paid their taxes in the summer months.
It was a census, wasn't it? The king called a census, so every man had to go with his family back to his home town (In this case, Bethlehem) to be counted.

ninetails593

Nov 18, 2009
THEAFRONINJA said:
ninetails593 said:
THEAFRONINJA said:
Yeah, although it's debatable whether or not it was ever truly a religious holiday. I'm atheist and I celebrate it, not for the presents (although, yeah, that's cool) but because it's a peaceful, happy day that brings people together.
No. It has never been debatable as to whether or not it was ever a religious holiday. It has always been the most important holiday of any Christian or Catholic church. The only thing that has changed about it is the traditions. I don't know WHERE exactly you got this idea, but I can tell you that it is complete, utter, bullshit.
Christ, calm down. It is very easily debatable, seeing as the Christians weren't the ones that first celebrated it. So my bad, I should've said it's debatable whether or not it's a Christian holiday, not religious. I worded that incredibly poorly.

And the most important of any Christian Church? Don't you think you're speaking for an entire culture there? I've met Christians that consider Easter to be far more important.
That's because they both mark the most important moments of Christianity. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, people started giving out presents when Saint Nicholas started the tradition. For that matter I want to know, who the hell do you actually think started celebrating Christmas?
More Christian atheism: "Christ, calm down."

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
ninetails593 said:
THEAFRONINJA said:
ninetails593 said:
THEAFRONINJA said:
Yeah, although it's debatable whether or not it was ever truly a religious holiday. I'm atheist and I celebrate it, not for the presents (although, yeah, that's cool) but because it's a peaceful, happy day that brings people together.
No. It has never been debatable as to whether or not it was ever a religious holiday. It has always been the most important holiday of any Christian or Catholic church. The only thing that has changed about it is the traditions. I don't know WHERE exactly you got this idea, but I can tell you that it is complete, utter, bullshit.
Christ, calm down. It is very easily debatable, seeing as the Christians weren't the ones that first celebrated it. So my bad, I should've said it's debatable whether or not it's a Christian holiday, not religious. I worded that incredibly poorly.

And the most important of any Christian Church? Don't you think you're speaking for an entire culture there? I've met Christians that consider Easter to be far more important.
That's because they both mark the most important moments of Christianity. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, people started giving out presents when Saint Nicholas started the tradition. For that matter I want to know, who the hell do you actually think started celebrating Christmas?
Technically Pagans started the Christmas tradition. I don't want to get into arguments here, but it is a proven fact that long before the Christian Christmas the pagans had their Winter Solstice festivities on December 25th and a lot of our modern Christmas traditions came from the original pagan ones (such as the Christmas tree)

Again, not wanting to start an argument.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
rockera said:
the7ofswords said:
rockera said:
well according to the bible Jesus was born on the 25 November but quite a few studies all put his birth in all different dates so I can either believe people who wrote a book about an all powerful and supernatural and conveniently invisible being or scientists. so I don't celebrated Christmas for Jesus's birth, more for saint nick's spirit of giving and carrying it on.
Umm ... no. Go look at your Bible. Seriously. Now show me where the date is given.

It amazes me what people seem to think is in the Bible. How can you call this your holy book, and still be so ignorant about what's actually written in it?
1) I don't call the bible my "holy book"
2)and I am pretty sure it's says that Jesus was born on the 25 December.
I don't understand the problem with #1. Don't Christians consider the Bible their holy book? (I know I did, when I used to be a Christian.)

As for number 2, if you really believe that, you're proving your ignorance.

Seriously, GO LOOK IT UP.

There is NO Mention of ANY date for Jesus' birth anywhere in the Bible. They can't even pin-point a YEAR, much less an actual DATE.

But thanks for proving my point.

~Cheers!

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
I celebrate Christmas (non-Christian that I am), my Jewish friend celebrates Christmas, and my Muslim cousin celebrates Christmas. It stopped being a religious holiday a loooong time ago.

For me, it's more about the spirit of the holiday, the joy of giving and spending time with friends and/or family. These are the things I love about Christmas. And the carols, there's something ever so enchanting about them.

ninetails593

Nov 18, 2009
KefkaCultist said:
ninetails593 said:
THEAFRONINJA said:
ninetails593 said:
THEAFRONINJA said:

Technically Pagans started the Christmas tradition. I don't want to get into arguments here, but it is a proven fact that long before the Christian Christmas the pagans had their Winter Solstice festivities on December 25th and a lot of our modern Christmas traditions came from the original pagan ones (such as the Christmas tree)

Again, not wanting to start an argument.
I'm not trying to start an argument either, but in that case Christmas would still be Christmas, not the Winter Solstice.