Atheists who celebrate X-mas

Edorf

May 30, 2010
While I know christmas is nothing about religion anymore, I cant help to find it ironic when the Jews celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ :)

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
My family isn't religious, but we celebrate christmas (Family, Food, and Presents). I guess it's because we originate from a christian culture, so we celebrate easter too (the chocolate bunny kind, not the zombie-Jesus kind).

JackKrauserFtw

May 21, 2008
akibawall95 said:
I think Christmas is no longer just a religious holiday I believe in god but I know several atheists who celebrate X-mas and some of my other Christian friends do not think they should be celebrating if they do not believe in Christ but I believe it has gone past that to just a holiday to come together and show each other we care.
I hate people that bring up this stupid topic, the Christmas that we celebrate these days has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the christian Christmas, what we celebrate is a Pagan celebration of the winter solstice, nothing more. In the old testament the giving of gifts was abolished, so Christians really need to get over this whole "Put the Christ back in Christmas" thing, seriously its as much our holiday as it is anyone elses

Griff

Aug 27, 2008
Well I'm an Atheist but if you show me part of the best bits of Christianity, Good will, giving, and generally an excuse to make merry. Just because I don't believe in a God doesn't mean those aren't things I can get behind.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Christmas was never originally about Christianity they just Hi-Jacked it. Besides why the hate on the atheists and Celebrating Christmas remember "Turn The Other Cheek" not to mention any Christian who has a problem with me Celebrating it getting together, having a good time and all that good stuff can kiss my rear end.

Aug 26, 2008
Yeah it was never about christianity really. It's all pagan, roman whatever a big mix. As an anti-theist I don't really "celebrate" it it's just nice to have a time of year when we give each other presents, makes ya feel good. Let's just pencil that in on the calender and do away with the disgusting religious connections shall we? Generosity Day.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Atheist here. Well I think my beliefs more closely fall under the umbrella of agnosticism, but we'll let that slide for now.

I was raised as a Christian and so my family has always celebrated Christmas. As a child I went to midnight mass every Christmas Eve. Over the years my Christmas has become more and more divorced from the Christian aspects, though admittedly it was always about Santa for me anyway.

It's very true that in the US Christmas is about gifts and maybe about spending time with family, not about Christ.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
I'm an atheist and i celebrate christmas because its a time of the year where eeryones together and having a good time i don't care what they call it
EDIT: But the wierd thing is I think I only celebrate it because i live in a christian country and I'm surrounded by others who celebrate it, if I was living in india for example I don't think I would bother

DJROC

Dec 15, 2010
"There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say, Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, -- apart from the veneration due to its sacred origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that, -- as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-travellers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, Uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!"

biGBum333

Aug 26, 2010
im christian and our family is christian. but we've all been caring less and less for christmas this year so i really dont think it matters. besides atheists are allowed a holiday too.

bladecuttersedge

Sep 4, 2009
Xmas = spending time with family and friends, getting presents, eating lots of food and getting drunk.
I personally have no feelings one way or another about the religious aspect, but my parents still go to mass. My girlfriend loves christmas (excluding the whole religion thing), especially the whole decorating the xmas tree - I find this hilarious as she's jewish

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
DMonkey said:
Whats not to love about christmas?
Shit, I'm as agnostic as it gets, and I friggin LOVE it!

Family
Eggnog
Presents
Eggnog
Ham
Eggnog
Laughing at dad when he insists on reading Mark before opening presents
Eggnog
Getting shit face with friends and singing carols even though none of us knows the words
EGGNOG (with rum)

Christmas rocks!

Though, Halloween kicks its ass.
What is eggnog?

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
I am what you call an "Atheist de facto", but I still celebrate X-mas. It's a nice way to get together with your family and just relax. Eat and share love in form of little presents. If you haven't noticed most people have already removed the word Crhist in christmas and just call it X-mas.

I guess since X-mas was so big, all the kids who didn't celebrate it (atheist families) felt like outcasts. That's why X-mas is a global celebration no matter what you believe in. Just the name differs. Hanukkah, Crhistmas, X-mas, Kwanza all that good stuff.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Well, in Denmark Jul (our word for christmas) dates back ealier than christianitys entrance in Denmark, and prolly does so in a lot of other countries, as a celebration of the sun starting to stay longer on the sky.

Besides, seeing how christians are supposed to spread "the truth" to others shouldn't they rejoice that people celebrate what they belive to be a christian holiday?
Guess the relegious message they claim to belive in matters less than "this is mine, you're not good enough to have it" thoughts...

Funily enough, christianity isn't really original here, since a lot of relegions before it has used more or less the same template for their sun gods, as christianity uses for jesus, since a whole fucking lot of the myth is based on astrologi, and sun worship.

this video explains it from about 13 minnutes in where they start talkin about the sun and stars, and untill the 40 minnute mark where part 1 ends.

http://www.zeitgeistthefilm.com/

Don't watch it if you dislike people questionign your faith in christianity

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
CK76 said:
It really is selfish how people want to spend time with family, give gifts and just be pleasant while not believing in supernatural beings.
I know, right? We should totally spend all of our time celebrating a brutal torture and murder instead of some jolly guy who's dedicated his immortal life to bringing joy to children. How immoral.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I dont celebrate Christmas. My family goes, and I go to their parties, but personally I consider this to be Saturnaila.
So Yo Saturnaila everyone!

Mar 30, 2010
Sightless Wisdom said:
Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity, never did. The pagans made it an the Christans stole and renamed it. Now it's a commercial holiday celebrated by most people regardless of religion. People like getting gifts and spending money, why not celebrate it?
Pretty much what I was gonna post. As bizarre as it may sound, OP, your thread would be just as accurate entitled 'Christians who celebrate X-mas'. Yuletide celebrations were going on long before Christianity came along and they simply jumped onboard the commercial bandwagon just like modern day atheists are doing.

As to why celebrate X-mas? It's a time of year when all your friends, family and loved ones gather for a party, what's not to celebrate about that?