ATI CARD ROUNDUP

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
As a poor person who uses a Radeon card (a really old one that sorely needs to be replaced but I'm too poor to do so), I'm offended!

And this is in no way related to the fact that I don't have a five-foot-long twin-shafted dongle.
I'm with you on that one, on both counts.

Oh to have a flashy nVidia card and five-foot-long twin-shafted dongle.. a man can dream.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I loved it :D

I used both cards in the past. But these days I don't trust Nvidia as far as I can throw them. That 970 fiasco was hilarious. And then the fact that G-sync is proprietary just rubs me the wrong way. Since AMD has fixed their frame latency issue I see no reason to use Nvidia anymore. I'm getting a Free-Sync monitor soon too!

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
You either admit you spent a shitload of money for fancy graphics, or that you can't afford to.

I spent a shitload of money. The fact that I gave it to NVidia is new, however, my last few flagship cards were AMD, back when they were still called ATI. In fact the 5850 in my old machine was probably the last card to still bear the ATI branding, before they stopped building cards themselves.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh my. I could feel the smug in this one.

And I loved it. I'm off to enjoy my GTX980 and this literal monster-cock of mine.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Nvidia makes better cards. They have way shittier business practices. Any software that AMD designs is pretty much open source. So I'll be waiting to see if they come out with something new.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
Nvidia makes better cards. They have way shittier business practices. Any software that AMD designs is pretty much open source. So I'll be waiting to see if they come out with something new.
Sometimes... But one thing I learnt from the dev side of things (well, 2 actually) is ati and now AMD atruggle to write effective drivers.

And, crucially, even when technically ati has had better hardware, the fact that it isn't identical at a low level has hurt them.

Remember games with that "the way it's meant to be played" nonsense? That's Nvidia basically bribing game devs (with free hardware, in depth technical assistance, and sometimes even cash), to put in a lot of work optimising their games specifically for the way nvidia cards work, and for including proprietary, non-standard features that ati couldn't match not for techical, but purely for legal reasons.

They both tried to do this, but nvidia managed it way more often.
End result, large numbers of games optimised for the specific quirks of nvidia cards. Which then ran faster on nvidia than ati, not because of better hardware, but better optimisation. (which nvidia paid for)

Some things were also bad predictions. x1000 series cards had too little texture fill performance, and too much shader performance. Because ati expected this to be the future trend. But this never happened in the life of these cards, so you end up with something which was weak in the most important capability for games of that era, and strong in something that wasn't used much...

Still, they've always had better luck in the midrange. My 5770 was absurdly powerful for what it costed. Easily matched anything from the generation before it, even though it was only a midrange card...

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Ha! Shows what you know. I'm very happy with the 4 gig of VRAM I got for a mere £200. You're probably looking at almost half that again for just 3.5 going Nvidia. Oh, I'm sorry 4GB. That's what it says on the box, right?

And all AMD asks in return is for me to put up with a little intermittent screen flicker at 60Hz.

Now ask yourself, who's really winning here?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Hi, I just spent a shitload of money.

Just ordered parts, waiting for them to arrive. I'll see how well I spent my money when the parts arrive. But for the research I did, I went AMD for the GPU - 295x2, liquid cooled to help it from melting into a pool of slag, and Intel for processor - I7 5930k. I'm normally the opposite of this - my current rig is an AMD Phenom and a 9800GT. but I consider myself an equal opportunity parts shopper and everything I've read puts the 295x2 ahead of Geforce with the Titan series being marketed as a thinking man's video processor, more of a supercomputer in a slot than a gaming device, so while still advertised as a gaming device, that's not its sole purpose. Even with the Z's dual setup, the X2 outpaces it, and at a fraction of the cost. Maybe if a dual-Titan X setup....but again that's $2k just for the graphics.

So, can't wait to put the new machine together. I got a few games that are simply unplayable on a 9800GT and others that I'd like to see at max settings. Next week is going to be interesting.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
As a poverty line PC gamer. I approve of this comic.

Well that an as I tell people who brag... My AMD/ATi machine can match their Intel/nVidia machine in performance benchmarks and cost me like £500 less.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Think I went through 5 different cards before I just changed to Nvidia, never looked back.

Seriously though, all 5 cards had the same problem. After about a year or so the cooling fan started to come loose and it overheated constantly. I don't really care if this is a common problem for others or not, it's my experience and it sucked. That sound the fan makes when it is about to come loose... it's bad, and you know it's just a matter of time before it's dead.

So yeah I think mocking these cards is completely fair.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
http://i.giphy.com/cbG9wtoO8QScw.gif

erttheking said:
You know I don't think I'm ever going to be able to get into custom built PCs. Too much hassle and I am far too lazy. The day I finally trade in my mac I'll just buy a laptop with decent specs.
Don't ever do that... I mean, at least don't do it if you're using it as your main computer. Laptops these days suffer from some pretty bad cases of obsolescence, due to the fact that you have to literally dismantle them just to maintain them (or use compressed air, which only delays the inevitable.).

I hear that some brands are starting to get better with this, but I wouldn't jump heavy into laptops until it becomes the standard. Right now I do have a laptop, but only to act as a convenient compliment to my desktop, which I use for just about everything.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I recently switched between an Nvidia card to an ATI card (mainly because the retail store I went to didn't have the Nvidia card I wanted yet) and the mid-to-higher range stuff seems to be in the same league as Nvidia, in both performance and price. If anything Nvidia offers a bit more for their cards with the release of 900 series. AMD CPUs sorta have the more "good quality for the price you're paying" thing going on.

The only problem I have with ATI (or AMD, but I don't like to confuse things) is their naming conventions. R9 270X? Where the X actually means something over R9 270? Are you kidding me?

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Ouch. My e-peen. It hurts. I have no preference but I do currently have an ATI installed as it was the best bang for my buck although it is 5 years old now so an upgrade is not out of the question....

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Well it is funny. A negative spin on consumers who get way more performance for less money. It's funny.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
This thread is going to get salty. PC Gamers aren't known for their sense of humor.

I've had both ATI and Nvidia.

Currently got a gtx780.

Also, on unrelated news I've been walking funny for some time now.

Asun

Your ad here
Oct 21, 2013
I jumped on the ATI train when my old nvidia card suddenly died 4 years ago. And since it's so budget I actually have a buck left to throw at your Patreon thing, so there you go ;D

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I'm still kind of sad that in neither of these strips there was a water-cooled penis GPU, and that none of the ATI cards caught on fire.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
If you're really lucky, you might even get correctly-working drivers!
Oh snap, I won an ATI / AMD 290x in a competition, after being a Nvidia user since I built my first computer over a decade ago. Finally I could upgrade my 670GTX to a new shiny 8Gig 'true 4k' card. So after dropping some cash on a water block for it. Scrubbing my OS clean of the Nvidia drivers, shutting down my computer draining the cooling loop and getting the shiny new (and fucking massive, seriously with it's stock air cooler it would not have fit in my case) card installed hooked up with 2 x 8pin PSU adaptors. I booted up, got hold of the latests AMD drivers and marvelled as the install process locked my computer up half way through install.

Some tweaking a try with some older drivers and I marvelled as it locked up 2/3 of the way through install but installed enough to allow the card to work in games but wouldn't work with anything else, Flash, XBMC, etc.

So removed that sold it, stuck the cash in to a 980GTX and 15 minutes from taking the case cover off, to rebooting after GPU driver installed first time without issue, I was looking at a shiny, smaller, less power hungry and more powerful card AND THAT'S why I will never buy another AMD GPU.

...Now ask yourself, who's really winning here?
The guy with the 970GTX is, the whole 3.5Gig thing was blown so out of proportions so as to be comical besides AMD still don't have anything in the bang per buck range that matches a 970GTX

I've read puts the 295x2 ahead of Geforce with the Titan series being marketed as a thinking man's video processor, more of a supercomputer in a slot than a gaming device, so while still advertised as a gaming device, that's not its sole purpose. Even with the Z's dual setup, the X2 out paces it
Really? Almost all the actual gaming benchmarks I've seen have a pair of 970GTXs beating the 295x2, the only instances in which it wins out being games that have been specifically designed with AMD (Battlefield and Tomb Raider for example.)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,1.html

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Jeeze, it seems like a lot of people are really missing the point here. These two comics aren't saying AMD is shit and nVidia is the greatest thing ever. They're saying that nVidia is a status symbol (because they cost so much at the high end), and AMD is for people that prefer function to internet dick-waving. I thought that was obvious from the LITERAL dick-waving in the first comic, but apparently not...