Atkinson: Gamers Are More Threatening Than Bikers

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
Jarrid said:
ma55ter_fett said:
The 360 wireless controler could actually fracture a mans skull if weilded by the right person.
How lethal do you really think 360 controllers are? My one year-old nephew broke mine.
Evidently he is saying that your nephew isn't the "Right Person." (Racist Implication... he-he)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
the idiot computer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Normalgamer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Let's prove him right.

*starts wearing leather chaps*
Are the leather chaps assless?
If so then count me in.
They can be. Assless optional.
Are the chaps optional? if so then i will pay for all motorbikes and fuel...
Whatever. So long as we ride into the sunset lit desert.

the idiot computer

Jan 21, 2010
Mordwyl said:
What if I'm a gamer AND a biker?
Then the world has truly gone mad.

OT: he would hold you back with a cross or a muslim star or whatever god he worships that also repels biker/gamer hybrids.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
ohgodalex said:
scnj said:
John Funk said:
Not that I think that the guy is any less of a tool, but people who physically threaten him really, REALLY don't make our side look good.
Absolutely not. We should be out to show people that he has got completely the wrong idea about us, not proving him right and giving him ammunition.

That said, if I saw a biker gang coming towards me with loaded shotguns, I'd shit myself. I doubt they would be scared off if I proclaimed myself a gamer.
But if you ever need to rob Atkinson, you've got all the street cred you need. Just whip out your copy of Ocarina of Time and he'll be in tears. TEARS.

OT: I hate militant gamers just as much as this guy does. Anyone who's willing to threaten this man because they can't play video games out to be sterilized so we won't have to worry about their dumbass genes running rampant.
IRONY!!!!

OT: Atkinson is a sorry, deluded man. Do we blame his (probably) Christian upbringing, or is it something else that has caused him to collapse into an insane delusion where the boundaries of fantasy and reality do not exist?

The best thing that could happen here is if a gaggle of gamers save Atkinson from being murdered to death by a pack of motorcycle marauders carrying chains and machetes. Then maybe he'd see things our way.

Or maybe not. He'd probably be all like; "I was about to be murdered to death by some motorcycle marauders when a gaggle of gamers swooped in and saved my butt. How convenient! I always knew those bands of rogues were in cahoots. Now you're never getting your R18 rating! And all those gamers who 'saved' me are going to be thrown in prison!"

Oh well, at least America's moronic lawmakers are too busy arguing over health care and blowing up Middle-Easterners to worry about gaming.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
Mordwyl said:
What if I'm a gamer AND a biker?
Then in Atkinson's eyes you may well be worse than Hitler. And I don't mind Godwinning the thread because given Atkinson's stance this is the only logical conclusion to your question.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
he enforces destroying peoples rights and then wonder why people get pissed off at him?

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Sounds like someone is getting paranoid, but I don't blame him since he is the most hated man in gaming circles right now. Even Jack Thompson wasn't this bad.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
SextusMaximus said:
I'm proposing a serious measure but...

Would 4chan come in use here? We can use them for good!
Ha
Ha
Ha

Id rather enlist the help of bikers

the idiot computer

Jan 21, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1FuA2OzQU

OT: personally i think he's overreacting... even here in the UK i hate him also he's a silly person(which is kind for him...too kind).

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Greg Tito said:
While I in no way advocate violence against the man, I do feel that he is overreacting.
This is a rare occasion where I'm going to have to disagree with you guys; this coming from an Australian who is staunchly against Michael Atkinson and his policies.

This comment of his about gamers being more dangerous than bikies is in relation to the previous times he has been in the media - I don't remember the exact situation but he went on the record and made claims against several bikie gangs which were met with a lot of hostility.

Atkinson's comment in this instance is only comparing the responses of gamers and bikies to what he has said in the public eye, which is perfectly reasonable due to the vast level of hate the man gets from the gaming community. His claim was NOT saying that gamers are generally more threatening than bikies, he was clearly stating that gamers were more threatening to HIM than bikies were, despite both groups not being too fond of him. Never once did he say that gamers were more dangerous to society than bikers, as this article attempts to claim, rather he simply compared the responses directed at him from each group and concluded that the one from gamers was the more severe.

I saw the interview myself on Good Game, and as I said, while I heavily dislike the man's policies, this news story serves only to fuel the hatred the community feels towards the man, which only exacerbates the problem and causes him to be less likely to change his mind. As he himself has said in the past, the only way he will reconsider his position is through fair debate and discussion, not through death threats and imposition.

Personally I think it is this news story which is overreacting, not Michael Atkinson. It was simply a comment to compare how he felt (which admittedly makes more sense within an Australian context due to his history in the public eye) in response to public anger.

Within a couple of responses to the article, we get this:

ma55ter_fett said:
The 360 wireless controler could actually fracture a mans skull if weilded by the right person.
Lord_Gremlin said:
Atkinson, please, die already. Everybody will be happy, including other Australian generals. You're old, do this world a favor.
SextusMaximus said:
I'm proposing a serious measure but...

Would 4chan come in use here? We can use them for good!
This news article is written in a biased fashion, there's nothing more to it. And while this is typical due to Atkinson's behaivour in the past, this particular article takes his words out of context, mocks the man's fears for his family due to constant death threats, and causes the community to discuss inciting violence against him.

I would suggest that the original post be amended as to actually clear up the issue, because all that's happening now is a hell of a lot of misinformation.

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
As much as we all hate the man, you gotta admit he's got a point. Sending hostile letters to a man who thinks gaming is making people hostile definitely isn't the way to go. Whatever happened to reasoned discourse?

noobyplasm

Dec 1, 2009
The Thief said:
Why does he despise mature video games so? No one quite knows the reason.
Presumably video games are to blame for ,I don't know even how to call it but let's say "incidents" like the one in Germany a few years back (Some student shot I think a dozen people in his school, reason was that he was playing too much Counter-Strike.....rrrright)
and the one which happened when Manhunt came out( some kid suffocated one of his friends with a plastic bag). I mean yeah man , games are to blame.NOT faulty retard parenting and dumb kids.Nooooooooo games are the root of all evil. /facepalm

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
HEY! I will have MR Atkinson know that I wasnt at his door step... it was a VERY lucky throw from England so phneh! :D

Platinum117

Aug 15, 2008
God damn it, why does this retardation exist?

Estimated homocides blamed on video games: Roughly 4-5
Number of those homocides having plausible cause to be blamed on video games: 1-2
Percentage of bullshit these claims actually contain: 100%

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Is that picture really Atkinson? Every time I look at it I can't help but think that it's a photoshop job. Looks like someone cross bred a chinese person and a redneck together, than smashed it's face in with a brick after taking it to a rowdy barfight. Seriously, those teeth are horrible.