Attack on Titan: Good or overrated crap?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Considering that I cannot stand subbed anime, I have only watched the first 14 episodes, and the dub is really good if that is what you are into. I was initially pushed away by the amount of hype that surrounded it, and the name sounds pretty stupid too, but I found it to be a really good anime. The titans are a real threat and I found the action to be really good too, but if you are looking for a solely Titan vs Human experience, that is not what you are going to get (at least from what I have seen), so I was pretty irritated by that. The second half of the dub comes out in September, so I am definitely going to watch that.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
I've recently watched the English dubbed version, and it is quite good...or rather, it is decent and there hasn't been much else that has piqued my interest.

It has a nice art style, quirky characters, and interesting premise, and despite the monsters being a tad odd-looking, the threat comes across well-enough.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the main male leads, but I do enjoy the characters of Mikasa, Levi, and Jean.

...but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the Abridged Version more.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
It's pretty decent. It has less overt anime trappings, so it can draw in a broader audience than most shows out there. Still very much an anime under the surface.

Also, "overrated" should be annihilated from everyone's vocabulary. It's not meaningful criticism, just "people like this more than I think they should, AND THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!".

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I have a trial of hulu plus so i've been watching it and sword art online. AOT I want everyone to die cause they are all hella overdramatic and the bad guys make no sense to me. They have a giant ass weak spot screaming "hit me with a ranged weapon!" That and the animation to me sucks, I'm no expert but why are some scenes just a static page with a camera scrolling over it with voice overs, then hyper realistic bell ringing followed by muddy looking static images with minimal movement.

I've never been one to watch anime but if its one of the "highlights" of the genre consider me not entertained.

Nonsense characters check, plot holes check, EMOTIONS(seriously everyone is on the verge of tears90% of the time) check, random convenient NEXT LEVEL POWERUPS check.

Also 3d movement device.... In a 100 years thats your best way to take out a titan an overly complex device that is pretty ineffectual and deadly to its user...

EDIT: forgot the massive pacing issues with it. The first 5 minutes are recaps and sometimes it takes half an episode an you realize nothing has actually progressed and when things finally start to move its all "to be continued" only to not really go anywhere or be glossed over.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
sneakypenguin said:
I have a trial of hulu plus so i've been watching it and sword art online. AOT I want everyone to die cause they are all hella overdramatic and the bad guys make no sense to me. They have a giant ass weak spot screaming "hit me with a ranged weapon!" That and the animation to me sucks, I'm no expert but why are some scenes just a static page with a camera scrolling over it with voice overs, then hyper realistic bell ringing followed by muddy looking static images with minimal movement.

I've never been one to watch anime but if its one of the "highlights" of the genre consider me not entertained.
Since you've raised the question, I'll answer it. No, most other anime don't run smack into unfinished scenes like Attack on Titan does. The only other anime I can think of that does this is Kill la Kill which, coincidentally, also came out in 2013.

These shows look this way for a combination of reasons. First, anime is very cheaply. Second, anime is made on an extremely rushed production schedule. People who are sensitive to these kinds of things (I'm not) can see the shortcuts in even the most lavish show. Second, both Attack on Titan were made by newly minted studios with little to no prior production experience, directed by people with experience at studios with high budgets and experienced teams. And it's worth pointing out that both, particularly AoT, have some absolutely fantastic animation sequences.

If you're curious about TV anime at its technical height, you should take a look at this season's Aldnoah.Zero. That show just shines.

Incidentally, how are you liking Sword Art Online?

P.S. The Attack on Titan universe has cannons which are used for fighting Titans, their firearms technology just isn't very advanced. They have a grapeshot which slows down Titans and a powerful but inaccurate cannonball, so they're secondary to soldiers armed with maneuver gear.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
LifeCharacter said:
Valkrex said:
Also, one thing. Saying that no one important dies in this show is just dumb.

I mean come on. Squad Levi, which contains the best of the best of the best, and has very likable characters that stick around for a significant amount of time, gets wiped off the map in the span of ten minutes. We meet Petra Ral, Oluo Bozado, Eld Jinn and Gunther Schultz, all characters that kick ass and that I really liked, and then BOOM. Gone.

Go ahead and have your criticisms, just don't lie about things.
There's a difference between "important" characters and "main" characters. Important characters have some not insignificant impact on the plot, while main characters are the ones we're following as the plot unfolds. And, as far as I know, no one has said that no important characters have died in AoT, because a good amount of them have, some in the very first episode.
Levi Squad, while important to the plot and the overall theme of the show, aren't main characters. They exist pretty much to have an effect on the real main characters, to show how much of a threat the Female Titan is, and to subvert typical anime tropes like believing in others. Their likeability and limited development existed for the emotional impact of seeing such characters brutally slaughtered.

It's a great and powerful scene, but it's not the same as killing off one of the Trainees or Levi himself.
Okay that makes more sense, I guess I just misunderstood the argument. For whatever reason my brain registered it as "only faceless people died in this show" when that wasn't what was being said.

In other words: derp

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Its weird. The anime finishes part way into the story but from that point on it's still about fighting giant monsters. After that it turns into this weird political conspiracy thriller where they haven't fought a single titan for like over half a year.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
People who claim 'anyone can die' must have failed to notice the part where Eren turned out to be totally fine ánd get new spiffy powers. Yeah characters die, but the victims rarely get time to be established outside of their name and a dominant character trait. Most of the time they don't even get that.

Regardless, I think AoT is alright but incredibly overrated. Sure, I like to nitpick and bash it over its head with the dumber decisions but I hurt stories because I love them. It has created a very intriguing mystery (that probably wont have a satisfying pay-off) and it has some great scenes when the show focusses on the Titans and how to fight them. Unfortunately, it's been a while since we've seen a titan in the manga..... Wonder when that'll pick up the pace again.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'd say the manga is pretty good. It has a lot less whining and crying than the anime, while retaining the same cool action. Overall it's solid "B" material.

Avalanche91 said:
People who claim 'anyone can die' must have failed to notice the part where Eren turned out to be totally fine ánd get new spiffy powers. Yeah characters die, but the victims rarely get time to be established outside of their name and a dominant character trait. Most of the time they don't even get that.
Yeah, it's really more like "any minor character can die;" the protagonists are established early on and get by just fine.

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
It depends on whether you are judging the manga or the anime adaptation. I have seen comments saying how "the lat few episodes of the anime was a terrible adaptation of that part of the manga" and how "the manga has really bad art at the start". I haven't read the manga myself but I plan to get around to it at some point. The anime seems to be kind of overhyped by the fanbase though in my opinion.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
It's probably the best anime I'm aware of. Nothing, not even Game of Thrones comes close to how invested AoT made me feel. I hated the titans by the first several episodes. The training episodes make for odd pacing, but if you don't have time for a great series you'll not be able to enjoy anything.

They do need to let us know that the youths of the scout corps are mortal, though. They seem to have plot armor thus far.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure it was the bombastic first opening that caught many attentions.

And yes it is a very visually interesting anime.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Overrated crap. If you can stand overreactions to the littlest things, filler up the ass, basically everything wrong with the anime/manga industry rolled it's for you. I stopped watching after episode 17, they were on horse back for five episodes....FIVE FUCKING EPISODES.

They still haven't even made it to the basement.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
If there's one thing that I really enjoy in anime, it's really realistic behavior in characters.

In regards to the war aspect, Attack on Titan EXCELS in this. The soldiers go in relatively optimistic, but the reality of war seriously damages some of them, and portrays it better than most live action war movies. Think of that scene in Saving Private Ryan where the guy is wrestling with the enemy guy. It, to me, mirrors that kind of scene at numerous points, which is overlooked by most people.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
Darn the MC was annoying in the beginning, and I just hoped Mikasa would take over. Got a bit better though after Eren (kinda) realized that the angry angst won't win the war...

Edit: But the secret of the Female Titan was predictable as hell. Mostly because
similar looking character that should have been written out from the series (at least for the time) kept appearing in the intro.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Jim_Callahan said:
vid87 said:
Why do they let cadets get eaten by the slow-moving Titans when their weak point are wide open? Why do they state outright that field missions in open plains mean their belts are useless, yet they don't devise caltrops, trip-wires, any secondary defense other than flares?
The titans are essentially zombies, albeit really tall ones. The primary defense against zombies in a situation where you're in the open rather than a fortified position is to rely on your superior mobility and situational awareness, and keep moving so that a big horde can't form. Caltrops do nothing to giant zombies for the same reason they do nothing to regular zombies (they don't bleed and the effect of tissue damage on their movement is negligible), and they DO use trip-wires in the one instance where they have the terrain to anchor a trip-wire to anything.

There are actually quite a few tactics that they use to dominate the titans in the way that any moderately clever society with a fortified base tends to dominate zombie hordes; funneling them into tight spaces, setting them on fire when it can be done safely, outright blowing their heads off (using artillery), etc. As mentioned in the opening episode, the things haven't been any real problem for the better part of a century because they're slow and stupid (and the heavy losses in the away teams is due to them doing some experimental/seditious conspiracy stuff that gets them killed, not an actual issue with the Titans as such).

The reason they're suddenly getting pounded in the series is that the start point is where the nature of the war changes-- some of the zombies start demonstrating immunity to what had been their standard weaknesses for years (e.g. they grow their heads back if you miss, some of them are armored, some suddenly have the intellect to open doors, attack weak points, put a hand over weak spots, etc) such that the only weapon in the human arsenal that remains remotely effective (other than the plot weapon) is the people manually going in and killing the damned things, which was previously really a worst-case last resort. The conservative faction that wants to wait for it all to blow over is only still a problem because they've only had like a month to adjust to everything going sideways suddenly (or rather for the years-earlier exception to prove it wasn't an isolated incident).

This is actually one of the things that the series is BEST at portraying, actual reasonable tactics and adaptations between two forces trying to rapidly one-up each other while bluffing that they're still the same dumb opponent they used to be. Honestly it's the half-assed narmy characters where the quality level drops, not the strategies/politics.
Well the humans aren't helped by the tendency of the soldiers TO YELL AS LOUD AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN RIGHT BEFORE FLYING IN FOR THE KILLING SHOT ON THE ENEMY, THUS BROADCASTING THEIR LOCATION AND TRAJECTORY, AND CAUSING THE TITAN TO TURN AROUND AND REACT TO THE NOISE. *is screaming like the soldiers in AoT for effect* And then they're all shocked when the Titan's squash them xD It's amusing to me how often this happens. Honestly I don't think that Mikasa is so much "better" than the rest of the army at what she does, it's just that she keeps her mouth shut when she attacks!! lol

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Always love a reason to post this terrifying video.

I think the show is really cool and entertaining, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
It's the Bioshock Infinite of anime, everyone went gaga for it when it came out and it's not bad by any means, but I feel like the fans make it out to be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better then it really is.

Maybe I'm biased though, as it was part of the Dangan Ronpa/ Free!/ AOT trifecta of anime that was dominating Tumblr for most of the time I was on there, and after a while I just got so damn sick of it that I never wanted to hear the name again, which is funny because I became a massive DR fan and I actually think Free's pretty cool, go figure.