Australian Bishop Stands Against R18+ Rating

Gummy

Oct 24, 2007
MA7743W said:
good times in the UK tho :p
*cough* http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-06-10-church-england-sony_N.htm?csp=34 *cough*

anyway.
there are too many stubborn old men in power. outdated, backwards-thinking, ignorant, grumpy elitists. there is no evidence to suggest games effect people psycologically any more than film, television and the media do. in fact this is another case of politicians meddling where they shouldnt. it happens all to often to pander to the all to easy 'family values' voters.
It's a no-brainer that kids shouldn't be supplied with excessively violent games, or games containing bad language, nudity or violence. those games arent made for kids. and its ultimately the parents responsibility to censor what their young children see. And simple procedures can be put in place to ensure retailers sell responsibly too.

(btw this is an amalgam reply to the comments of 3 related articles)

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
As Deaf are already correctly certified: Anyone with any sort of training in the research field of psychology (which is usually a default prerequisite of the more depthy courses anyway) will realise that those studies are about as valid to proving their hypothesis as I am related to a bottle of stale water.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Gummy said:
there are too many stubborn old men in power. outdated, backwards-thinking, ignorant, grumpy elitists. there is no evidence to suggest games effect people psycologically any more than film, television and the media do. in fact this is another case of politicians meddling where they shouldnt. it happens all to often to pander to the all to easy 'family values' voters.
It's a no-brainer that kids shouldn't be supplied with excessively violent games, or games containing bad language, nudity or violence. those games arent made for kids. and its ultimately the parents responsibility to censor what their young children see. And simple procedures can be put in place to ensure retailers sell responsibly too.
See, the funny thing is that most Australians are in the dark about video games. They don't care, and the idiots in power get away with it. Ugh, makes me sick.

It's a shame that I, for economic reasons, should just order from overseas. Seriously, do they want the Aussie gaming market to die or something?

Feb 13, 2008
PurpleRain said:
This is yet another reason why religion should stay the fuck away from politics!
TBF, Religion has more going for it than Politics. Even if you don't like the spiel, you can still enjoy the buildings.

Ever seen a nice Parliament building?

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
bkd69 said:
Blayze said:
"The Australian Bishop" sounds like an interesting sexual maneuver to try and pull off.
I think it involves at least one surfboard, some sun-tan lotion and clever use of a barbecue.
Not the German Shepherd and the whipped cream? What am I thinking of then?
That would be "The Austrian Bishop" which yes, sounds very similar.

In other news, internet triumphs over restrictions. I've played Manhunt. It was alright, but that naked-pig-guy was revolting.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
BlueMage said:
In other news, internet triumphs over restrictions. I've played Manhunt. It was alright, but that naked-pig-guy was revolting.
So, you've got an illegal video game by Australian standard? I just need you to confirm, and say it in a clear voice for the jur- I mean, for me to hear... no particular reason for that. **shifty eyes**

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Had. Like I said, it was ok, but nothing that would bring me back for more (especially after stealth gave way to gunfights)

Republic Commando on the other hand...

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
PurpleRain said:
This is yet another reason why religion should stay the fuck away from politics!
TBF, Religion has more going for it than Politics. Even if you don't like the spiel, you can still enjoy the buildings.

Ever seen a nice Parliament building?
The Palace of Westminster is pretty nice. And the EU Parliament buildings in brussles aren't much uglier than the average modern building. The Reichstag in Berlin is also quite a nice building.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
just a question, if anyone from Australia gets a game that is banned here and they are caught, then is there any punishment for it?

Seriously, if there isn't then just put the damn rating up there already!

Jul 9, 2008
Did anyone read the Resistance article that was posted? What, these people think we're going to have a gunfight in manchester cathedral because you fight Chimera there in resistance? What are they smoking, cause that's some powerful shit.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
just a question, if anyone from Australia gets a game that is banned here and they are caught, then is there any punishment for it?

Seriously, if there isn't then just put the damn rating up there already!
There are harsh fines for it. I don't think you'd get imprisonment, unless of course you were selling the game.

But I don't think the police really give a fuck. They just think gamers are the usual 12 year olds, so why would they bother when they have bigger fish to fry.

orannis62 said:
Did anyone read the Resistance article that was posted? What, these people think we're going to have a gunfight in manchester cathedral because you fight Chimera there in resistance? What are they smoking, cause that's some powerful shit.
It's called "the power of the almighty Christ"... and it's some serious shit.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Jack Thompson is almost gone and now this guy starts.

Well, here we go again.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Jack thompson was gone a long time ago. Around the time he tried to sick the FBI on Penny Arcade.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Jack thompson was gone a long time ago. Around the time he tried to sick the FBI on Penny Arcade.
If by gone you mean absolutely crazy then yes, I agree with you.

However, he still kept trying afterwards, if by gone you mean stopped his anti game crusade, especially before the release of Bully and GTAIV.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I was referring to gone crazy, although most people really just started ignoring him after that point. Kind of like an annoying little kid.