Australian Bishop Stands Against R18+ Rating

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
And the reason he's not also campaigning to have the R or even MA rating removed is....?
Atkinson is worried that underage people will get their hands on the R18+ games (gee, why don't they ban alcohol too in order to keep kiddies from binge drinking?...), and this guy's reason is it increases aggression and violence (and the studies he's sited are bullshit).

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Look, simple fact is that playing games increases physiological indicators of aggression - increased heart rate, etc. But practically any activity that has an element of risk - real or perceived - that induces even a quasi-fight-or-flight response will do the same. Why? Because aggressive behaviours are what allow us to survive harsh circumstances. It's human nature.

In short, this is bullshit. It is NOT the government's responsibility to dictate what folks can or cannot view (exceptions to depiction of real crime, ie rape, murder or peadophilia) - their concern is running the country. It is the PARENTS who must take responsibility for the media their children consume. My parents did, with both of them working full days, so the usual excuse of "Oh, I don't have time" doesn't hold up - they're your damn children, you fucking MAKE time.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Because Adelaide (and to a lesser extent, South Australia in general) has a reputation for being a Jesus-happy nutjob factory.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
BlueMage said:
Because Adelaide (and to a lesser extent, South Australia in general) has a reputation for being a Jesus-happy nutjob factory.
Fuck, it all makes sense now... I say we 'purge' South Australia. You know, get all the sane people out, and add fire to the rest. Maybe then we'll get an R18+ rating.

Mar 6, 2008
stompy said:
Fuck, it all makes sense now... I say we 'purge' South Australia. You know, get all the sane people out, and add fire to the rest. Maybe then we'll get an R18+ rating.
We only need to drag the atorney general of south australia out & throw him against the wall, give hima cigarette then open fire with 12 25mm auto canons!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow said:
We only need to drag the atorney general of south australia out & throw him against the wall, give hima cigarette then open fire with 12 25mm auto canons!
But that's too messy... I 'predict' that Hon. Michael Atkinson will unfortunately suffer from a fatal stroke/heart attack... **evil laugh**

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jeez, alot of bullshit is happening lately.

Banning of Fallout,

Pope/Bishop/whateverthehell he is against 18+ rating

Jack Thompson sending an insulting letter to a judge

the judge recomending JT for permanent dismemberment or something

Seroiusly, what the hell is going on in the world!?!?!?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Desensitizes violence? What? If that's the worst that will happen by adding an +18 rating to games then this guy is worrying too much and should back off. Seriously, so much more than just video games will "desensitize" you but it doesn't mean you will like/enjoy/feel the need to commit violence.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
stompy said:
BlueMage said:
Nothing ever good came from there. I agree, purge the bastards with hellfire!

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
PurpleRain said:
stompy said:
BlueMage said:
While I'm all for destroying South Australia, isn't the Bishop from Sydney? We're not exactly what you'd call Jesus freaks.
Hmm, we'll off him and the Pope as well when he turns up.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
PurpleRain said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
PurpleRain said:
stompy said:
BlueMage said:
While I'm all for destroying South Australia, isn't the Bishop from Sydney? We're not exactly what you'd call Jesus freaks.
Threatning to kill the Pope...

A good way to get an R18+ rating.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
PurpleRain said:
All ASIO and Federal police officers: please not that I in no way condone the actions spoken of, nether to I intend to act them out myself.

Killing of OFLC board members is a whole 'nother issue...

Edit:
Fire Daemon said:
Threatening to kill the pope... A good way to get an R18+ rating.
I'm Indian, so it's also a good way for me to get deported...

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Question: How do you beat the Catholic Church in an Arguement that involves Violence?

Answer: Open the History Book and begin reading around the Dark Ages.

So yeah..we wont bring up the "Witch Hunts", the Genocides, Inquisition, Torture of Innocents to "repent" for something they have never done...oh yes, lets just forget about that right there. I have my Reasons to hate the Church, every form of religion actually that involves ANY form of imaginitive friend regardless of what his name is and killing in any form. Ever read the old Testament? Nowadays it should get the Title "Killing for Dummies" or something..seriously, thats a guide for how you can pretty much kill half the world and get away with it cause you did it in the name of the "lord"..im so happy i dont live in Australia, on the other hand, germany isnt any better though with us its just the politicians that go for that sort of bullshit

PS: Im in no way against Catholics or Muslims or other Religious Groups, everyone can believe whatever they want as long as its in a healthy way and not like a fanatic. Jack Thompson anyone?

Dramus

Jul 12, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Jack thompson was gone a long time ago. Around the time he tried to sick the FBI on Penny Arcade.
Wait, what? He tried to do what now? Is that a joke, or is he even more batshit insane then I previously suspected?

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Dramus said:
Aries_Split said:
Jack thompson was gone a long time ago. Around the time he tried to sick the FBI on Penny Arcade.
Wait, what? He tried to do what now? Is that a joke, or is he even more batshit insane then I previously suspected?
No joke. He really is that pure, batshit insane .

ND

May 24, 2008
stompy said:
BlueMage said:
As someone from Adelaide: I am in support of this.