Australian Bishop Stands Against R18+ Rating

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Australian Bishop Stands Against R18+ Rating

The Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney has expressed his opposition to the addition of an R18+ videogame rating in Australia, saying that videogames have been proven to desensitize people to violence and increase aggressive behavior.

The Australian Government has banned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81729].

But speaking to the Effects of Media Violence on Health-Related Outcomes Among Young Men [http://www.catholicweekly.com.au/article.php?classID=1&subclassID=2&articleID=4102&class=Latest%20News&subclass=National], "shows a direct cause and effect between exposure to violence and attitudes toward risky behavior. Video game violence can change a person's attitudes in the real world."

"The causes of violence and crime in society is a very complex problem," he said. "We need not add to this problem with games that numb our natural repulsion to violence and, with regard to sexually explicit games, reduce women in particular to mere objects of instant self gratification."

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
*sigh* And so it goes... and, to rub salt into the wound, lawmakers are more likely to listen to a ritual cannibal [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsubstantiation]'s opinion than that of people who actually play the games [http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=cannibal+controversy+%22stubbs+the+zombie%22].

-- Steve

Deaf_Skull

Aug 14, 2007
Malygris said:
reduce women in particular to mere objects of instant self gratification."
Yet the bible suggests that "women must submit to the dominance of men". This is not at tall reducing women?

Malygris said:
angry feelings
you dont say? youve just made them watch media that involves people suffering...and you think they wont get angry?

Malygris said:
physiological arousal
Yes Sexual Explicit content does that to all humans.

Malygris said:
and decreases helpful behaviors
what the hell is helpful behaviors..."No i shant do the dishes mum im on boss no. 3 FFS"<--well maybe that, but football does that to.

Malygris said:
"We know from psychological research that exposure to violent videogames can desensitize people to real-life violence."
the research he refers to:
The authors present the result of an experiment in which 257 college students played video games and then were exposed to films of real-world violence. Heart rate (HR) and skin conductance (sweat; SC) were measured. These unconscious measures are accepted as valid indicators of arousal.
Notice:

1.This included films of real world violence, this will make yo angry, congratulations.
2.Heart rate increase is in fact healthy and not a sighs of "the need to harm people"
3.skin conductance (sweat) this again is no evidence of "the need to harm people"

here are the results:
measuring heart beats per minute

Before experiment, after game, after film:
Violent: 66.4... 69.3... 68.5
Non-Violent: 65.5... 68.4... 70.5
Note:
The subjects viewing the violent medias heart rates changed less that the subjects for the non violent media. what does this prove? does it even make sens?

Also note that the URL to the original study does not work...
http://www.public.iastate.edu/errors/inactive.html

rant over

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Another update, which I'll throw in here rather than doing up a whole new post for what is essentially two lines of stupidity: A spokesman for Michael Atkinson, the attorney-general for South Australia, has said, "The Attorney-General remains very firmly opposed to introducing an R rating for computer games in Australia ... He doubts whether any safeguards could be put in place to deter young people, who after all (are) the most computer literate and savvy in our society, from being able to access material." And since all attorneys-general must agree on the change before it can be implemented, his intransigence will likely mean the end of any potential deal.

What the hell is it with you guys, anyway?

Deaf_Skull

Aug 14, 2007
Sorry, bishops arnt the most popular people in my mind at the moment. they've stack their noses in many places they shouldn't and they usually say something unjustified that offends me/the people around me. They are people of religion, not of politics.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
Why does religion try to effect real-world legislation? It's like trying to nail jelly to the wall with a glass hammer.

In other words, pointless, almost always ends in failure, and makes you look rather iditotic.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
In other news, Australian teenager tells Auxiliary Bishop to fall in a well and die. The angry teen then pelted him with copies of Manhunt, yelling that Auxiliary Bishop isn't even a proper title, and that he made it up. Police arrived with mace and tazers.

el_rigo

Feb 28, 2008
"The Australian Bishop" sounds like an interesting sexual maneuver to try and pull off. Remember to stretch first, you might end up pulling more than you can chew.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Whenever the catholic church takes responability and then redeems itself for all the child molestation s..t that came out a few years ago then I might give a rat's ass of what they have to say.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
"The Australian Bishop" sounds like an interesting sexual maneuver to try and pull off.
I think it involves at least one surfboard, some sun-tan lotion and clever use of a barbecue.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Blayze said:
"The Australian Bishop" sounds like an interesting sexual maneuver to try and pull off.
I think it involves at least one surfboard, some sun-tan lotion and clever use of a barbecue.
Not the German Shepherd and the whipped cream? What am I thinking of then?

Another update, which I'll throw in here rather than doing up a whole new post for what is essentially two lines of stupidity: A spokesman for Michael Atkinson, the attorney-general for South Australia, has said, "The Attorney-General remains very firmly opposed to introducing an R rating for computer games in Australia ... He doubts whether any safeguards could be put in place to deter young people, who after all (are) the most computer literate and savvy in our society, from being able to access material."
Shhhh! Nobody mention the Intartubes...

Squiglish

Mar 26, 2004
Bloody hell, make R-18+ games over the counter, and put in harsh penalties (similar to those for alcohol/cigarette laws, I don't think games and alcohol are the same, but I don't think 12 y/o should be playing Manhunt either) for selling to underage's and wham!
Safe R 18 games.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Malygris said:
What the hell is it with you guys, anyway?
I know exactly wahy you mean. The ignorent people in this country makes me rage.

This is yet another reason why religion should stay the fuck away from politics!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
It's just sad that there's no sensible mind to take the mic and utter words which would actually balance the amount of nonsense we hear from some australian figures.
Or are those capable of focusing the attention of large audiences all narrow minded?