Australian Christian Lobby Compares Games to SAS Training

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
GeekFury said:
tkioz said:
Sovvolf said:
tkioz said:
We also have an army, navy, and air-force that took part in every major conflict of the 20th century, just to name a few, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam (wonder where the Australian troops in all those war movies are... oh right American-Centric Bullshit), Iraq-1, and a heap of other peace keeping and minor conflicts.
I wouldn't take it too personally, Americans will often leave other countries out of war films. Christ have you seen the war films based on what's happening in Afghanistan right now?. No mention of Britain, Australia, France or any other country taking part. I doubt there's many Americans out there that even know were taking part in the war.

Saving Private Ryan was one of the biggest offenders "Critical reception for the film was generally positive, with much praise for the realistic battle scenes and the actors' performances, but earning some criticism for the script and for ignoring the contributions of several other countries to the D-Day landings in general and at Omaha Beach specifically.The most direct example of the latter is that during the actual landing the 2nd Rangers disembarked from British ships and were taken to Omaha Beach by Royal Navy landing craft (LCAs). The film depicts them as being United States Coast Guard-crewed craft (LCVPs and LCMs) from an American ship". From watching this a lot of Americans seem to think they were the only people who took part in that battle when http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day they weren't.
It's just so frustrating at times, whenever I see a "historical" war movie I just want to punch someone, both my grandfathers fought in WW2, one also fought in Korea, my father fought in Vietnam and my Uncle took part in Iraq-1, and one of my cousins was deployed to Iraq for "reconstruction". So it just seams so incredibly insulting at times.
Clearly you have'nt seen the movie Gallipoli, my grandfather was there as a officer and he had nothing but high praise for the Aussie's who ran into oncoming bullets, to put it in his words 'They had some pair on them those Aussies, bigger than any yank I ever met.' So I salute you Australians, that crimnal heritage made you all tougher than a fucking coffin nail.
Mate, that movie is required viewing for any Australian or they take away your beer rights.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Desert Tiger said:
The... Australians have a version of the SAS?

My mind is blown.
We also have an army, navy, and air-force that took part in every major conflict of the 20th century, just to name a few, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam (wonder where the Australian troops in all those war movies are... oh right American-Centric Bullshit), Iraq-1, and a heap of other peace keeping and minor conflicts.
Dude, Hollywood makes movies primarily for Americans, probably because it's in America. Holler at Mel Gibson or your own local studios if you want an Aussie war movie.
I don't want Australian war movies, I'm not overly fussed with war movies, I'd be happy with a throw away line here or there, and not even just for Australians, but any nationality, something to recognise that other people actually took part in the conflict... not just the great American Empire of Freedom.

Also U571. I rest my freaking case.
If you want to hear true to life tales of combat, hang out in an American high school history class or read one of our history textbooks.

A movie isn't a history lesson. If it doesn't drive the plot, it doesn't get added.

GeekFury

Aug 20, 2009
tkioz said:
GeekFury said:
tkioz said:
Sovvolf said:
tkioz said:
I wouldn't take it too personally, Americans will often leave other countries out of war films. Christ have you seen the war films based on what's happening in Afghanistan right now?. No mention of Britain, Australia, France or any other country taking part. I doubt there's many Americans out there that even know were taking part in the war.

Saving Private Ryan was one of the biggest offenders "Critical reception for the film was generally positive, with much praise for the realistic battle scenes and the actors' performances, but earning some criticism for the script and for ignoring the contributions of several other countries to the D-Day landings in general and at Omaha Beach specifically.The most direct example of the latter is that during the actual landing the 2nd Rangers disembarked from British ships and were taken to Omaha Beach by Royal Navy landing craft (LCAs). The film depicts them as being United States Coast Guard-crewed craft (LCVPs and LCMs) from an American ship". From watching this a lot of Americans seem to think they were the only people who took part in that battle when http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day they weren't.
It's just so frustrating at times, whenever I see a "historical" war movie I just want to punch someone, both my grandfathers fought in WW2, one also fought in Korea, my father fought in Vietnam and my Uncle took part in Iraq-1, and one of my cousins was deployed to Iraq for "reconstruction". So it just seams so incredibly insulting at times.
Clearly you have'nt seen the movie Gallipoli, my grandfather was there as a officer and he had nothing but high praise for the Aussie's who ran into oncoming bullets, to put it in his words 'They had some pair on them those Aussies, bigger than any yank I ever met.' So I salute you Australians, that crimnal heritage made you all tougher than a fucking coffin nail.
Mate, that movie is required viewing for any Australian or they take away your beer rights.
Good and I stand by what my grandad said, as anyone with balls enough to go on what was just a suicide mission in all honesty deserves respect and the title of 'biggest balls arounds'.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
On a more serious note, I should mention how insulting such a statement seems to SAS personnel and really all armed forces personnel across the globe. Soldiers, particularly special forces ones, go through hell and often dedicate their lives to becoming what they are. If I was one of those men (or women) and someone told me that what I did was no more special than what billions of kids across the world do while lying on their couches relaxing, I would be pretty damn pissed.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Desert Tiger said:

My mind is blown.
Dude, Hollywood makes movies primarily for Americans, probably because it's in America. Holler at Mel Gibson or your own local studios if you want an Aussie war movie.
I don't want Australian war movies, I'm not overly fussed with war movies, I'd be happy with a throw away line here or there, and not even just for Australians, but any nationality, something to recognise that other people actually took part in the conflict... not just the great American Empire of Freedom.

If you want to hear true to life tales of combat, hang out in an American high school history class or read one of our history textbooks.

A movie isn't a history lesson. If it doesn't drive the plot, it doesn't get added.
It's one thing to tweak history to fit a narrative, it's another to blatantly ignore or outright steal the accomplishments of another nations service men and women. Again see U571, I'm amazed England didn't send the barmy army over as revenge.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Wow! So I have all the training from slaying Dragons, massacring Goombas, and shooting aliens to become a fucking pilot? HOLY SHIT!

*Goes to hi-jack the nearest airliner and crashes into a Gamestop*

..Nope, I'm afraid you are wrong there Australian Christian Lobby. However I do have enough training to put bullets in your heads.

[small]Be thankful Australia's wildlife scares the shit out of me...[/small]

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This jerk came to speak at my (Anglican) high school once (I think his son was in my year). I remember getting the impression back then that he didn't really know what he was talking about. The reluctance to kill is a Christian thing? So how do you explain the Crusades? Or the Spanish Inquisition? Or even the Old Testament in general?

The fact of the matter is that most of the killing in modern warfare is done by people who never even see their enemies: they show up on radar as little dots and all they have to do is press a button to wipe them out; so by his logic we shouldn't stop at banning 18+ games; Pacman could be a killer.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Dark Templar said:
Ok that is it.

I give up. Australia's government and its christians hate gamers.

This is just the extremist christian morons trying to force their ideas on the rest of the country. Not the first time this kind of thing has happened.

Organized religious groups..........just.........GRRRRR.
Australia is sounding more and more like what the US would be without freedom of speech/expression.

Chaos Theory

Oct 8, 2009
No R18+ because its similar to SAS?......that makes no sense, the gameplay stays the same weather its MA or R just one has less blood than the other.......I do believe his argument is invalid.

also
"you have to break a very natural reluctance"......thats rubish, thers a massive diff between pixles and the real thing.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Desert Tiger said:

My mind is blown.

It's one thing to tweak history to fit a narrative, it's another to blatantly ignore or outright steal the accomplishments of another nations service men and women. Again see U571, I'm amazed England didn't send the barmy army over as revenge.
Are there any other movies besides the one? Because I hardly think that is reason to get uptight. Plus, I'd rather not see the movie because aside from the historical inaccuracies, it looked like shit.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Desert Tiger said:

My mind is blown.

Are there any other movies besides the one? Because I hardly think that is reason to get uptight. Plus, I'd rather not see the movie because aside from the historical inaccuracies, it looked like shit.
It's the most blatant one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are dozens of others, see above for the guy who posted the Saving Private Ryan info for just one other example.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Desert Tiger said:

My mind is blown.

There was a time when movies that took British war events and "Americanized" them were banned over here. However it doesn't happen any more and well I guess the sad thing is... these movies probably wouldn't sell very well if they didn't Americanize them. I haven't seen U571 however I can imagine the British crew members of the U-110 are replaced with Americans, and they replaced the Aussies who sunk U-571 with Americans too.

Again though some times it depends on how you look at it... is the movie just being changed because the Director was a jingoistic American?. Maybe they changed it because they didn't think American audience (The largest audience) would watch a movie with just British or Australian troops. However it still doesn't excuse not being even mentioned but well it's best to just look at the movie for the enjoyment.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericaSavesTheDay this trope may help explain.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Abedeus said:
That's like learning how to have sex from Japanese comic books. Sure, you get the idea, but it's not something you'll actually use in real life.
"yes, but why won't it explain how to grow tentacles"

OT: You gotta love how everyone just attacks Christianity in general. A lot of gamers (as in the ones who play games and don't spend their days on a forum talking about the) are Christian and not attacking games.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Sovvolf said:
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Low Key said:
tkioz said:
Desert Tiger said:

My mind is blown.

There was a time when movies that took British war events and "Americanized" them were banned over here. However it doesn't happen any more and well I guess the sad thing is... these movies probably wouldn't sell very well if they didn't Americanize them. I haven't seen U571 however I can imagine the British crew members of the U-110 are replaced with Americans, and they replaced the Aussies who sunk U-571 with Americans too.

Again though some times it depends on how you look at it... is the movie just being changed because the Director was a jingoistic American?. Maybe they changed it because they didn't think American audience (The largest audience) would watch a movie with just British or Australian troops. However it still doesn't excuse not being even mentioned but well it's best to just look at the movie for the enjoyment.
The saddest part is they didn't even need to base it on U571, the Americans did raid a sub during the war (I forget what one now, it's late and I haven't slept), that would of been perfect for basing the movie on, but they just basically flipped a great big F U. And they consider Australia and England to be allies and friends... if my friends acted like that they'd get a kick in the nuts.

Dan Oles

Jan 19, 2010
Thank goodness.
If we didn't have any training we'd lose out to any madman with a kitchen knife.
I'm better adjusted from video games because I actually have the wherewithall sometimes to put my foot down and say 'No. That's not right, and I'm not going to sit back and take it.'
Movies don't teach that. Schools don't teach that.
Look it up. I bet if you asked kids about violence in games there answer is still the most popular one from years ago. 'The bad guys have to be brought to justice somehow.'
When did that become a crime?
If anything its the school systems that are killer camps. Look at the books kids read: The Bell Jar, No Exit. Look at the movies they watch in classrooms: Bowling for Columbine.
THAT'S what teaches kids to hurt other people.
Games teach people to aim their guns in the right direction, at the monsters, terrorists, and bad guys who are about to hurt others.