Australian McDonald's Now Spraying Thieves With DNA

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
is it just me that sees a MAJOR flaw in this? it sprays them as they EXIT.... they're assuming they take the DOOR! how about the WINDOW? i'd totally shoot out a window to make my escape... and now to quote Toy Story "out the window BUZZ YOU'RE A GENIUS!"

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
KiloFox said:
is it just me that sees a MAJOR flaw in this? it sprays them as they EXIT.... they're assuming they take the DOOR! how about the WINDOW? i'd totally shoot out a window to make my escape... and now to quote Toy Story "out the window BUZZ YOU'RE A GENIUS!"
You have a gun...and you're robbing McDonalds?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
If things go well, the corporation will be installing DNA squirt cannons on the exits of all 780 locations across the continent.
Okay, I thought it was a cool, only mildly creepy idea of being covered in someone else's DNA (synthetic or not) until I got here. But "DNA squirt cannons" sound like a biologist's terrible nickname for a penis. And now...well, it's not hard to feel thoroughly put off of stealing from a McD's once you come to the knowledge that you're gonna be sprayed with synthetic spunk. That hangs around for two weeks.

Yeah. Think I'll just stick to robbing the fed through student loans.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Not surprised Aussy wise, especially here in Newcastle there's always shit happening at the King St McDonalds because its bang-smack in the middle of all the clubs w/drunkards coming in and breaking the place.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Great so if I am cowering at a seat by the door when one of these armed cretins is leaving I'll get marinated too? Then I'll get flagged as a robber at a random screening the next time someone is looking for suspects.

I don't know.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
first off has someone submited this to fark.com yet?

second this just in robberys via broken windows has risen 90%

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Good! 'Bout time for something like this to happen. Although I would expect a bank or something to have these kinds of safety measures, not MacD's.

Baresark said:
Ahem, it seeps through your clothes... yeah.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Kargathia said:
The fashionable robber always brings an umbrella anyway.

Alternatively: Brick, meet window. Window, meet brick.

Poor window never quite recovered from the shock.
I burst out laughing at that :D
When I read the article, I was impressed, I was like wow that's actually pretty ingenious. I saw an episode of Burn Notice where there was a similar security system (except it was microchips instead of DNA) and they had to trick another guy into doing it so they wouldn't get caught. So this works very similar to that, very advanced rocket science stuff...

When all the robber has to do is chuck a rock through the window xD
+1 for science derp

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
Thyunda said:
KiloFox said:
You have a gun...and you're robbing McDonalds?
touche...

however i was speaking hypothetically, i don't own a firearm (don't believe in using a ranged weapon. if you're gonna kill something you gotta have the courage to look 'em in the eye.) and you don't need a gun to take out a window... i'm just saying if the robber knows it's there, they can just take the window... and i doubt they'll put one of these things on every window too.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
For a moment there, I thought this would mean you'd get some BigMac mutant-cow DNA sprayed on you as you left.

Still, stuff like this makes me glad I live in the future.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Penguin_Factory said:
Now, if someone shows up who wants a handful of cash instead of a handful of french fries, a small device above the exit will activate during his or her getaway, covering the bandit's skin and clothing with a synthetic DNA strand made up of sixty separate chromosomes
Spot the science goof and win a prize (no actual prizes will be given).
Yeah, DNA strands aren't made of chromosomes...it's the other way around.

Also, why do they need 60 chromosomes in the first place?

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
This sounds like the origin for a Spider-Man villain:
Raymond Roth was just an ordinary thief until an accident with a cutting edge security system left him with the power to absorb and channel UV rays. Now he is the fearsome supervillain known as.... The UV-Ray!

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
but.. what happens if there is a glitch of some sort and it sprayed a customer?

Or.. what if some clerk who had a really bad day decided to spray a rude customer?

and now if a police officer sees the innocent person with a glow they are automatically guilty of robbery?

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
That's clever. I applaud this kind of technology. But still, what happens if they leave the back way?

Rath709

Mar 18, 2008
I'm amazed that this thread has reached two pages without someone commenting that fast food workers have been known to "tag the food with DNA" in disturbing ways that led to lawsuits.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
But the cops still need to catch the criminal within two weeks.

I don't know how law enforcement is in Australia, but if they're as apathetic as the cops here...

EDIT:
Though it could be argued this is just really a deterrent, and if the article is to be believed it appears to be working.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Heh but seriously, we're shooting people with DNA? Better hope that stuff has no side effects, can you say lawsuit?
Wat. How could it possibly have side effects? It's DNA. DNA never hurt nobody.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Baresark said:
Now everyone knows about it. I would like to point out the difference between an idiot and a reasonably intelligent criminal. Idiots run in, demand money and run away, often times not even wearing a mask or anything to cover their face. A seasoned criminal will wear something to obscure his face. A dumbass robs McDonalds, walks two blocks and grabs a beer. An intelligent person robs McDonalds in throw away clothes, leaves to secluded area, throws clothes away and puts on a pair he/she had stored in the area secretly. An idiot doesn't bother covering his hands or any parts of the body that could possibly identify them (tattoos, scars, etc.). Someone with 2+ brain cells to rub together wears gloves and covers their whole body in an obscuring layer of clothes. So, if someone had 2 minutes to plan this, this system would be as useless as the police as the already useless camera system I'm sure they have in place. You know, the one that can't even catch the guys who don't even bother wearing masks.
A smart person doesn't rob MacDonald's. Most people don't pay with cash....at least in the U.S. So not really much cash on hand to take. But then again a smart would get a job or start a business instead of robbing fast food chains to start with.