Australian McDonald's Now Spraying Thieves With DNA

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
RJ 17 said:
jonnosferatu said:
RJ 17 said:
Kopikatsu said:
RJ 17 said:
Heh but seriously, we're shooting people with DNA? Better hope that stuff has no side effects, can you say lawsuit?
Wat. How could it possibly have side effects? It's DNA. DNA never hurt nobody.
Actually, as a rather disturbing example, there are both men and women who are highly alergic to semen. :p

But I was refering to what happens if this DNA starts bonding with the person's DNA? I'm not saying they'll turn into some kind of mutant freak, but I'd imagine the possibility for some kind of bad reaction is there.
...oh dear.

I'm going to avoid chewing you out on this and simply say that it doesn't work like that. It's very difficult to cause any interaction between DNA sequences from different genomes (i.e. I have done this in the lab and it requires specific growth media and the use of several enzymes just to accomplish it in bacteria, which are very easy to "dope" with new genes compared to mammals), and once foreign DNA makes its way into the cell it will be broken down into individual nucleic acids very quickly outside of some fairly rare circumstances. If you want to insert genes into human cells, you (currently) (nearly) have to use RNA and a retrovirus.
No need to worry, I've already acknowledged that what I said was quite foolish.

[evidence snipped for space]
Sorry, didn't see. No worries.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
jonnosferatu said:
-snippity snip-
I also know that the concoction is not actually male ejaculate, and only shares superficial similarities (i.e., it contains DNA and is intended for use on other human beings). Many apologies if I upset you, I was intending much of that post as a joke. The only part of my post that was completely serious was my statement that I found the quote amusing, and that I find this concept to have SOME problems.

Edit: I also find the idea of spraying unwilling people with DNA as a mite gross, but as I said, I guess I'm a bit old fashioned.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Grey Day for Elcia said:
2fish said:
Ok then new plan:

1. Wear disposable clothes burn after robbery, clothes must cover all skin, maybe wear goggles?
2. If misted shoot people in rage. This seems like a real fear to me as if I figure I am now going to be caught because this employee misted me I am damn well gonna kill them.
3. Cool idea though
No one smart enough to plan that out is going to be robbing a McDonalds. Criminals of this scale are doing something dumb for a reason: they're desperate and/or very unintelligent and think they'll get away with it.

Oh and people don't just start shooting and murdering bystanders. One might think that from their armchair, but reality doesn't work that way. Murder is not something anyone takes on lightly. People who DO just decide to execute innocent people, aren't in the middle of robbing a fast-food restaurant, either.
True that murder does not happen lightly but that negates emotions, mental issues, drugs, and other factors. Seeing as one of the goals when being robbed is not to piss off the robber I see spraying them with dna as a risk. Yes I know I am not the person they intend to catch as I would plan it out, probably not a skill of the average McDonald's robber.

Sovvolf said:
2fish said:
Ok then new plan:

2. If misted shoot people in rage. This seems like a real fear to me as if I figure I am now going to be caught because this employee misted me I am damn well gonna kill them.
Yeah, lets knock about 3 year jail time (at the most) up to a life sentence... Better yet, just wear a baraclava and such, then after the robbery, try to avoid attention for 3 weeks while the stuff wears off, burn the clothes and then your set. They still have to know who you are in order to actually put the uv lamp on you.

Same answer as Grey day not sure robbers would plan that far ahead 3 years vs life. In the heat of the moment people do all sorts of stupid stuff that increases jail time. However you seem like a person to work with on my new film how to rob an Australian McDonalds. It is a found footage type movie, you in?

Cyberjester said:
2fish said:
Ok then new plan:

1. Wear disposable clothes burn after robbery, clothes must cover all skin, maybe wear goggles?
3. Cool idea though
Apart from two, nice job. Screw the goggles though, a balaclava with head down works even better. They might see eye colour but that's what disposable contacts are for. Two is just crazy. Robbing a place is one thing, actually injuring/killing people will get you hunted. If you shoot at police or anyone the police know you will be hunted down with assault rifles and tactical vests. :D

All in all, a bad fall back.

Azmael Silverlance said:
Ahahah seriously why would anyone bother to rob a McDonalds restaurant
Cyberjester said:
Ooh eye color didn't think of that since my eyes are hazel and will change based upon clothing color. As stated above not a planned shooting but a reaction to being sprayed. Some people react violently, again I just see it as a risk. You want a part in my and Cyberjester's movie we need a getaway driver.

So many quotes I hope I didn't give the wrong person the wrong answer.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
I'd like to point out that if someone walked into a McDonald's covered in clothes and a mask that it would be suspicious as hell and also if someone jumped out a window they'd likely have cuts on their body as well with a good chance of glass in the wound.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'll have you know trolls are not tolerated here. As I said in my last post someone in full clothing is going to cause suspicion

Oh sorry for the double post.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Lizmichi said:
I'll have you know trolls are not tolerated here. As I said in my last post someone in full clothing is going to cause suspicion

Oh sorry for the double post.
No. Fucking. Shit. Are you actually serious? Dont you think standing in front of the cashier with a gun in your hand would raise suspicion? I dont think what you are wearing really matters. The glock you are holding should get everyones attention regardless.

(Oh yeah, and about trolls; I will have you know I have almost 3000 posts, and know about this forum and its trolling rules. I will also have you know accusing someone of trolling is against the rules. I know, its fucking stupid, but I dont make the rules.

Anyhow, im not exactly trolling here. I poked a bit of fun at the news article, and then someone stumbled in and lost his shit randomly. Yeah. LOL EPIC TROLLS I TROLL U XDXDXD.)
Apparently spending five minutes addressing idiotic statements constitutes losing one's shit around here. I'll inject coagulant to simulate the effect next time.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Since people are idiots I'll start over:

It's an OLD system, it's been in the UK for at least a year, maybe two. We've had it available for HOME USE since that time, I remember being shown it at a tech conference way back when.

It uses synthesised chromosomes, complicated but not harmful and importantly: unique. There are millions upon millions of combinations, so the one you're being sprayed by is known.

The spray is easy to set up, put it behind all the windows and doors and when you leave for the night the security system activates. Someone busts the door/window without deactivating? Sprayed by the stuff.

Covering every inch of your body is EXTREMELY difficult, water is pervasive, a hole or gap in your protective clothing and this will get through to your skin and make it's mark. In order to be completely covered you'd need heavy duty equipment (not a parker and goggles) and that will be unwieldy, obvious, expensive and so on.

The stain is only visible under UV and doesn't wash out, it's not water soluble and I was told it resists soaps (lipids) too. Basically shy of scrubbing yourself with iron wool it's staying in your skin for a couple of weeks.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
I love the way the majority of comments in this thread pertain to the various ways in which this system can be fooled. Nice one guys.

OT: This is definately a new idea, certainly one I wouldn't have thought up. In fact it's rather creepy if you think about it too hard. I can see zombie apocalypse stories springing out of this one. Oh god... it's not just DNA, it's the T-Virus!

lowkey_jotunn said:
Biggest flaw in this plan: Telling potential burglars the plan.

Seriously, they should have shut up until they caught a few burglars. Then again, maybe it's all a clever ruse. There's no DNA sprayer, but as long as the criminals think there is ...
This always happens. Whenever a new technique to catch criminals is invented there is inevitably someone who will shout from the rooftops about how cool and revolutionary it is. Yeah, perhaps it would be more effective if it wasn't common knowledge?
Well, actually making it common knowledge might prove an effective deterrent for the less adept thieves. If you had to choose somewhere to rob, and you know that McDonald's got this complicated DNA thing that you're not really sure how to bypass, then you might choose the less protected grocery store instead.

However, it would not really be effective against members of a serious organized crime syndicate, but I don't really think they'd care much about robbing a McDonalds.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Jesus Christ, lighten up. I really dont see the big deal here. I poked a bit of fun at the article. WOW. Such a big deal.
Food for thought:
You weren't required to respond to my initial post
You weren't required to respond to my other two posts
You are the one getting worked up about this

I really do not see how that video is relevant at all. I can see what you are getting at, but the comparison does not really fit.
An expert in the irukandji jellyfish, knowing the risks associated with going into their waters, took every precaution to cover as much of his skin as possible to prevent exposure. He was exposed by freak chance.

In the case of someone walking through a door spraying a mist of DNA and UV-reactive adhesive, it ceases to become freak chance.

On a related note:
The article above proves differently. The real idiots, of course, are not the guys selling this stuff, but the ones buying it.
You still haven't adequately defended this statement.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Hugga_Bear said:
Since people are idiots I'll start over:

It's an OLD system, it's been in the UK for at least a year, maybe two. We've had it available for HOME USE since that time, I remember being shown it at a tech conference way back when.

It uses synthesised chromosomes, complicated but not harmful and importantly: unique. There are millions upon millions of combinations, so the one you're being sprayed by is known.

The spray is easy to set up, put it behind all the windows and doors and when you leave for the night the security system activates. Someone busts the door/window without deactivating? Sprayed by the stuff.

Covering every inch of your body is EXTREMELY difficult, water is pervasive, a hole or gap in your protective clothing and this will get through to your skin and make it's mark. In order to be completely covered you'd need heavy duty equipment (not a parker and goggles) and that will be unwieldy, obvious, expensive and so on.

The stain is only visible under UV and doesn't wash out, it's not water soluble and I was told it resists soaps (lipids) too. Basically shy of scrubbing yourself with iron wool it's staying in your skin for a couple of weeks.
Not sure if the iron wool would do it, actually - you'd have to strip off virtually all of the skin in the affected areas. The only solution I can think of would be covering those areas with a strong DNA endo- (or, less-usefully, exo-) nuclease.

Maybe I should patent an endonuclease spray and start selling it as a counter...<.<

Rkngl

Feb 17, 2010
galdon2004 said:
but.. what happens if there is a glitch of some sort and it sprayed a customer?

Or.. what if some clerk who had a really bad day decided to spray a rude customer?

and now if a police officer sees the innocent person with a glow they are automatically guilty of robbery?
One thing is its matches a specific McD's and so they go back check the cctv and see no robbery you don't get prosecuted and they've found you a nice solid piece of evidence for your lawsuit for defamation of character, assault and whatever other charges you can think of to get millions of dollars and that employee's head on a tray with fries.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Cain_Zeros said:
minuialear said:
Penguin_Factory said:
Now, if someone shows up who wants a handful of cash instead of a handful of french fries, a small device above the exit will activate during his or her getaway, covering the bandit's skin and clothing with a synthetic DNA strand made up of sixty separate chromosomes
Spot the science goof and win a prize (no actual prizes will be given).
Yeah, DNA strands aren't made of chromosomes...it's the other way around.

Also, why do they need 60 chromosomes in the first place?
Because apparently "glow under a UV light in some way that can be used to identify the branch" is fairly complicated. Even though I'm pretty sure DNA in general glows under a UV light.
They're probably (I'm assuming) using fluorescent tags, which wouldn't be attached to normal DNA. But why would one need to make a DNA mixture of 60 chromosomes for this kind of thing? It's not like if you took cell samples from a glowing robber and stared at the DNA, it would be hard to separate the glowing chromosomes from the normal ones (or, at least, it's not like having sixty kinds of glowing chromosomes is going to make the job a lot easier than having, say, ten glowing chromosomes). So why not just shoot a concentrated amount of 1-10 chromosomes?

Admittedly I've been out of genetics for awhile, so I could be forgetting something that would explain the reason. But so far it seems unnecessary.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
This will still either deter crime or help catch the perpetrators. You can argue that there are ways of avoiding the DNA spray, and that's true - buy disposable clothes, gloves, ski-mask, goggles, and then throw/burn all your clothes when you're done. BUT - that requires planning. Most criminals are stupid/lazy/ignorant people who commit crimes either on the spur-of-the-moment or with minimal thought. Why do so many criminals forget to wear even a simple mask during robberies? It's because they often put one or two hour's "preparation" into robbing a place, or none at all. Criminals are for the most part, idiots. Remember that guy who robbed a store, but not before filling out a in-store job application form listing his real name and address? Or those two idiots who thought that scribbling each other's faces with black marker pen would be an effective "disguise" and tried to rob a bank?

The vast majority of criminals are morons who will be caught by this technology if they run into it.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
minuialear said:
Cain_Zeros said:
minuialear said:
Penguin_Factory said:
Now, if someone shows up who wants a handful of cash instead of a handful of french fries, a small device above the exit will activate during his or her getaway, covering the bandit's skin and clothing with a synthetic DNA strand made up of sixty separate chromosomes

Because apparently "glow under a UV light in some way that can be used to identify the branch" is fairly complicated. Even though I'm pretty sure DNA in general glows under a UV light.
They're probably (I'm assuming) using fluorescent tags, which wouldn't be attached to normal DNA. But why would one need to make a DNA mixture of 60 chromosomes for this kind of thing? It's not like if you took cell samples from a glowing robber and stared at the DNA, it would be hard to separate the glowing chromosomes from the normal ones (or, at least, it's not like having sixty kinds of glowing chromosomes is going to make the job a lot easier than having, say, ten glowing chromosomes). So why not just shoot a concentrated amount of 1-10 chromosomes?

Admittedly I've been out of genetics for awhile, so I could be forgetting something that would explain the reason. But so far it seems unnecessary.
From what I can tell:
UV-Fluorescent Adhesive: Used to identify that the person may have been involved in the robbery
DNA Tag: Used to figure out who they robbed

I'm guessing there's either something very easy involved in producing entire chromosomes, or that they're saying "chromosome" because very few people know what "plasmid" means.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
minuialear said:
Penguin_Factory said:

I assume, because it wouldn't glow under UV light otherwise, also it would make comparative analysis that much more accurate, one chromosome might not be very good evidence, but 60 might be.