Australia's Atkinson Has No Time For Nerds

Music Mole

Apr 15, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
I dont live in australia and if i did i would probably agree with this man. I dont know the first thing about his politics and for all intent and purposes he probably is a twat but his simple statement is probably true. He does have a high placed job with more important decisions on his desk than why someone cant buy GTAIV for their xbox.
Why is he then able to find time to write letters, refute gamers and spend alot more time talking about games then any other topic.

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
Broloth said:
What game do you rape a mother and two daughters in? I want to check it out if anything but for the spectacle; and the most I've cut people in half with in shooting games is a chain saw where are these high calibre "knife" bullets?
I honestly have no freaking clue what Atkie's talking about. What game encourages steroid abuse? I have yet to run into a sports game that does such. I haven't ran into a game where you rape a mother and her 2 daughters either (Thankfully.), nor have I ran into a game that rewards you for blowing yourself up.

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
Eatbrainz said:
Thinking he's right and everyone else is wrong, even with the whole world against him.

I think we've found Uwe Boll's long lost brother.
Except that somehow, Atkinson is more of douche than Uwe Boll.

That takes a lot of douchebaggery to be worse than Uwe Boll.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
presidentjlh said:
I honestly have no freaking clue what Atkie's talking about. What game encourages steroid abuse? I have yet to run into a sports game that does such. I haven't ran into a game where you rape a mother and her 2 daughters either (Thankfully.), nor have I ran into a game that rewards you for blowing yourself up.
The rape game is the notorious 'RapeLay'. Japanese game that is only available in Japan I believe, despite the R18+ rating being employed in many other countries. Just because it's R18+ doesn't mean all games are automatically accepted.

The drug/sports game is called Blitz: The League, a sports game where you could use drugs to boost performance, but if you got busted there were harsh penalties. The beneficial drug use is also what got Fallout 3 changed. Med-X and Jet weren't originally called that, but in fact used the proper names of drugs.

I don't know about the other 2 really.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
He is a bit of a cock end isn't he.

Then again I live in Australia and only a few games (Worth mentioning) experience the might of the governemnt.

And is it just me or did the whole demand for an R rating and for mikeys blood all come to a head when left 4 dead 2 was banned then censored here?

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
kawligia said:
If 18+gamers == nerds && 18+games == violence
Then nerds == violent

And If violence == crime && crime == jail
Then jail == nerds

Else nerds != violent && Atkinson's == fail
Doesn't the exclamation mark go behind nerds?

OT: He's a real life internet troll! I hope he's fired sometime soon.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
You have to wonder how wrong somebody can be. I mean, where are the limits? At what point does Atkinson just explode and become a Dwarf Star as the universe attempts to correct its horrible, horrible mistake?

As you might have guessed, I'm not a fan of his. The issue here is so much bigger than gaming-this goes right to free speech and expression. While I'm well aware many places do not actually have free speech legislation, in my opinion they all SHOULD. Everyone should have the right to create whatever they want (keeping in mind that it's all fake, people. Like with movies). If people don't want to see it (and it's rated for adults) they can always not look. If people don't want their kids getting a game they shouldn't be playing, maybe the parents should do their freaking job and put a little time and effort into protecting their kids.

But really, by this point? It's all Atkinson. It's all him. R ratings do nothing but properly classify materials. With the system Australia currently has, games get improperly classified all the time as companies make "quick fix" adjustments to formerly R18+ games and they get classified as 15+ or whatever. That's just stupid.