Author Claims Assassin's Creed Set-Up Was His Idea

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I have the solution:
AC3 drops the Desmond plotline. Pretty sure no one would care, and we wouldn't have to worry about any Animus-stealing.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Kinguendo said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

Why did he not sue over this 4 Assasins Creed installments ago?
... Might not be a gamer?
I find it very hard to believe that he's not picked it up before now. There's what 8 games now and a comic series and everything. Even if the idea for the animus came from his book, it's not enough to sue them for. People use other people's ideas all the time. The writers for Pocohontas, now they have case, but this guy definitely not.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
Actually the game (first part) is based on a book called Alamut but they had permission to use some of it's premise as a game.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
idarkphoenixi said:
The "story" of Assassins creed really isn't anything to brag about...The whole thing is just one giant mess really. I dare anyone to explain it to me and still sound coherrent

I never liked the idea of the animus machine, it just seemed forced in as a way to squeeze out more sequels, and guess what? That's exactly what they've been doing every year.
AC never holds any weight to it. For one, the difficulty is laughably easy and two, everything is just a "dream" (oh, I'm sorry: Memory) so what exactly is compelling me to keep playing? Certainly not the characters, Desmond is about as bland as cardboard soup (wait thats unfair, even soup can be interesting).
I never thought the Animus was that bad. I thought it was actually kind of a neat way to explain some of the gameplay mechanics in a way that made sense in-universe.

Though I know some people saw it as a cop out, but I dug it.

OT: I can't help but wonder if he's waiting till now because the series is worth more or if he genuinely didn't know.

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
RJ 17 said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

The same reason the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF) waited 20 something years before suing the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and made them change their name to WWE.
Heh, heh, heh... I see you saw the same reasoning that I did (by the way, damn, ninja'd). That's just hilarious.

Daaaah Whoosh said:
I have the solution:
AC3 drops the Desmond plotline. Pretty sure no one would care, and we wouldn't have to worry about any Animus-stealing.
Well, I would kind of care. I don't like Desmond. ... At all (fuck Desmond), but it would be nice to hear some insight from characters I actually care about, like that one british guy that I can't remember the name of. He's okay. But Desmond can rot in hell. Here's what I think would happen if the world was a fair, honest place.

"If I am to lose this lawsuit, may an assassin strike me down where I--- AHHH!!! *coughs out blood* ...Why?"
"You have committed a great evil. You brought this upon yourself. Requieste de pace."

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Beliyal said:
The first poster already said what I wanted to say. First game got out 5 years ago. I love how these "I'm suing because you totally stole my idea" people are always kinda late to the party. Like they have been evaluating if the franchise that "stole" from them will become famous enough for them to do some money-grabbing. Also, they all seem to be poor at grasping the fact that most ideas humans have are quite similar. There's probably tons of people who had similar ideas to the Animus; just because two thing might bare some similarities, does not mean one stole from the other. It could simply be a coincidence.

Kinguendo said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

Still, AC games are quite well-known even among non-gamers. I know plenty of people who don't play games, but know about Assassin's Creed. But of course, it's perfectly possible that he didn't know about an insanely popular game franchise. However, why on Earth does he believe that Ubisoft has heard of, let alone read, his completely unknown and non-marketed book, which is, above all, only self-published [http://www.infinitypublishing.com/]?
Well its not the first time, someones attempted to sue a game/movie after its been released. (You can sue for more, if they make more) Matrix as an example... (Though as i found out, that lady never did actually 'win' that court case.... learn something new everyday!)

However, if this guy claims 'ubi' stole his idea...
then I contend, that he stole ideas from Frank Herbert.
His entire series is based on Genetic Memory, and people accessing them. (Meaning the main Character in assassin's Creed = Kwisatz Haderach... )
(I acutally still think theres a this plot connection between AC & Dune, not saying 'stole' but as a general 'guide line')

As for the religion thing brought up in the original article...
The Religion in Assassin's Creed isn't 'just' because of the time period it takes place in,but also the 'factions' involved = Religious Factions. Hell, AC2 pretty much challanges the whole garden of eden Idea big time.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
'Religion is mentioned particularly in the first Assassin's Creed because it, well, is set during the Third Crusade.'

Well, the entire series is about religion.

But yeah, it's just a thing - it's like Tolkien suing someone because they had a magical piece of clothing at the centre of their story.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
nikki191 said:
while most of these cases are money grubbing attempts, it is possible. as for someone waiting this long to make a claim. unless you know someone who plays it and describes assassins creed to you or you play it yourself you wouldnt know about the animus plot device.

i know from personal experience it was only a year or two ago when i sat down to play the first game that i first found out about it
So, this guy doesn't know the plot-device of a multimillion dollar game advertised everywhere, but somebody on their team knows the plot of this self-published piece of crap book?

Toby Kitching

Oct 24, 2011
oh my god, the first page in the preview...

...but even this caused him to double his grip on the paddle, since the movement of her voice was clearly accelerating away from him to his back as his boat moved faster towards the experience
I've read that sentence 5 times and I still don't understand what he's on about.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I have the solution:
The problem is, when you really think about it, Desmond's plotline is the MAIN plotline of AC. Yeah, the majority of the games are spent faffing about in the past, but why are they faffing about in the past? To find clues on how to save the future and prevent the catastrophe that is apparently about to strike.

Not saying that I like the Desmond and Gang segments of the games, but those segments are the REAL story of the AC series.

:p And yeah, I know how depressing that is.

The Crazy Legs said:
RJ 17 said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

The same reason the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF) waited 20 something years before suing the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and made them change their name to WWE.
Heh, heh, heh... I see you saw the same reasoning that I did (by the way, damn, ninja'd). That's just hilarious.
You've got to be quick! :p

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
TrilbyWill said:
Kinguendo said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

So he never heard of the series until AC3?
I find that incredibly hard to believe.
You'd be surprised what people outside of certain communities are ignorant (Read: Doesn't know, not stupid) of. Lot of things I don't about that some people were like "WHAT. HOW."
Example? I didn't know about Doctor Who until like, a year ago. Or so.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
idarkphoenixi said:
The "story" of Assassins creed really isn't anything to brag about...The whole thing is just one giant mess really. I dare anyone to explain it to me and still sound coherrent
Desmond Miles is a young bartender living in New York. He is suddenly kidnapped by a large pharmaceutical company, Abstergo Industries and forced to undergo experimental tests. These tests involve Desmond to sit in a machine called the Animus to relive his ancestor's memories. It is in these memories that Abstergo wishes to find the source of ultimate power for it is revealed that Desmond is part of this underground community known as the Assassin Brotherhood and Abstergo is a branch of the Knights Templar and Desmond is the descendant of the Assassin who held the source of ultimate power, the Apple(s) of Eden. As it turns out, the main assistant at Abstergo is actually an Assassin who helps Desmond escape and from here it is a race against time as Abstergo and Desmond with a small group of Assassin's both try to reach the Apple.

Ummm... yeah, turns out the stuff with Altair and Ezio is backstory and filler...

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Why would he call dibs on the dumbest part of that series? I like assassin's creed but I hate the set up. I'd be much happier without the futuristic set up.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
6SteW6 said:
It's amazing how, on his Amazon page, all these people decided to write a review on the same day (April 18, 2012) about the lack of talent the author posseses and mediocrity of this book. It's also amazing how it seems to coincide with the release of this article online.

So glad to see factual, non biased reviews on amazon from people who have clearly read the material and are totally not fanboys at all. Morons.
I agree. That's the kind of reaction that's setting us back as a community, or that's at the very least painting a negative portrait of the gamer culture.

Like we're all rabid little shits who will gleefully pounce on anything that even remotely threatens our electronic babies - including elements that pose no threat at all.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
All those people complaining about 4 games later: Do you realize he might not be a gamer, right?

Its not like media advertisement is common knowledge. The focus of the Assassins Creed marketing campaign was never into "the matrix-like story about conspiracies and relieving the memories of past descendants", and more into "play as a guy that lives in , and kills ". Even among gamers, you could find people that didn't know Assassins Creed had some virtual reality implications.

Not that he has grounds to suing (the concept is hardly new), but videogames story is hardly popular culture.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
leahzero said:
Did you guys see the tagline on his novel?

John Beiswenger said:
What better place to look beyond than through the mind of one who saw to that point but no further?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I'm not sure what's weirder. This guy suing now after 4 games, or the fact that I could actually understand that tagline. Don't ask me to put it into simpler terms though, I'm not that skilled with the English language.
What better way to look past yourself then by experiencing it through someone that was there. But, never experienced anything past what you want to see.

I.E if you wanted to see the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, what better way then to see it through the eyes of the killer. However, if you see it through his eyes you wont know what Abe was thinking/doing before the murder. You'll only see what the killer saw.

This in it's self should disprove the Assassins Creed connection because it's open world. You control the assassin, you aren't along for the ride. You are the ride.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Kinguendo said:
gigastar said:
Okay...

That was my reaction.

And while its not quite the same, shouldn't Total Recall writers sue him for having a machine where he can be in a virtual environment or maybe the Matrix for that matter.

Or about reliving past lives... how about Quantum Leap?

Everyone borrows ideas from left right and centre. Should Call of Duty sue Medal of Honor for copying their idea to move from WWII to modern times?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Just out of interest, why is he only bringing this up now? Assassin's Creed has been out for a while and the Animus is fairly central to the plot, so he'd just have had to hear a small amount about the game to figure it out. Even if he never played the game, surely someone he knows would have and could have pointed out the similarity? It just seems very unlikely that he's only just stumbled onto the fact that Assassin's Creed has some similarities to Link, although that might just be my bias to knowing a fair amount about the game.