Avatar: The Game Puts the Hurt on Ubisoft

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
So it has come to this. A gaming website decides a game sucks by reading a wikipedia entry...and everyone hops on board.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
"We all have our ideas of what a truly good Avatar game would be like"
Yes. Having NO Avatar game at allwould be fantastic, in my opinion.

Also, HAVE to post this Escapist sotry for the megalols.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93615-Ubisoft-Thinks-Avatar-Could-Be-Next-Harry-Potter

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Zerbye said:
So it has come to this. A gaming website decides a game sucks by reading a wikipedia entry...and everyone hops on board.
Wrong. The game sucks because the game sucks. People not buying it has nothing to do with this article. People aren't buying it because it sucks.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Oh hey, a movie game sucked. It's good to know that some things never change. It gives me a feeling of security.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
DarkSaber said:
Zerbye said:
Wrong. The game sucks because the game sucks. People not buying it has nothing to do with this article. People aren't buying it because it sucks.
I don't doubt the game sucks. But the proof in this article is by viewing trailers and a wikipedia entry. Using that as proof is weak.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
I think the idea is that the game started development in a very early stadium of the film's conception, whereas most games based on films need to be rushed, which tends to become obvious when playing.
Interviews mention the story wasn't just the film's retold, but a whole new thing.
You can't just translate a story from one medium to the next line by line and expect it will still work, so I figured, and still figure, a different story is a good thing.
Apparently some vehicle designs went back and forth between the film and the game, meaning Ubisoft influenced the film the some degree.
Even after the game's release I read that James Cameron plans on talking with Ubisoft for input again while he's working on the sequel, although I suppose he may not have seen the game sales yet.
Even if he did, perhaps Ubisoft's ideas were better suited for the film than apparently the game, and bad game sales don't necessarily mean James Cameron doesn't like the game either.

Anyway, my point is Ubisoft as well as JC made a bit of a deal of how they worked together, did a lot of things in order to make the game not suck.
Now the people not liking the game tell us that wasn't enough.
I haven't played the game yet, but as an Avatar fan I definitely will.
It's really too bad I probably won't like it like I do the film either. :(

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
I really enjoyed the movie, so I obviously wasn't going to ruin the memory of it by playing some half baked action game. One of the amazing parts of the movie were how well the navi were animated, one look at the back of the game looks like somebody first attempt in a 10 year old 3d modelling program.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
The best licensed game crown still belongs to Treasure:

"Astro Boy: Omega Factor" for the GBA

Hehehe... that was a pretty cool game. I should review it sometime (once I get through the wave of PC/PS3 titles I'm playing.)

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
DarkSaber said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93615-Ubisoft-Thinks-Avatar-Could-Be-Next-Harry-Potter
You would prefer no Avatar game to having a fantastic Avatar game that's the only thing you end up playing for months?
Well, maybe you're just not a gamer, but otherwise I simply don't believe that.

As for the article you linked, I don't see the "megalols".
As far as I can see, Avatar has established itself as a very strong brand, and I wouldn't be surprised if it evolves in a similar way to HP.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Retodon8 said:
DarkSaber said:

You would prefer no Avatar game to having a fantastic Avatar game that's the only thing you end up playing for months?
Well, maybe you're just not a gamer, but otherwise I simply don't believe that.

As for the article you linked, I don't see the "megalols".
As far as I can see, Avatar has established itself as a very strong brand, and I wouldn't be surprised if it evolves in a similar way to HP.
No, I just really hate Avatar. Being a gamer made the film utterly unimpressive to me.

The megalols come from Ubisoft raving about how big the franchise is going to be (back then) whilst now their "Harry Potter" level game tie-in is tanking hard and taking them with it.

EDIT: Actually, I've finally placed the nagging feeling that I've seen Avatar in game form somewhere before. It was called Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Zerbye said:
DarkSaber said:
Zerbye said:
I don't doubt the game sucks. But the proof in this article is by viewing trailers and a wikipedia entry. Using that as proof is weak.
Viewing trailers and a wikipedia entry. AND THE FACT THE GAME IS FLOPPING HARD.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Woodsey said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Woodsey said:
This is why Conviction has been delayed (a-fucking-gain) - to compensate for this dragging down this fiscal year.

It's not for more "polish" like the say, I'd put money on it.
WAIT WHAT THE FUCK, IT'S BEEN DELAYED AGAIN?! ... It's time we put James Cameron down for a "nap"...
Yep.

We had a glorious release date, that had been sealed in blood by a trailer dedicated to releasing the exact date - now it's "April 2010".

I fuck you not.

I too went ape shit.
Well, look on the bright side: We'll have time to play some of the other games being released soon while we wait. I'm glad, since there were so many games I wanted to get, and I only had enough money for ME2, Splinter Cell, and then two others. Now I can get Darksiders, ME2, BioShock 2, Army of Two, Dante's Inferno, and Splinter Cell :D
The wait is going to suck, but it'll be all worth it.
[small]Down with James Cameron[/small]
GAAAAAAAAH!

But its ruined my plan - buy Dragon Age to break the wait until ME2, and buy ME2 to to break the wait for SC.

:'(

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Further proof that ANY game made to cash in on a film is shit.

...Except for Goldeneye 007.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
Zerbye is spot on.
The game might be bad, but that's not the way to comment on it.
It's the enthusiasm towards games that i like of Escapist.
Snark I am able to find elsewhere and having passed the age of 12 can even muster some of my own.

The thing is, when I first played the demo of Avatar, it seemed like shit.
Once I gave it a second chance, the game blossomed into something else entirely.
It is flawed maybe, but it is also made with vision.
Anyone else here played and liked it?

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
DarkSaber said:
No, I just really hate Avatar. Being a gamer made the film utterly unimpressive to me.

The megalols come from Ubisoft raving about how big the franchise is going to be (back then) whilst now their "Harry Potter" level game tie-in is tanking hard and taking them with it.

EDIT: Actually, I've finally placed the nagging feeling that I've seen Avatar in game form somewhere before. It was called Giants: Citizen Kabuto.
OK, I guess if you hate a franchise chances aren't too good for liking an associated game. :)

Perhaps the game isn't doing very well, but the brand as a whole seems to.
I imagine many film-goers aren't even aware there is a game, don't care about games or how good they may or may not be.
That's a good thing too, for James Cameron in this situation.
I re-read the article, and they definitely do mention the game specifically as well, so they were only half right.
At least they didn't say they knew for a fact it was going to be big, and everybody sees their own products in a positive light, or at least talks about them like they do. :)

I've played a little bit of Giants back then, so that gives me some idea of Avatar.