Avatar Wins Another Award: Most Pirated Film of 2010

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Diamondback One said:
(PS: I wonder how people who pirate would feel if they made something popular, only to have it pirated as well. Bet it'd feel pretty bad.)
Bet I'd feel pretty damn bland if my popular thing grossed out 2 billion dollars.

OT: Who cares. Avatar made enough money to fund an expedition to the fucking moon.

Ruzzian Roulette

Dec 23, 2008
The fact that Kick-Ass is the number 2 most pirated movie kinda makes me happy.

Makin' me proud, fellow geeks, makin' me proud.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
This is hilarious. I bet James Cameron will release a new movie, entitled

"Fucking pirates stole my money!"

And have it consist of nothing more but him suing every single person who has ever pirated. Ever. With new, amazing CGI showing exactly how much Cameron ruins a teenagers life by suing him off of
100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000$

for downloading his movie once.
And if you pirate it, your computer will launch a razor sharp disc against your dick.

Seriously though, piracy is wrong. But what´s even more wrong is suing people for ridicolous amount of money for a relatively minor crime.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
The torrent technology is an amazing tool. This just proofs it. Now, back to business...

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Subzerowings said:
I'm just going to throw it out there: I hate piracy.
I don't know how many people on this site pirate games, movies, music, etc. but I really can't stand it.
If you like a movie then you buy it.
I don't care if someone has a great quality pirated version while the movie isn't even out yet, I would never dowload that, regardless of the movie.
I really hate getting on the moral high horse, especially when I'm talking about something that's obviously wrong, but I just can't stand it.
My moral system: if I like a game(or movie) and can't find a way to pirate it, I get my parents to buy it for my b-day/christmas :p

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Oskamunda said:
Notice how none of this piracy seems to be hurting Avatar's financial success...
IF you are trying to inch towards the failed argument "Piracy isn't really hurting" I am going to slap you so hard.
Please tell me if the following statement is true or false: I have documented, independently verifiable evidence that individual copyright violation rate has a causative relationship with sales of intellectual property products.

You can explain but please answer true or false first.

The evidence presented in the article is that there is no correlation and that piracy rate is most closely related to "popularity" than any other factor. But if you have evidence to the contrary I would be happy to hear it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Shouldn't most pirated have made less money? Hmm...

Oh I guess we should only look at DVD and BluRay sales, since that's where the "take home to watch it" part is, while in theater is it's own experience.

http://blog.boxofficespy.com/2010/04/avatar-dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-numbers.html

"20th Century Fox is reporting that Avatar a total of 3.2 million copies sold on Thursday, April 22 2010, its first day of release, with a breakdown estimation of 2 million DVD's and 1.2 million Blu-Ray copies sold. One thing to mention here is that the Blu-Ray version of the film represented 37% of the total number of copies sold on the first day of release, which is an extremely large percentage.

These figures easily set the record for single day sales of any movie following its release to the Home Video Market, as well as a historical record high for the Blu-Ray format."

Hmm... still sold the most ever. Interesting.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Huh... I thought for sure Scott Pilgrim would be in the Top 5.

Somehow, I got the impression that torrent sites were drying up. Guess I was wrong.

arbiter592

Jun 1, 2010
I maean, thats cool and all, but why the hell wouldnt you watch it in 3D? Its only worth watching in 3D

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
doggie015 said:
Wolfram01 said:
Hmm... still sold the most ever. Interesting.
Maybe all the piracy is simply a "Try before you buy" thing! :p
I have to be honest, I pirated Borderlands as there was no demo, and I didn't want to waste money on a game I couldn't get a refund for (Steam). After I tried it out I really liked it, so bought it. I guess a small (very, very small) way to help piracy might be to release more demos. People want to try out a game, torrent it, then they like it and have the full game so why buy it?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm sure James Cameron is crying into his pile of money.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Martin Loake said:
Lawl, Cameron must be fuming about this. I bet his next movie will tell the tale about how piracy destroyed the solar system or something of equal importance (Like Youtube).
Or, alternatively, he doesn't give a shit because it still made 2 Billion at the box office and millions more on DVD\Blu-Ray.

Just a thought.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
I have to admit, this is quite funny, you can't be the highest grossing film EVAAAAARRRRR without being the highest pirated film EVVVVAAAAARRR!

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Well apparently pirates have as just as bad taste as movie audiences...yes, yes, I await the 'but Avatar was AWESOME' or 'you needed to view it this way' posts, bear in mind that this is just my opinion and I don't really care whether you liked the film or not.