Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Zac_Dai said:
Mines just a fish because it literally was the first image that I had within size range and people generally don't read posts without avatars.

I could put up a real photo of myself as I'm not a bad looking guy and I'm not bothered about anonymity.

Most girls generally do though as they need confirmation that they are attractive and its easy to get complements on forums this way. I'm not saying that in a nasty way either, I'm not being judgemental, we all need to get those confidence boosts some how.

Gxas said:
My avatar is a picture of me because I like it that way. Why do I need a reason?
When ever I see your avatar I can't help but think of the line "I TERRORIZE j00!!" and imagine you making people cry on MMOs (its a compliment).
Hey, Its what I do.

Mar 17, 2009
stinkychops said:
The infamous SCAMola said:
I'm too lazy and technoligically retarded to actually upload and resize a pic of myself.

Also, Tyler Durden is awesome. If you don't think so too then you should swallow a bullet.
Did you have this avatar ages ago? I remember it from when I lurked.
No, first time. Haven't seen anyone else with it, so I call dibbs on it.
And if there was someone else with it then he isn't a regular poster and I ain't seen him.

salbarragan

Feb 23, 2009
Labyrinth said:
It's because I'm sexy. You see that classic profile? The elegant curve to the bowler, the silken hair? God, who wouldn't want my face on their avatar? Okay, I'll admit it, I just want to be recognised! Can you imagine someone walking up to you in the street and going "Hey, you're that amazing chick of that fantastic forum! I wish to shake you by the hand!" as an ego boost?

Sarcastic egotism aside it's a way of making my posts personal. It's me saying them. Here is my smiling face to associate with the ideas I have. I also really like the picture. Other people probably have much the same reason as I do.
Surprisingly I have seen you post in other forums before X-D

As a firm believer that you never actually meet the person, just that person's PR rep, I believe my Live Profile is perfect. It looks like me, if tweaked to look how I like to think people see me. He wears a fedora (which I love to wear) and he has a scar over his eye. I have a scar over that eye and I figured that it was a nice touch! Although mine is not that prominent, in my mind, I think that it is that huge.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Cause i couldn't imagine anything else that would represent me this well.
I also use my real name and initials of my surnames for my screen name.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Because I lost all my images and this is the only one I have left.
plus im lazy

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
Because I couldn't think of anything interesting to put

Plus it kinda gives a totally impersonal account some personality I guess

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
If I wasn't technologically retarded I'd make a gif of me doing a backflip or something but alas, I am retarded in the ways of the machine. Seeing all you lovely people has inspired me to put of picture of me, I might do it as soon as no one's home.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Because these people can' understand the rules of internet anonymity. The less you post about yourself, the less you can be tracked down and ridiculed every where you go. Like that girl that stole the phone or that guy that thought he was talking to a teenage girl when it was actually anonymous.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Dont you mean self photos as avatars? Avatars as self-photos would mean that my avatar would be on my Driver's License or something.

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
stinkychops said:
la-le-lu-li-lo said:
it makes it more apparent that i'm a girl,
and gives people a bit more insight into my posts.

if that makes any sense.
So you believe that the fact you are a girl changes the way your content should be percieved?
Do you feel that 'girl' posts should be read differently to 'guy' posts?
I don't know wether your a girl btw, half the time the pictures are of the peoples gf's/stalked acquantances/random famous people I don't recognize.
yes, i am a girl.

and yes, i also think being a girl affects my point of view to a point, just like the fact that i'm an american and a child of divorce. it's all a part of what makes me who i am, so i think if people realize i'm a girl a post like me complaining about it being terribly difficult to create an attractive character in fallout will make more sense.

generally speaking that is, that's just an example.

dontworryaboutit

May 18, 2009
I'm too lazy and technologically retarded to actually upload and resize a pic of myself.

Also, Tyler Durden is awesome. If you don't think so too then you should swallow a bullet.
I have seen what you did there.
stinkychops said:
I'm too lazy and technoligically retarded to actually upload and resize a pic of myself.

Did you have this avatar ages ago? I remember it from when I lurked.
He used to have Taxi Driver. Then he broke my heart.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
I post a pic of myself because I don't have anything to hide, I feel i'm a pretty good looking guy, worked hard to not be fat anymore, and its about as personal as a avatar can get.

goatzilla8463

Dec 11, 2008
bodyklok said:
I don't know why your complaining, most of the people I've seen doing it have been women, and all most all of them (On The Escapist at lest) have been pretty hawt.
*Ahem*

Matronadena

*Ahem*