Awakened Shows What Midway's Hero Could Have Been

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Awakened Shows What Midway's Hero Could Have Been

Former Midway developers have formed a new studio and are showing off a new game that's incredibly similar to the now-canceled game, Hero.

Back in July, it was revealed that Midway had been working on a game called Hero. Hero was one of the projects that was shut down by the company's financial woes. The game looked like it was a grittier, more open-ended version of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Infamous-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK7ZOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296245397&sr=8-1>Infamous, and it seemed like a shame that the game would never see the light of day. Now, it turns out that Hero's development team has formed its own studio and is working on a very similar game.

The new studio is called Phosphor Games. Subsequently, the new game is called Awakened and the trailer for the game shows what seems to be a fascinating, open world for players to either save or terrorize. Looking at Awakened's early gameplay, <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXbHxONdNw>there are a lot of similar elements to Hero, though Awakened seems like it's got an even more open world that seems less-gritty (though no less mature) than its predecessor.

The trailer doesn't really reveal much about Awakened, but it shows a lot of impressive-looking action set pieces. The concept of an action game starring a fully-customizable superhuman certainly sounds promising. At the moment, the game doesn't have a publisher attached. That said, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't snatch up the publishing rights in the near future, based on this trailer.

Source: Joystiq

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
That is some of the stiffest character animation I've seen in recent years, hopefully they get changed before final release.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
From what the trailer shows the game looks like it could be very interesting, looks like there are at least some options for what powers you have.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
The character animations look rather stiff, however I'm such this will be fixed with some more better animations. It looks promising. Could you make your own hero / Villain with it's own custom super power/s?

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Get rid of the PS2 level animation, and you'd have a pretty cool looking game there.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
This has got my attention. It better turn out good, or I will not be happy.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Get rid of the PS2 level animation, and you'd have a pretty cool looking game there.
If a publisher picks it up, its likely that the animation level would improve due to increased funding...

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I read about hero and I'm glad this project is so similar to it. I've been waiting a loooooong time for an open world super-hero game where you make your own hero, so pleeeeeeease someone pick this up.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
<Youtube=ilXbHxONdNw>

It's the same game. They've been working on this since 2009? Surely, they should be picked up.

Finally, super enemies, instead of just the military or gangs like in inFamous/Prototype. Love the physics capabilities.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
WrongSprite said:
That. Also, the beyond shitty explosions.

The narration is really cheesy too, but I could get over it.

geoflo1024

Jun 7, 2010
It does look like it has great ideas, but good God man. This has some of the worst animations I've seen in a current gen. Everything looks like it's moving so slow and stiff. I'm not complaining about the graphics: good graphics do not a game make. But the game animates in such a way that it doesn't look fun at all.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Looks kinda cool. Might keep a close eye on it if some more juicy information get out on it in the next couple of weeks.

And is it just me, or does the music in the video kinda sound like something Sigur Rós does, or is it just me?

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Once they get a publisher, the quality will increase drastically, this is really just concept gameplay, no polish at all.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
ahh, saeglopur - sigur ros... great song...

this game doesnt look very impressive...
odd animations, samey guns and what looks already to be a spammy physics-object-moving... errr... move. released as it is now, its not something id be interested in, not without a damn good reference from a friend.

RanD00M said:
And is it just me, or does the music in the video kinda sound like something Sigur Rós does, or is it just me?
how can you know that and not know that its saeglopur? >.>

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Moeez said:
<Youtube=ilXbHxONdNw>

It's the same game. They've been working on this since 2009? Surely, they should be picked up.

Finally, super enemies, instead of just the military or gangs like in inFamous/Prototype. Love the physics capabilities.
What the fuck? That game looks far better!

What happened? I mean, I know it was cancelled and all, but didn't they still have that? Were all their files deleted or something?

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
I'd love to see this one day as a finished product. It clearly needs alot of work but this game reminds me of the TV series Heroes. I think that this could turn out better than Infamous did.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
Moeez said:
<Youtube=ilXbHxONdNw>

What the fuck? That game looks far better!

What happened? I mean, I know it was cancelled and all, but didn't they still have that? Were all their files deleted or something?
Very likely, yeah. It's unlikely they actually own the ip or any of the game files since its just some of the original team that split and made a new studio. They will have started from scratch.

Well, visually it looks like arse, but obviously it's very early in development. The concept is very interesting though, got a lot of potential.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
The fire/explosion animations are awful. But the game has a good concept and I loved the one that enters the bodies of enemies, as I loved it in Prototype.