Back in Your Hole

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I downloaded it and 100%ed it within a couple of days and was about to delete it when I found out the DMCA notice was issued, so I might hold on to it now.

gact

May 26, 2014
can someone explain how is the game infinging copyright? isnt it that as long as you dont make money off it then you are good to go? because otherwise all fanart could be clammed as infringing copyright

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
Halyah said:
Awh can't believe I managed to miss out on this before Ninty went DMCA on it.
There's links out there. Check the post where the Escapist posted that it was taken down. Someone posted a download.

Nevermind it was on Gamnesia. Here you go.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/the-amazing-fan-made-remake-of-metroid-ii-has-officially-been-taken-down
https://my.mixtape.moe/owpfrf.zip

Naturally Sound

Jul 30, 2014
Unlike the West, Japan does not care for Samus...or Metroid in general. I won't be surprised if this is why Nintendo is slowly turning into Konami with their more-or-less dead or dying franchises.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Wow... seeing how fast the unofficial remake disappeared I'm glad I saw a news post about it and downloaded the files immediatly. Will do the same with Pok?mon Uranium as soon as I get home from work.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Smithnikov said:
aegix drakan said:
It wouldn't be so harsh if Nintendo was actually doing something with the series. (Federation Force doesn't count.)
Now you know how us Streets of Rage fans felt, especially in regards to Bomberman's phenomenal remake.

But as people have stated elsewhere, the game is done and out there. Like Streets of Remake, just gotta wait for it to poke it's head out every once in a while.
Fortunately its currently easy to find. With nothing but a google search for "AM2R Download" i found it in minutes

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
The Wooster said:
Back in Your Hole

UNLICENSED. UNCLEAN.

Read Full Article
I really don't feel for Samus here because that is Other M Samus, and I always hated that design of Samus ever since I first saw it:

Now if used the Samus of Metroid Prime:

Than I would have agreed with you.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
As a Star Fox fan, I feel for Metroid fans (though take I take a slight amount of umbrage at their insistence of Nintendo's neglect of the franchise when it gotten much more attention that Star Fox), I really dislike their actions in this case.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Souplex said:
gigastar said:
Honestly you would think that with Nintendos historic attitude to unlisenced ports/remakes of its old games that fans wouldnt bother knowing they would get served a C&D the moment Nint peeked out of its own rectum.
The way copyright law works, they're obligated to.
If you "Fail to defend your copyright", that "Failure" can be used as evidence against you in future copyright cases. Companies are forced to be insanely overzealous with their application of copyright.
IANAL, but my understanding is that this isn't actually true. From the first two websites to show up on Google after a search of "failure to defend copyright" [Google is your friend, people]:

http://www.firstventurelegal.com/2014/05/27/supreme-court-says-failure-to-defend-copyright-not-completely-fatal-to-infringement-claims/
"The lesson for entrepreneurs to take away from Petrella is that just because a copyright holder hasn?t decided to defend its copyright (even for a period of decades) doesn?t mean that they won?t or can?t sue for damages, even if you have already invested time and resources in reliance on that non-action.... So if you want to use copyrighted material, always obtain the copyright holder?s permission, even if others have been infringing on the work with no sign of protest for years."

http://www.legalmetro.com/library/copyright-law-explained.html
"5) "If you don't defend your copyright you lose it." and "Somebody has that name copyrighted!"

These two myths are also false. Most often, the name you apply to trademarks can end up being weakened or lost, if they?re not defended. Let?s use an example. Delta Airlines owns the term ?Delta? but only if it?s applied to air travel. Delta Hotels owns this copyright when it refers to hotels. Using a trademark in a way that infringes on the value of the original is prohibited by copyright laws."

gact said:
can someone explain how is the game infinging copyright? isnt it that as long as you dont make money off it then you are good to go? because otherwise all fanart could be clammed as infringing copyright
Technically, most fanart is infringing copyright. It's just not worth suing over. You can't get blood from a turnip, and the company would have to prove monetary damages first anyway.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
VaporWare said:
Mike Richards said:
There's a lot of misunderstanding about how Trademark, Copyright and IP Law in general actually work (there's a very strong tendency for people to conflate them, since they generally relate to the same things, but cover different aspects of a thing and how they're used), and it's worth noting that 'video games' are still a very young part of entertainment media. I'm hoping this will go in a direction that helps establish some better precedent (for instance, handling this sort of fan-project in a manner akin to how the music industry handles cover versions of songs), but a lot depends on how the conversation goes once Nintendo is actually 'aware' of all this.

Right now, we can't even be sure that they're really paying attention as an organization...DMCA notices are kind of crazy easy to throw out there (as we've seen on YouTube, you don't even actually have to be the actual owner of the content in question to throw a DMCA at someone: the claim itself /is enough/ for most service providers to shrug and say 'Whelp, good luck with that.' and shut it down). The fact that they issued a DMCA but have not actually sent AM2R a C&D letter says something here...AM2R is actually continuing /work/ on the project even though they can't /distribute/ it because of the DMCA.

Nintendo /might/ come to terms with AM2R, but we're still in this vague left-hand-right-hand disconnect space until it gets to the attention of someone higher on the food chain (who can make actual decisions about these things) than whatever random watchdog clerk, intern or robot tossed the DMCA up in the first place.

It's really still too early to judge the situation with finality.
That's more or less what I mean. I keep hoping the precedent will start piling up too. The law is struggling to catch up to reality for a wide array of reasons, and for an equally wide array of reasons doesn't seem to be making much actual, helpful progress. If anything, the fact that a DMCA was issued (likely by a random clerk/intern/robot as you pointed out), when by all accounts a C&D would be the more expected and appropriate response is a big part of my problem with the whole situation. Call it half a legal/moral issue, half a 'spurned-fandom' issue.

I'm certainly no expert so maybe this is actually supposed to be part of it's jurisdiction, but in my experience I've never seen a DMCA issued against a pure intellectual property issue. I've only ever seen one called in when there are concerns of direct piracy IE: actual resources of a work are being distributed illegally. If AM2R had been made with actual sprites or sounds ripped from the existing games then I would better understand the filing.

But seeing as by my understanding it was entirely composed of original content in the image of Nintendo's IP, I would assume a C&D would be the more surefire bet, at the very least so there wouldn't be any gray area. A C&D puts them unquestionably in the legal right: It says Metroid, they own Metroid, knock it off. But by my reckoning the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is such a poorly understood framework whose implications are so complicated to say the least, I literally can't figure out why you wouldn't go for the sure thing.

It feels like inviting potential questions about the claim that they'd have no reason to risk, and considering the job of a good legal team is closing holes like that before they ever even open it just strikes me as a bizarre move. More than anything it strikes me as a move that could have quite easily never even reached the legal team (the clerk/intern/robot problem again), and those implications make me very uncomfortable in general. Yes it's all supposition in the end, but I really don't like how easy it is to suppose or lack of any real evidence to the contrary.

Either way the fact that the DMCA isn't perfect isn't really what bothers me, that's inevitable. You have an imperfect system until you can move on to a better imperfect system, and so on. What bothers me is I have been given zero reason to think that the people responsible for this system have any idea that there are parts of it that aren't working.

I have zero faith in their ability to recognize, for example, the ludicrous Fair Use violations that have been taking place on Youtube for years now because I'm honestly not sure how many of them care that Youtube exists. The 'guilty until proven innocent' approach in practice is clearly weighted against content creators and in favor of companies large enough to be perfectly capable of defending themselves without the extra help, and I have to assume that the only reason it's been allowed to carry on for as long as it has in the face of the problems it poses is that either no one who's calling the shots is aware of these problems, or no one cares.

And as far as this specific case is concerned, I have zero faith in Nintendo for recognizing this as an opportunity and not as an insect to be squashed. Maybe I'm just being cynical, in fact it's more then likely. But after years of questionable actions that suggest they have little idea what fans want, little idea what the shape of the modern industry is in general, and ultimately that they have little idea what would actually be beneficial to them in the long run, I just don't trust their decision making anymore. I would love nothing more then to be wrong, but it's gonna take a hell of a lot of effort on their part to turn that around.

Sorry, that went on for a bit longer then I was expecting. TL;DR: I have serious problems with the application of the DMCA, the choices Nintendo have made over the past several years haven't been great ones, and Clerk/Intern/Robot sounds like a sitcom.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Screw Nintendo, screw Other M and screw not making a new good Metroid.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
the irony of the very country who's culture ignored Trademark law the most for the sake of Artistic expression ... being home to the company that's quickly become the biggest Trademark and Copyright-claiming killjoys in all of American social media. ...just because it was already the norm here. NO Nintendo...that's not how you keep growing a fanbase, not even here.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Nintendo: "NO! No brightly-colored, family-friendly shit for you, Samus! Back to the grey, grim-n-gritty place for you!"

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
AM2R was a lot of fun, and I would've bought it for 10 bucks on steam. I'm really glad there are still people who make metroid games, even if they have to do it outside of the legal spectrum. It's better than no metroid games at all.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Souplex said:
gigastar said:
Honestly you would think that with Nintendos historic attitude to unlisenced ports/remakes of its old games that fans wouldnt bother knowing they would get served a C&D the moment Nint peeked out of its own rectum.
The way copyright law works, they're obligated to.
If you "Fail to defend your copyright", that "Failure" can be used as evidence against you in future copyright cases. Companies are forced to be insanely overzealous with their application of copyright.
Nintendo do often go too far with some of these things. The I just struggle to blame them for it, as they want to maintain their squeaky clean image.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I managed to snag a copy and it is really well done. A shame more people won't get a chance to play it, especially because it literally costs Nintendo nothing.