Bad Webcomics

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Souplex said:
There are quite a few.
I don't want to keep you here all day though, so I'll just give you the really popular ones that are terrible, and deserve to be taken down a few pegs.
XKCD, Questionable Content, Sluggy Freelance.
I didn't look into the other two, but this post actually got me into XKCD. I don't see what the problem is, aside from some of the jokes being a bit too intellectual. But still, it's a comic aimed at people with a certain degree of knowledge, and just because you don't get it doesn't make it bad.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Wicky_42 said:
TrilbyWill said:
Souplex said:
There are quite a few.
I don't want to keep you here all day though, so I'll just give you the really popular ones that are terrible, and deserve to be taken down a few pegs.
XKCD, Questionable Content, Sluggy Freelance.
whats wrong with QC?
Lol, I double-took that you'd call him up for QC but not Sluggy or XKCD. Are you sure you got that right? :p
havent read sluggy and XKCDs jokes need you to know about computing a bit too often. it makes me sad because they look like good jokes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
All webcomics that base their humour on games and/or movies.

Which is about 99% of them.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Aw, I was hoping to come into this thread and find out about all kinds of terrible, terrible webcomics that go mostly unnoticed, that I could read and laugh my ass off and how bad they are.

But it's just everyone insulting the popular ones, how boring. I should've predicted it though, the site is full of teenagers.

PS: Except that 'sweet bro and hella jeff', that's exactly what I wanted. It's hilariously shit, and I thank you.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
I only watch a few and most of them are on escapist. I never was a big fan of comics to start but anyway.

Dunno why people would hate on Penny Arcade it's one of the few that is funny by beeing smart,Critical Miss does it too from time to time and I love it too. Maybe I like them both that much because somehow similar even if different.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
there seems to be a lack of
"in my personal opinion"
in this thread, just because you dont like it doesnt make it bad. If i come across a comic i dont like i just leave it.

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
I lost interest in both CAD and megatokyo, the slowly bored the crap out of me. (wouldn't say there bad, just bored me is all).

right now there only 2 web comics I truly like and there DR.mcninja ans "no need for Bushido"

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
I could be boring and mention CAD and all those just plain terrible ones drawn by creeps (like Boston and Shaun), but I'll just mention the ones I used to read because there were one or two things I liked about them but I eventually realized they were just not remotely good.

*Wapsi Square - I read this one for about a year before realizing that the author had no idea what he was doing. The plot went veering off in so many different directions, ideas were just abandoned, characters completely swapped personalities for no reason, etc. Also I'm really getting tired of girls showing how empowered they are by acting sexy.

*Sore Thumbs - this one did actually have a couple funny moments hidden in there, but it's like a Skinner Box: you just keep reading, no matter how much it makes you cringe, hoping to find one of those funny moments again, but you're always disappointed. I broke free eventually.

*Manly Guys Doing Manly Things - this one also has good moments, more than Sore Thumbs (and the art is much better), but overall it's pretty dull. Videogame/meme based jokes are just rarely funny anymore. This one isn't terrible, just...boring.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Pretty much every webcomic except Penny Arcade and Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is completely unreadable gutter trash. A special dishonorable mention goes out to VG Cats and Ctrl-Alt-Del, as well as Nerf Now!.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
I enjoy some comics that may not appeal to the average person (XKCD, PhD Comics) but of the ones that appeal to the general public, I have to say that I hate anything that isn't Cyanide and Happiness or Hark a Vagrant. Honourable mentions to VGCats and Ctrl-Alt-Del, there is a special level of loathing reserved for your comics.

The Eyeball Moose

Jun 16, 2011
smithy_2045 said:
Cyanide and Happiness. It's just not funny.
No.

I'm sorry, but NO.

I look forward to reading Cyanide and Happiness every morning. I mean sure, if you look too early in the archives it can be pretty ugly, but I love the dark humor and the variety that comes with four authors. Not to mention the animated shorts.

DeltaWolfson

May 9, 2011
lord.jeff said:
Lots of them most of them I forget, it's easy distribution and is mostly used by inexperienced individual so of course most of them are going to suck. As for popular ones that I don't like Megatokyo the guy started insulting he's fan base for no reason within the comic, he commonly insulted people before then but to make a story about anime fan being a bunch of idiots that cant bring there heads back in to reality is just horrible.

HT_Black said:
Everything here, with special mention to Monster Lover and Kit n Kay Boodle (for reasons that should hopefully be obvious).
I like some of those.
I know what you mean. Damn that site!