Badder-Ass Raiden Revealed For MGS: Rising

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
I don't really like the blond effeminate type of character. Raiden doesn't seem like the type of character you'd expect covertly sneaking through a guarded hostile compound, and neither does that armor he's wearing.

I'm going to guess that it isn't going to be a stealth game. I really hope peace walker is good.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
So we get MGS Rising on the 360 and PS3, which stars Raiden a character whom is almost universally hated by fans of the MGS series, and Peace Walker starring Big Boss whom nearly everybody likes on the PSP? Kojima can be a foolish man indeed.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........

Why didn't he look this badass in MGS4 O_O

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Treblaine said:
Why can't Raiden just die and stay dead.

Big Klepa Snip
I totally agree with you. Comparing the Raiden from that picture, with the Snake you posted, is like night and day.

When I look at Raiden, and imagine him killing someone, I'm thinking triple-double somersaults with superduper lightning effects, robot armor and blow dryed hair. When I look at Snake, I see a guy shooting someone in the face. Bang, and that's it. No double backflips, no antics, just bang, you're dead, I'm a murderer.

My main grief with japanese arts is the hefty amount of theatrics, flamboyancy and melodrama that's always present, when compared to western works. Not to make sweeping statements, but that stuff is generally considered pretty damn cool in Japan, and Raiden looks like the embodiment of that... trope.

It's all a matter of taste, obviously.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Damnit, damnit, damnit... why does this have to be on the 360? I'm, like, one of the five people in the Western world who LOVED Raiden and MGS2. And now we finally get to play as him again, in full-on Cyborg Ninja badassery, he's already gone Sub-Zero Fatality on a guy on the front cover- guess Raiden got pumped up by that MK:Reborn video too -and it's not even going to grace the system most affiliated with the extended family of Snakes? Damnit!

And another thing; why the 360? My impression was they LOVED Raiden in Japan. Is the 360 big enough in Japan for this? Or is that the point behind the exclusive, trying to expand the console by way of an established and loved character? And before you lose your heads, oh Raiden hatedom, I mean he's loved in Japan, regardless of your personal desire to strangle him with his own innards and post a video of it to YouTube.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I'll be the first to admit it. For some reason I thought this was talking about the Lightning God from Mortal Kombat.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
I Saw raiden and went OMG MORTAL KOMBAT! but sadly no. in other news ya he looks cool,although ive nvr played a mgs game......sooo ill be leaving

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Tom Goldman said:

Raiden's duds look to have gotten even more powerful than they were in Metal Gear Solid 4.

A new image of Metal Gear Solid: Rising [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-Xbox-360/dp/B002BRZ8FW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276197171&sr=8-2]'s packaging lifted from Xbox Live Marketplace gives us a full view of what Raiden will be wearing in the game. From the back, anyway.

While Raiden's cyborg-ninja suit from first rendered image [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Guns-Patriots-PlayStation/dp/B000FQ2D5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276198354&sr=8-1] of him from Rising, Konami's in-development next-gen Metal Gear title, showed this would be the case, but now we've got a body shot.

Raiden still carries his trademark sword, but also has a powerful looking rifle strapped to his back. The most interesting reveal in the new image is whatever Raiden is holding in his right hand, which looks like some kind of electric cat-o-nine tails. This could be the "lightning bolt action" referred to in the game's title. EDIT: Either that or, as the community points out, he probably just ripped out something's spine.

Sure, this is just one leaked image, but it's the first hint we've gotten to where Metal Gear Solid: Rising will take the series. Will "lightning bolt action" radically change the series, or will series creator Hideo Kojima tie it in to the stealth-emphasized gameplay the series is known for? He successfully melded regular gunplay into MGS4, so maybe he's got something shocking up his sleeve for Rising too. I just said that, yes. It's a strong bet that something on Metal Gear Solid: Rising will come out of E3 2010 next week.

Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=250457]

I may be mistaken, but it look like the Health bar from Dead Space. Anyways, i don't give a rat's ass since Kojima said he is done with Metal Gears.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
ummm not keen, liked sleek ninja suit... also im actualy dispointed by the rifle...i mean you guys ever played though all the parts of mgs4 u can with just you're knife... the game gets alot better
i was hoping for a real fast paced stealth, running from cover to cover the enemy shooting at ghosts petrfied antil you and you'r electrified sword get behind them. EDIT: just relised how dirty that sounds....
also anyone else notice how like dante (devil may cry) raiden looked at the end of metal gear solid 4....
i also actualy liked raiden orignaly, he was a good contrast to snake, it was just a dumb choice to stop players playing as snake before he had arthritus...
mgs 4 raiden was saying we had to bring him back so we combined him with everyones fav character (-snake) so youd love him... please love him :( please?
i fear there going to make this raiden into an over macho emotionless killing machine.
if he says "booyar!" will you lot help me burn down a good 90% of the script righting team and leave the rest alive to spread the fear...
as a last thought you guys rember the last level of mgs2 where you got the sword, how much like that you expecting this game to be?

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I'd say that outfit looks less badass and more....retarded. It's the hair. So out of place!

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
"Hey, who let that generic Final Fantasy character into my Metal Gear game - oh, that's Raiden..."

/sigh

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
Raiden can never be badass in my heart.

No one can recover from that... No one...

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
If they change the gameplay, will it even deserve to be a Metal Gear title. Except for the fact that a "Metal Gear?!" might show up in the game. If they do then I will not buy this. I can accept Kojima wanting to retire the Snake character..(sniffle)..I guess, but if Raiden is going to be our protagonist, I still want to do stealthy shit (hide in a box, choke out guards, etc.).